Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Why did you buy a Diamondback?

57K views 147 replies 97 participants last post by  MiWolverine 
#1 ·
I have to admit that the reason I bought my Overdrive was it seemed to be the best bang for the buck locally. I was able to get it for $459 at REI through and internet deal and had it shipped to the store for free. It was the cheapest 29er with disk brakes I could find that seemed to be decent quality and rate well. Also, REI's life time satisfaction guarantee and liberal return policy on things was a reason I chose to buy first bike from them. Not that I will take advantage of that but their customer service is top notch.

Basically the Overdrive was something to get me in the sport cheaply but next year, I would like to get a FS 29er and am looking to spend between $2k and $3k

That being said, it opens my choices way up to most brands.
Why would I want to stick to Diamondback?

Reason I ask, as I see no high end DB's on the trails.
In fact, I see no DB's on the trails other than a couple who has a his and hers and they are basic 26" v-brake bikes so I know they probably based their decision on price.

Not that having the same bike as everyone else matters to me, but there is something to say about popularity and quality. If all your serious riders are choosing particular brands, there is an obvious reason for it.

So why did you buy your first and/or last DB?

Was it price, comfort, brand loyalty, you liked the color, or some other reason all together?

See less See more
#5 ·
Growing up I never had a killer BMX bike, it was usually something from the PX that weighed a ton. One day my older brother took the city bus to Allen's Schwinn Cyclery on Hill St and a few hours later arrived home on a shinny new Diamond Back Viper (circa 1984). That bike was a work of art, two finger break lever, skinny rear tire, Haro plate (you know the one) kicks ass black and chrome colorway.

A few years later my brother was leaving for the military. On Christmas morning he said to me, "your present is in the garage where my bike used to be". Without delay I flew to the garage and guess what was there...my brother's DB Viper, which obviously had just become my DB Viper!

DB4L

Reactions: Tomac18
#2 ·
I don't own a Diamondback, but I've considered it. I can get one cheap, I work at a store that sells the brand. And the price is VERY tempting. But I've yet to find one anywhere that I can demo one. We never get the Mission in stock, and that's the bike I'm most interested in. The Overdrive is our big seller, it and the Response XE (budget hardtail). I have a tendency to ride a bike for a while, and if I don't absolutely love it, sell it and move along. And I have to admit that reselling a Diamondback worries me. People generally associate the name with sub $500 bikes as that's what most retailers seem to carry and sell the most of (REI, Performance, Dicks). So I worry I would not be able to sell the bike, even after buying it at a huge discount. That may seem petty, but it's MY concern. Otherwise, I don't have many doubts about the bikes themselves. I just want to demo one fist.

#30 ·
lol, your a Dicks guy. response XE is exclusive to them. Anyways I assure you that the Mission is b****in'! And reselling a Mission, Goat, Sortie or Mason is easier on a place like Pinkbike.Becouse THOSE are the DB's that get the praise in Bike, Mountain Bike Action, and Dirt Rag etc.I dont know where you live, but do consider that the Mission IS an AM sled.long XC rides will become a hefty work out.Maye also consider the Sortie, Sortie 29, or Overdrive Pro. ( other Overdrive models aren't much better than the Responses).

#4 ·
I think BigKahuna and Stonebreaker make really good points. I bought my M4 because of the price, and after riding the bike for awhile I love it. Which is good because selling it is impossible. Resale value on bikes is typically really bad, on Diamondback's its even worse. I'd say that if you get one, plan on keeping it for awhile.

#6 ·
Wasn't too concerned with the resale value of the overdrive since at $460 it can't tank too badly. lol

Even though I am not one to buy and sell, good warning on future purchases resale value.

#7 ·
The lack of available demos in my area and the problem with resale value are the things keeping me from otherwise strongly considering a Sortie 29er. My wife has a Mission 2 and really likes it, but she also wouldn't be able to get anything for it if she tried to sell. Good thing one of the kids will probably start riding it soon.

#8 ·
I got my 2012 DB Response XE on CL for a bargain $235 at the start of the season, but even as a newb to trail riding, after a few months it's showing it's limitations.

It's been a great introduction to the sport, but when I decided to build a new bike, a DB frame was last on the list.

Will make a good 2nd bike.

#9 ·
I got my 2012 DB Response XE on CL for a bargain $235 at the start of the season, but even as a newb to trail riding, after a few months it's showing it's limitations.

It's been a great introduction to the sport, but when I decided to build a new bike, a DB frame was last on the list.

Will make a good 2nd bike.
Well, the limitations are due to the response being a very entry level bike not to it being a diamondback.

The overdrive made the top 10 bikes under $1000 list.
It too is still limited.
I also guarantee every single one of the bikes on that list are limited as they are all entry level.

That being said, I still plan on keeping it after I get a FS bike and doing a few minor upgrades.

#12 ·
The 3.5 prices are very tempting. I haven't seen a pro-deal price list in 2 years...but those prices back then were VERY tempting as well.

I've been watching every week for them to get a stock of Missions in...they had them last week, and are down to a smaller frame size again.

#11 ·
Because the cost of the bike with a particular component group is almost unbeatable. I love my 2012 Sortie 29er 3. The components are amazing and the frame is awesome as well. and for the price I paid, it was a no brainer. I'm not a brand geek so wasn't after a big brand, but a good bike :)

#14 ·
At 60% I couldn't find a bike with comparable spec. I've got a 2011 Mission 4 for all mountain riding and ended up loving the damn thing. The latest pinkbike review is very accurate and paints a great picture of its abilities.

Who cares what other people are riding on the trails. In any given location that's probably going to be the big three or four companies, especially if they have dealers nearby.

#16 ·
I had an OLD Topanga DB that I loved still worked well for an old bike, but I was ready to upgrade, I got a overdrive expert 29er, I looked at out LBS and I couldn't get the same features on there bikes for less than 750 I picked up by new DB for 450.00. I not a crazy rider more light trails parks and possible commuter, so I think it will do just fine. So far I absolutely love it, my hubby has a specialized demo 9 and I prefer mine over his, I know they are different platforms but I'm glad I didn't go w something like he has.

#17 ·
I bought my OD based on price , I was looking at spending $1200.00 on a Scott Scale 29er , I just couldn't pull the trigger , then I came across a DB on craigslist , guy wanted $300.00 , got him down to $260.00 , it was basically new , he bought a closeout model , so I saved a few bucks , plus its a great entry level bike

#18 ·
i must admit i bought my Vertec Pro by mistake, well not really a mistake, i saved up some cash went out too get a bike, saw it reduced as it was last years model. So i bought it, im upgrading too a new bike and the only reason i didn't go for a new diamondback is A: because i wanted too try something different B: i couldn't afford the one i wanted.

#19 ·
I always had Diamondback MTB and with a BMX background I stuck with it.

I have to admit that the reason I bought my Overdrive was it seemed to be the best bang for the buck locally. I was able to get it for $459 at REI through and internet deal and had it shipped to the store for free. It was the cheapest 29er with disk brakes I could find that seemed to be decent quality and rate well. Also, REI's life time satisfaction guarantee and liberal return policy on things was a reason I chose to buy first bike from them. Not that I will take advantage of that but their customer service is top notch.

Basically the Overdrive was something to get me in the sport cheaply but next year, I would like to get a FS 29er and am looking to spend between $2k and $3k

That being said, it opens my choices way up to most brands.
Why would I want to stick to Diamondback?

Reason I ask, as I see no high end DB's on the trails.
In fact, I see no DB's on the trails other than a couple who has a his and hers and they are basic 26" v-brake bikes so I know they probably based their decision on price.

Not that having the same bike as everyone else matters to me, but there is something to say about popularity and quality. If all your serious riders are choosing particular brands, there is an obvious reason for it.

So why did you buy your first and/or last DB?

Was it price, comfort, brand loyalty, you liked the color, or some other reason all together?

#22 ·
because it was cheap! (isnt that the only reason why anyone would be caught dead on a diamondback?) I bought the frame, headset, stem, fork and crank off of craigslisr for $150 which is still probably too much since the trace can be had for about $300 from nashbar, but I already had a few good parts already.

#23 ·
Back in 2007 I decided I wanted a bicycle to just have it and ride around like I did in my teens. I enitialy went to Wal-Mart to see bikes, because that is all I knew....I knew nothing of Speacialized, DB or any of the top brands, all I know was "want a bike go to Wal-Mart" in fact I knew nothing of the mountain biking community and how awesome it is.

I went to dicks at our mall because I remember seeing bikes there once. I saw the Sorrentos and immediatley was interested because it looked beefier and racier, color was nice and all that. I asked the guy if they are better than Wal-Mart bikes and he said yes, by far. He asked me how I wanted to ride and I said road and quite a bit of offroad, so he set me up with a Sorrento .

As I walked around I saw this off yellow bike with disc brakes on it and it looked mean. It would be cheaper to get than the Sorrento, because it had a left-over discount. I sat on it and felt really good on it and liked the mean stance of it. I went on the internet to check the reviews for it and all of them were great as a perfect bike to get into serious MT biking without spending a ton....

I decided it would be a better value to spend a hundred more for a DB than a Wal-Mart bike because of the horror stories I read about Wal-Mart bikes plus I just really liked how beefy the DB was... So I bought it.

He pointed me to some trails around town and I took it up there and started riding trails. I couldn't believe how awesome that bike rolled down the trails and I didn't strain to pedal...it was almost effortless and I was cruising going over some small jumps. I rode for about three hours back there and I got hooked on MT biking. from there on I tried to learn more about MT biking, bikes and everything.....

Now I am more educated, know of the top brands and a lot better at knowing what bike I need to get.... Right now I'm thinking about a Crosstrail, but I am still riding my DB almost daily.

Diamondback is a great make, don't let people say it's a wal-mart bike....oh they are not.

I've seen cheaper components on hardrocks and rock-hoppers these days than Response Sports at Dicks....

I'll never part with my old Response....I oh it a good retirement, but that will be far away!

#25 ·
I bought my 2006 Diamondback Sorrento of the local sporting goods store for two hundred some dollars. I had remembered seeing soemthing in a bike magazine many years before naming a Diamondback mountain bike as the best value. Obviously it was a different bike. It was an okay bike for the money. If I had it to do over again, I would have bought a higherend used Trek or Specialized, etc, and cleaned it up. Oh well. I rode/raced the Diamondback for a few years till I bought a better bike, and then sold the Diamondback.

#28 ·
1. Price. I'm new to this sport and have no idea if I'm going to love it or hate it, or if I'm going to kill myself the first time out on the trails. I rode a ton of bikes at the LBS's ranging from $500-$1k, really couldn't tell all that much difference from one to the other outside of 29ers vs 26. I had planned to buy a bike locally after Christmas but saw the Overdrive 29er on Amazon for $349 shipped and couldn't pass it up given the reviews I had read. Got an Avenir 100 saddle, a set of Shimano clipless pedals and have been riding the heck out of it ever since.

2. I plan to give the bike to my son once I upgrade. If this hobby sticks, I'm going to want to upgrade soon, then I can give the bike to him and have him join me on the trails. :thumbsup:

3. I kind of wanted to at least partially assemble my first bike so I'd have a better idea of how to repair and tune it. Got the Overdrive fully assembled and tuned in about 1.5 hours and learned a LOT about how everything works.

#32 ·
DiamondBike used to make great bikes. The Axis TT is acknowledged as one of the best bikes of its time. But in 99 the got bought by Raleigh owners and became "Walmart" bikes. I wouldn't touch one. However, I think they have finally got their act together and producing good bikes again. I own 4 DBs, but none newer than 96. Will consider a new one, but really looking for an Axis TT

#35 ·
Hahaha value for the money you pay does not equate to cheap. Unless you buy a bottom tier Diamondback.

DB has in the last 3-4 years really put together some well built, well equipped bikes at good prices. Their full suspension line (SG, Mission and Sortie) are awesome. I have heard some people say for the price you can get this or that bike so why not get this or that bike? Simple enough- I don't want the same bike every Tom Dick and Harry is riding around on. DB is rare enough that I get people stopping me all the time asking what bike that is I am riding. I broke my 2010 Mission and am on a 2011 GT Force- been a great bike and I will be building it into a light weight trail bike.

I am coming back to DB and getting a 2012 Scapegoat frameset which is a smokin frame built for some burly riding.

If I could afford it I would pick up the DB Mason HT as well- aggressive HT 29er? Oh yeah. I think both Speshy, Trekkie and Cdale have yet to offer a slack, aggressive 29er HT to date. And if they did it would be priced out the wazoo.

#36 ·
I just bought a '96 DB Topanga on CL for $45. Besides the price, I like the classic geometry and bought it because I know the DB bikes of that era (even the base models like this one) were quality machines, and I wanted something nicer than my 15-y/o dept. store Huffy offshoot (FS Elite) for family toting duty on the local rail trail. Plus, just pulling the baby seat off and swapping rubber for something more grippy instantly gives me a capable full rigid for some classic offroad fun. It shifts and brakes competently and is supple like an old CroMo frame should be.

#37 ·
Just bought my son a Small 2013 DB Sortie 29 1 and he loves it. great stock set up with fox fork and rear shock, the knuckle box rear suspension is really sweet, he tore the trails up with it this week. Yes we did get this at 60% off retail on Promotive, but I couldnt pass that up as he really need a new bike and 29 was what he wanted... Very impressed with it so far, came with shock pump as well.. Diamondback Bicycles - Sortie 1 29

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.