mtbr member
    Apr 2009

xc with a mission?

How much would i hate riding a mission in not that aggressive of terrain i live in iowa and cant afford to get to co or a lot of good riding often so iowa will get a good chunk of it which is a majority of xc there are some parks with some aggressive climbs and tricky downhills but not a ton thanks for helping with this decision im starting to lean towards the sortie 3 i can get that for just under 1400 and i can get a mission 2 for 15ish both new but i dnt have the opportunity to ride these particular bikes so the input is much appreciated how big of drops can the sortie handle as i like urban riding once in a while too thanks so much

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    As a rider with mostly xc stuff here there are times that huffing a 34lb bike sucks for me. I live in Missouri where my '08 M2 is overkill. So naturally against everything here I ordered a '11 frame and I'm gonna build one under 30lbs for the "go anywhere bike". I'm going 29er ht for my 25lb 1x10 xc bike.
    I've done a couple of endurance races on my '08 M2 50-60 miles and I barely finished. Just my two cents. There are some riders on here that have unlocked their's Missions potential (I'm not one of them)
    Sortie might be better for what you want to do? It will still rip down and up
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus
    '11 Specialized 29r EVO ht
    '11 DB Mission 2 w/Fox 36

bab74 on GORC

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I take my rig out which is a riot to ride but for when i want to mess around in town or what not i kind of want a bomb proof bike but like for sugar bottom here in iowa it is probably over kill but how does your mission climb?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Pick you up some haven rims, bar and stem. Xo drive train an titanium bolts and it would be great xc ride lol. Dude I do xc with my goat with it's stock parts an rides like a dream. Just ride the damn thing an get them legs strong!
    2011 transition 250
    2009 DB scapegoat

Singletrack Slayer
    I ride my Mission on a lot of XC stuff, it really flies. Having the Talas is nice as I love the 120 mode for XC or climbing. The bike can climb really well. Feels like a Sortie when climbing. But a lighter build would be a good idea if you can....My mission is a touch over 28 lbs now...lighter than stock Sortie 2.!
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    is it a pretty good deal what i can get them for i dnt see to many for sale anywhere around here so just want to make i would run it stock for a while

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    What year M are you getting? I really really like the my '11 compared to my '08. You want bombproof then Mission rocks plus with 6" will probably be the new xc standard very soon. Get ahead of the game now. If your riding a ss then you will be able to push a mission uphill easily. Mine climbs fine but I would like it around 30lbs or lower
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus
    '11 Specialized 29r EVO ht
    '11 DB Mission 2 w/Fox 36

bab74 on GORC

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Its a new 11 sortie 3 or mission 2 how big of drops would u consider with missioon over the sortie thanks

Singletrack Slayer
    If your looking/talking "drops" Mission all the way. No doubt
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~