mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Wifes new mtb diamond back lux 29er

So I pulled the trigger and surprised my wife with a new mountain bike today she's been wanting to loose some weight after my daughter was born so I got her this for starters from performance bike. She was super happy that I got it for her. only thing i don't like it doesn't have disk brakes has the holes for it and everything what do u guys recommend for brakes for her front and back Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    From what I gather Avid BB7s are the best mechanical disc brakes. Or at least the best value for the money.

I was thinking about getting a set, but after riding around this weekend, I think the current set I have work fine. So may just leave the bike as is.

After the BB7s, I think you're looking at hydralic brakes, which seem more complicated. ie you have to bleed them, be careful about how you store your bike (not upside down), etc.

So for a bike not so high end, I may not go higher than mechanical disc brakes. (not necessarily saying your wife's bike isn't a high end bike)

But to be frank, from what I gather rim brakes work fine for most applications. They're lighter and maybe easier to maintain? Also they're easier to use as a quick truing stand. So as long as they work and suit your wife's purpose, I might just keep the brakes for now.

Hope you guys enjoy! Our family went out for a quick four mile ride this past weekend and had a blast. It was overcrowded with pedestrians though. So I'm going to try to find a trail that's relatively easy and flat, and more suitable or geared towards bikes for our next outing.

Also if you post your question in the general section or beginner's corner, you might get more responses. Since your question isn't really specific to a bike manufacturer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Re: Wifes new mtb diamond back lux 29er

Ok thank u very much

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Good for you for getting your wife out there riding. Just be careful it can get expensive. I bought my wife a Diamondback Lux Sport 26er a couple of years ago. She caught the MTB bug as bad as I had it, and earlier this year, I ended up dropping a fair amount more money on a full suspension Trek Lush SL for her. I hope you guys have fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Re: Wifes new mtb diamond back lux 29er

Quote Originally Posted by cjvdbeek View Post
    Good for you for getting your wife out there riding. Just be careful it can get expensive. I bought my wife a Diamondback Lux Sport 26er a couple of years ago. She caught the MTB bug as bad as I had it, and earlier this year, I ended up dropping a fair amount more money on a full suspension Trek Lush SL for her. I hope you guys have fun.
    Thanks I hope she likes it she just had the baby so she needs to recover before she can ride