mtbr member
    Apr 2004

XTS pivots bearings?

I was wondering if there was any way to swap out my main pivot bushings for some real roller bearings. Has anyone done this, I've heard of people doing this to other bikes but have no idea where to start.

Eric

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

x2 pivots

Yeah I have a 2001 x2 and ive pretty worn out the nylon bushings. Id like to put some bearings in there as well, IF its possible. If not where can i atleast get replacement bushings????

email me

spokexx@hotmail.com

mtbr member
    Not sure about replacing the bushings with bearings, but any Diamondback dealer will order you a complete new set of bushings for about $25.00. I replaced the bushings on my 97 V-Link before I cracked the frame. I think I'll order a set for my 2001 XTS-3 just to have a set in case they are discontinued. I'd love to somehow fit bearings in there though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Thanks Dave

I did have the bushings rebuilt last fall but they have play in them again and my local dealer just shrugs. I love the way the bike rides and climbs but I don't want to be constantly working on the pivots. The bike is 2 years old and is not the real long travel design(4.5"). All in all it is a great ride.

Eric

mtbr member

My bushings are toast!

I was replacing my Julie pads this morning when I noticed some major play in the rear end of my 2001 XTS-3. My bike shop is going to order me a new set, hopefully Diamondback still stocks them. The bike is only a year old with about 700 miles on it, but I really love it. Lukewarm, did the bushings work out for you?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

XTS pivots

Dave, I did manage to get everything swapped over to sealed bearings. Go to McMaster.com and look up flanged bearings and order the 16mmx8mm flanged, then 'locktite' them into the bores and add a washer to the shock bushings to shim out for the proper widthin the swing link. As for the main bearings, I had to order sealed bearings through my LBS and ordered some 21mmx12mmx5mm and had the frame machined to accept the 21mm bearings.I did double up the bearings-2 side by side on both sides.I also had to order shims from McMaster 12mmx16mmx .15mm and slid them in between the main bearings and the swing arm to keep it from rubbing on the frame.The hard part was going to a 12mm pivot bolt,the stock is only 11mm. I found one at my LBS and lucked out, he actually had the bolt I needed. You could try and have a machine shop make a duplicate OEM pivot bolt but in a 12mm. When you put it all together don't over tighten anything and use locktite on all the bolts.
    Good luck,think it through thoroughly. My bike is still going strong 2 months later but it took me a month or so to figure it all out. If you have any questions contact me.
    One thing to consider Dave, I did all this major surgery because within a few days of rebuilding all the bushings some of them started to get play in them as bad as before the rebuild. Doing anything like I did probably kills the warranty on the frame, if you have an ongoing problem with the pivots talk to DB and see what the can do for you.The stock bushings are probably meant to wear out about once season depending on conditions. If you get no satisfaction like me then swap over to sealed bearings

Eric
    Last edited by lukewarm541; 10-11-2004 at 12:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Wow Eric, thanks a lot for that information, do you notice any differance in the smoothness of the suspnsion? Does it still feel solid?
    My friend took my bike to his machine shop and made new bushings from scratch and machined them to fit perfectly into the slightly wider frame holes. So far everything is perfect but if it all goes to hell again I'll be sure to try your bearing retrofit.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by lukewarm541
    Dave, I did manage to get everything swapped over to sealed bearings. Go to McMaster.com and look up flanged bearings and order the 16mmx8mm flanged, then 'locktite' them into the bores and add a washer to the shock bushings to shim out for the proper widthin the swing link. As for the main bearings, I had to order sealed bearings through my LBS and ordered some 21mmx12mmx5mm and had the frame machined to accept the 21mm bearings.I did double up the bearings-2 side by side on both sides.I also had to order shims from McMaster 12mmx16mmx .15mm and slid them in between the main bearings and the swing arm to keep it from rubbing on the frame.The hard part was going to a 12mm pivot bolt,the stock is only 11mm. I found one at my LBS and lucked out, he actually had the bolt I needed. You could try and have a machine shop make a duplicate OEM pivot bolt but in a 12mm. When you put it all together don't over tighten anything and use locktite on all the bolts.
    Good luck,think it through thoroughly. My bike is still going strong 2 months later but it took me a month or so to figure it all out. If you have any questions contact me.
    One thing to consider Dave, I did all this major surgery because within a few days of rebuilding all the bushings some of them started to get play in them as bad as before the rebuild. Doing anything like I did probably kills the warranty on the frame, if you have an ongoing problem with the pivots talk to DB and see what the can do for you.The stock bushings are probably meant to wear out about once season depending on conditions. If you get no satisfaction like me then swap over to sealed bearings

Eric

mtbr member
    The bearings in the xts are common industrial bearings, you can even get ceramics if you want to spend the cash. I ordered quality replacements from a local electronics shop that does a lot of motor rebuilds.
    Word to your mother.

mtbr member
    4- 6901's in the main pivot with a spacer in between ... pain in the ass to push out, I had to heat the frame a bit. 608's and something else in the linkage. I'll have to check for the other two.
    Word to your mother.