Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    13 yrs old in my own mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddog07 View Post
    Bit of a bump here, and slightly off-topic, but I didn't want to start a new thread.
    So any insight from you guys? From the pics your modded Recoils all look like at least 1000$ bikes, probably closer to 1500$ Those are defiantly some pretty good components on them.
    To give you my reasoning of where and why I choose a RECOIL.

If I had the means (money) to buy it all at once I would have bought a MISSION 2 up, all the great components all right there, but $2000+ worth of bike all at once, I just could not do without selling a body part and having a really good excuse for the wife. Sounds like you are in the same category I am in.

I REALLY like Diamondback's approach to all their bikes and really impressed with the Knuckle Box design but I will have to wait a little on it.

With the RECOIL you get a great quality frame like the Missions or Sortie frames, you were correct, no matter if it is the COMP or not it is the same frame. (They both have the same wheel-set and are QR.) The color would be a big factor black or matte titanium which I liked. If you have no high end components now or want to upgrade now, the COMP would be better choice; better rear shock, brakes and a remote lock out on the fork right off the bat.

I only paid $533 for my RECOIL delivered to my door, and already had 90% of the upgraded components on my hardtail.

The COMP version I see around for $800-$1000, I see Sortie 1's for like $1200, if that is the case I would save up the extra $400 and a get the Sortie???? (knuckle-box suspension, better components.)

I am really happy with the RECOIL, it looks good, rides great, and feels wonderful to ride. My riding style I guess is; ALL MOUNTAIN, as I ride anywhere and everywhere, always looking ahead for the potential jump, huckable rock, and adrenalin pumping path. The bike is considered more Trail bike so I hope my child like riding mentality, the RECOIL will hold up, for at a least a little while. Yes it is an old school design single pivot, but they are proven and less parts and this combo will work for me for now.

It is all about what you can afford to do NOW, how long you can WAIT, and where your priorities are.
    Last edited by Skulltoy; 07-29-2011 at 09:38 AM.
    Too many hobbies and not the proper income to support them all. Where's my karma boat?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well haven't seen any in stores, but on Amazon right now a Recoil is actually 650$ shipped for 18 inch frame and 18 inch Comp is 665$ shipped. For that pricing I think I'd go for The Comp because it does have slightly better components. Pretty much the Recoil is looking around that price everywhere, but the Comp is showing up as 900$, both 2011 models.

I'm going to the bike shop tonight to get a few things for a ride tomorrow and I'm gonna check out some other FS 26 inch bikes. I was there before and didn't see the Recoil or Comp, disaapointingly because they had The Overdrive and Diamondback's 26 inch HT.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Well haven't seen any in stores, but on Amazon right now a Recoil is actually 650$ shipped for 18 inch frame and 18 inch Comp is 665$ shipped. For that pricing I think I'd go for The Comp because it does have slightly better components. Pretty much the Recoil is looking around that price everywhere, but the Comp is showing up as 900$, both 2011 models.

I'm going to the bike shop tonight to get a few things for a ride tomorrow and I'm gonna check out some other FS 26 inch bikes.
    For only $15 more, getting the comp instead is a no-brainer. You probably won't find a decent fs bike at that price. I wouldnt wait too long, the prices on Amazon aren't always consistent. I got my recoil for $483 shipped in march, havent seen it that low since..

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well went to the bike shop today and I'm definatley going with a 26in FS bike. Recoil Comp seems like my best option. Also learned that I hate Presta valves haha. :/ Saving up and hopefully should beable to buy with September first's paycheck.

Well went to the bike shop today and I'm definatley going with a 26in FS bike. Recoil Comp seems like my best option. Also learned that I hate Presta valves haha. :/ Saving up and hopefully should beable to buy with September first's paycheck.
    Really? I actually like presta better, I have had too many shrader valve tubes have the stem damaged by the time I realized I snagged a goat-head and had to change the tube instead of putting slime in it.

.........back on the RECOIL subject, yeah if Amazon has the COMP for only $15 more than the basic RECOIL that is great price, Snag ASAP!

I bought mine at NASHBAR and it was a coupon for 20% off so I got my RECOIL for a killer price, sold all the parts I didn't need, made back probably $200 selling off the OE pull offs. The only original pieces on the RECOIL configuration is the seat-post clamp, headset, seat-post and seat. I replaced everything else.

They still have the sale 15% off but they only have the basic RECOIL small and large in stock, no COMP model.
    Too many hobbies and not the proper income to support them all. Where's my karma boat?

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltoy View Post
    ......I am going to go buy a Marzocchi now................juz 2 be different.
    Well I did it by the way, I updated the pictures as you see in my posts above. I will re-post it again in this post.

Everybody had to have a TORA on their RECOIL and I wanted to be different.

So I picked up a brand spanky new '11 Marzocchi 44 RLO for about $200 to my door. SWEET fork!

Very light and I like the air pre-load, I kept it at the 140mm and was not too bad with the geometry. Rides super nice and I like the all black, looks like a piece of art!

I also swapped out the RP3 for a newer RP2. Was having problems with the levers and adjustments and the design of the shock I couldn't mount it the other way as it would interfere with the swing arm. I gave that one to my wife to upgrade her bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Truvativ AKA 70mm stem. $19.95 shipped
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-stem.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So after yesterday my Walmart Special may be getting put down. I'm going to be gone most of August and was wanting a new bike in September. Don't think it's worth it to fix my hunk. Due to money and other factors I think I'll be picking up a 2011 Overdrive for a LBS for 500$ Guess down the road I may get the Recoil Comp, but for now it'll have to wait. :/ I've been on the OD and do like it, and it's better than not ridding at all.

So after yesterday my Walmart Special may be getting put down. I'm going to be gone most of August and was wanting a new bike in September. Don't think it's worth it to fix my hunk. Due to money and other factors I think I'll be picking up a 2011 Overdrive for a LBS for 500$ Guess down the road I may get the Recoil Comp, but for now it'll have to wait. :/ I've been on the OD and do like it, and it's better than not ridding at all.
    The Overdrive is still a great bike, having to live by a budget sometimes sucks, but you should be happy!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I bought my 2011 Recoil Comp from someone off of Craigslist who only had ridden it a handful of times. I got a steal for $525, and I'm extremely happy with it. I don't think I need to upgrade anything right now, the bike rides great. I added the bar ends, new pedals and rash guard to the back, but other than that, I'm keeping it stock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-img_20110802_180335.jpg  

Your Recoil Pictures, Lets see them all!!!-img_20110802_180347.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    nice

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i want one

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hello guys, just wanted to tell you that I love your bikes You guys inspired me to get my own Recoil. I have been wanting to try a full suspension bike without breaking the bank and upgrade with time. The recoil looks like is a pretty solid bike for the money. I saw them on Amazon for $450 shipped for the 2011 and I pull the trigger Will post pics as soon as I get it. First upgrade I am planning to do is the rear shock. Which one do you guys recomend. I know most of you have the Fox but what about a Rockshox?

Quote Originally Posted by lnc0321 View Post
    Hello guys, just wanted to tell you that I love your bikes You guys inspired me to get my own Recoil. I have been wanting to try a full suspension bike without breaking the bank and upgrade with time. The recoil looks like is a pretty solid bike for the money. I saw them on Amazon for $450 shipped for the 2011 and I pull the trigger Will post pics as soon as I get it. First upgrade I am planning to do is the rear shock. Which one do you guys recommend. I know most of you have the Fox but what about a Rockshox?
    The Recoil is a killer bang for the buck simplistic well proven suspension. I didn't buy the recoil because of the component package in either the basic or comp, but for its style functionality, reliability, and cost. If you are like us and upgrade over time the base frame is perfect to play with for the incredibly limited budget minded folk.

For rear shocks it depends on your $$ in the pocket at the time. you can pick up any good FOX float for $100-$200 pretty easy on line. Rock shox is good as well if you get the right model such as the MONARCH, but finding one with the bells and whistles (pro pedal or lockout) will be harder. Marzocchi also has some good rear shocks such as the ROCO LO DC but rare to see them used and they go for $350+ everywhere new.

Right now on ebay there is a guy selling a ROCO Air TST R for $270. So tempting but I got a newer shock as it is.......and the wife would not understand.

If you look around you can find deals everywhere, just reference the product reviews here on MTBR. I have personally ran a FOX FLOAT RP3 then an RP2 and now I run a 2011 Marzocchi ROCO LO DC and love it!

You will need a 7.5 x 2.0 or (190mm x 50mm) shock. Happy hunting and post pictures as you progress!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    my first post... got the recoil about 3 months ago and have put 100s of miles on it so far riding about 3-4x a week (x country and down hill) until last week when I destroyed my front rim and sheared my rear deraillure when I crashed.. it's being fixed by sports authority where I bought it under a warranty thing I bought.. i've also been looking on ebay for parts but havent quite found a great deal yet

last week I ordered a new fox float r for 100$ but when I received it, it was a normal fox float (no rebound adjust) so I returned it, i'm also looking into upgrading the brakes as my hands have been really sore from the effort, what hydro brakes have you guys upgraded to or have any of you used the avid bb7 that are pretty popular mechanicals?

so far that's my most disliked things on the bike is the rear shock and brakes I know the fork will come eventually

Oh and what size bushings did you have to use for the rear shock because when I got the other fox one it did not fit with my existing bushings...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eerieclown View Post
    Oh and what size bushings did you have to use for the rear shock because when I got the other fox one it did not fit with my existing bushings...
    I used Rock Shox bushings, but can't remember the size. I can look at the bag when I get home I guess.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I also just got me a Fox float rear shock for my recoil. These are the ones recomended by Skulltoy Fox Rear Shock Hardware Kits at Price Point regarding the size, I think is 21.84mm, but I am waiting on shock to confirm. If anyone can confirm if this is the right size so I can order them. Ohh and I want to thank Skulltoy for all his help

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i see the 21.84mm but there's a 8 and a 6 mm mounting width.. this would definately be helpful info thanks guys!

i see the 21.84mm but there's a 8 and a 6 mm mounting width.. this would definately be helpful info thanks guys!

Marzocchi, Rock Shox, FOX use the same bushings. Not sure if there were changes throughout the years of recoils but a 2011 used 8mm hardware (the bolt through the bushings), 21.84mm wide front and rear with (2) additional little spacers for the swing arm.

When ordering you would need (2) sets, (1) set for each end.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    what kind of spacers were they, like a universal one? and thanks!

oh just got avid bb7 set for my recoil

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The 8mm ones. You need two sets

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Well finally I am posting a picture of my stock 2011 recoil It is 2 weeks old and only seen the trails for and a couple of hrs. Will be riding it harder tomorrow I have a rear Fox Float RP2on the way. Fork will be next So far I love it. Paid $450 shipped No complaints and for those who say that is not worth it to buy a full suspension bike that costs less than 1K have not tried a recoil. Feels way better than my Fuji Nevada Hardtail and other more expensive hardtails that I have tried. Thanks guys to inspired me to get one

what kind of spacers were they, like a universal one? and thanks!

oh just got avid bb7 set for my recoil
    you already have them, if you look at the mounting at your swingarm end you will see two "black" spacers. You just re-use them. The bushings themselves are the same front and back, rear is slightly wider and has those black spacers. You could just measure specifically for the rear bushings but why make it different, just have one set for backup unless you lose the black spacers. :P

I love my BB7's, almost went to hydraulics but Murphy's law won, mechanical brakes like the BB7 with the better levers granted me great breaking without the complications of breaking a line and losing fluid.

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by lnc0321 View Post
    Well finally I am posting a picture of my stock 2011 recoil It is 2 weeks old and only seen the trails for and a couple of hrs. Will be riding it harder tomorrow I have a rear Fox Float RP2on the way. Fork will be next So far I love it. Paid $450 shipped No complaints and for those who say that is not worth it to buy a full suspension bike that costs less than 1K have not tried a recoil. Feels way better than my Fuji Nevada Hardtail and other more expensive hardtails that I have tried. Thanks guys to inspired me to get one
    can't wait to see the progress!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast