mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Your position on a bike

I mentioned this before, but not too many answers. I see so many magazines and such where people have their seat jacked all the way up and they tower over the bikes. I have a 20 inch frame and I am 5 11 and the seat is just about level with the handle bars. Is there anyone else that rides like this? Are these people I see, with smaller frames and their seat is higher because of the smaller bike? Does it really matter? Im just a recreational xc guy with some very novice dh here in there. I just like the way my bike feels.

Let me know guys.
    I like to ride my bike.

Let the good times roll.
    Saddles usually end up higher than the handlebars regardless of frame size. I ride a 19", and my saddle is a couple inches higher than the handlebar. Can you post a pic of your bike? Sounds like you either have your saddle below optimal pedalling height (full leg extension), or your handlebars are really high up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I think my handlebars are high up, with this stem. The seat is raised 5 inches from the bottom setting. My leg is not locked but has a slight bend. If I raise the seat higher, I wont be able to touch the ground at all... How tall are you?
    I like to ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    saddle position is determined from leg position on the pedal at it's lowest point, not whether you touch the ground or not. Most riders can't touch the ground with their feet when the saddle is in the correct spot. On a XC bike the saddle is typically higher than the bar. This weights the front wheel and keeps steering sharp. It's all about getting the most power out of your legs and into the pedals. You can't do this with your saddle too low.

mtbr member
    when pedaling your heel shouldn't be able to touch the ground when dropping your heel while your foot is on your pedals. Just above the ground, that is the rule i follow.