Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Rogue Exterminator

Why did you buy a Diamondback?

I have to admit that the reason I bought my Overdrive was it seemed to be the best bang for the buck locally. I was able to get it for $459 at REI through and internet deal and had it shipped to the store for free. It was the cheapest 29er with disk brakes I could find that seemed to be decent quality and rate well. Also, REI's life time satisfaction guarantee and liberal return policy on things was a reason I chose to buy first bike from them. Not that I will take advantage of that but their customer service is top notch.

Basically the Overdrive was something to get me in the sport cheaply but next year, I would like to get a FS 29er and am looking to spend between $2k and $3k

That being said, it opens my choices way up to most brands.
    Why would I want to stick to Diamondback?

Reason I ask, as I see no high end DB's on the trails.
    In fact, I see no DB's on the trails other than a couple who has a his and hers and they are basic 26" v-brake bikes so I know they probably based their decision on price.

Not that having the same bike as everyone else matters to me, but there is something to say about popularity and quality. If all your serious riders are choosing particular brands, there is an obvious reason for it.

So why did you buy your first and/or last DB?

Was it price, comfort, brand loyalty, you liked the color, or some other reason all together?

mtbr member
    I don't own a Diamondback, but I've considered it. I can get one cheap, I work at a store that sells the brand. And the price is VERY tempting. But I've yet to find one anywhere that I can demo one. We never get the Mission in stock, and that's the bike I'm most interested in. The Overdrive is our big seller, it and the Response XE (budget hardtail). I have a tendency to ride a bike for a while, and if I don't absolutely love it, sell it and move along. And I have to admit that reselling a Diamondback worries me. People generally associate the name with sub $500 bikes as that's what most retailers seem to carry and sell the most of (REI, Performance, *****). So I worry I would not be able to sell the bike, even after buying it at a huge discount. That may seem petty, but it's MY concern. Otherwise, I don't have many doubts about the bikes themselves. I just want to demo one fist.

Butts Up Fast!
    I bought my Mission based on the component spec it came with for the price. 2 test rides sealed the deal for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I think BigKahuna and Stonebreaker make really good points. I bought my M4 because of the price, and after riding the bike for awhile I love it. Which is good because selling it is impossible. Resale value on bikes is typically really bad, on Diamondback's its even worse. I'd say that if you get one, plan on keeping it for awhile.
    Diamondback Mission 4
    Cannondale: Perp, SuperSix
    Tomac Buckshot SS
    BMC Speedfox

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Growing up I never had a killer BMX bike, it was usually something from the PX that weighed a ton. One day my older brother took the city bus to Allen's Schwinn Cyclery on Hill St and a few hours later arrived home on a shinny new Diamond Back Viper (circa 1984). That bike was a work of art, two finger break lever, skinny rear tire, Haro plate (you know the one) kicks ass black and chrome colorway.

A few years later my brother was leaving for the military. On Christmas morning he said to me, "your present is in the garage where my bike used to be". Without delay I flew to the garage and guess what was there...my brother's DB Viper, which obviously had just become my DB Viper!

DB4L
    2002 Giant Rincon
    2012 Diamondback Podium 3
    2013 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO 29
    2013 Giant Anthem X Advanced 2

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomac18 View Post
    I think BigKahuna and Stonebreaker make really good points. I bought my M4 because of the price, and after riding the bike for awhile I love it. Which is good because selling it is impossible. Resale value on bikes is typically really bad, on Diamondback's its even worse. I'd say that if you get one, plan on keeping it for awhile.
    Wasn't too concerned with the resale value of the overdrive since at $460 it can't tank too badly. lol

Even though I am not one to buy and sell, good warning on future purchases resale value.

mtbr member
    The lack of available demos in my area and the problem with resale value are the things keeping me from otherwise strongly considering a Sortie 29er. My wife has a Mission 2 and really likes it, but she also wouldn't be able to get anything for it if she tried to sell. Good thing one of the kids will probably start riding it soon.

mtbr member
    I got my 2012 DB Response XE on CL for a bargain $235 at the start of the season, but even as a newb to trail riding, after a few months it's showing it's limitations.

It's been a great introduction to the sport, but when I decided to build a new bike, a DB frame was last on the list.

Will make a good 2nd bike.
    Current Stable: 2011 Niner EMD, 2011 Vassago Jabba

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner_Boy View Post
    I got my 2012 DB Response XE on CL for a bargain $235 at the start of the season, but even as a newb to trail riding, after a few months it's showing it's limitations.

It's been a great introduction to the sport, but when I decided to build a new bike, a DB frame was last on the list.

Will make a good 2nd bike.
    Well, the limitations are due to the response being a very entry level bike not to it being a diamondback.

The overdrive made the top 10 bikes under $1000 list.
    It too is still limited.
    I also guarantee every single one of the bikes on that list are limited as they are all entry level.

That being said, I still plan on keeping it after I get a FS bike and doing a few minor upgrades.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Because I get 60% off on DB's. Speaking of which... I just ordered a 2013 Mission. Should be here in a couple of weeks. :-)

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Because the cost of the bike with a particular component group is almost unbeatable. I love my 2012 Sortie 29er 3. The components are amazing and the frame is awesome as well. and for the price I paid, it was a no brainer. I'm not a brand geek so wasn't after a big brand, but a good bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mg2380 View Post
    Because I get 60% off on DB's. Speaking of which... I just ordered a 2013 Mission. Should be here in a couple of weeks. :-)

The 3.5 prices are very tempting. I haven't seen a pro-deal price list in 2 years...but those prices back then were VERY tempting as well.

I've been watching every week for them to get a stock of Missions in...they had them last week, and are down to a smaller frame size again.

Wasting time
    I went with my Recoil because its hard to beat a $599 FS bike. I know that I can upgrade things on it and it will still be cheaper since im fresh to the sport.
    2012 Diamondback Recoil

-I keep finding more bikes I "need"

mtbr member
    At 60% I couldn't find a bike with comparable spec. I've got a 2011 Mission 4 for all mountain riding and ended up loving the damn thing. The latest pinkbike review is very accurate and paints a great picture of its abilities.

Who cares what other people are riding on the trails. In any given location that's probably going to be the big three or four companies, especially if they have dealers nearby.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
    The 3.5 prices are very tempting. I haven't seen a pro-deal price list in 2 years...but those prices back then were VERY tempting as well.

I've been watching every week for them to get a stock of Missions in...they had them last week, and are down to a smaller frame size again.
    Yep, that's the unfortunate thing about 3.5... Once they get a product in, you better buy ASAP.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I had an OLD Topanga DB that I loved still worked well for an old bike, but I was ready to upgrade, I got a overdrive expert 29er, I looked at out LBS and I couldn't get the same features on there bikes for less than 750 I picked up by new DB for 450.00. I not a crazy rider more light trails parks and possible commuter, so I think it will do just fine. So far I absolutely love it, my hubby has a specialized demo 9 and I prefer mine over his, I know they are different platforms but I'm glad I didn't go w something like he has.

mtbr member
    I bought my OD based on price , I was looking at spending $1200.00 on a Scott Scale 29er , I just couldn't pull the trigger , then I came across a DB on craigslist , guy wanted $300.00 , got him down to $260.00 , it was basically new , he bought a closeout model , so I saved a few bucks , plus its a great entry level bike

the weather is here wish you were beautiful

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    i must admit i bought my Vertec Pro by mistake, well not really a mistake, i saved up some cash went out too get a bike, saw it reduced as it was last years model. So i bought it, im upgrading too a new bike and the only reason i didn't go for a new diamondback is A: because i wanted too try something different B: i couldn't afford the one i wanted.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I always had Diamondback MTB and with a BMX background I stuck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    I have to admit that the reason I bought my Overdrive was it seemed to be the best bang for the buck locally. I was able to get it for $459 at REI through and internet deal and had it shipped to the store for free. It was the cheapest 29er with disk brakes I could find that seemed to be decent quality and rate well. Also, REI's life time satisfaction guarantee and liberal return policy on things was a reason I chose to buy first bike from them. Not that I will take advantage of that but their customer service is top notch.

Basically the Overdrive was something to get me in the sport cheaply but next year, I would like to get a FS 29er and am looking to spend between $2k and $3k

That being said, it opens my choices way up to most brands.
    Why would I want to stick to Diamondback?

Reason I ask, as I see no high end DB's on the trails.
    In fact, I see no DB's on the trails other than a couple who has a his and hers and they are basic 26" v-brake bikes so I know they probably based their decision on price.

Not that having the same bike as everyone else matters to me, but there is something to say about popularity and quality. If all your serious riders are choosing particular brands, there is an obvious reason for it.

So why did you buy your first and/or last DB?

Was it price, comfort, brand loyalty, you liked the color, or some other reason all together?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I bought one way BITD because Harry Leary raced them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamSparkyradRacing View Post
    I bought one way BITD because Harry Leary raced them.
    What ever happened to that guy??

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    because it was cheap! (isnt that the only reason why anyone would be caught dead on a diamondback?) I bought the frame, headset, stem, fork and crank off of craigslisr for $150 which is still probably too much since the trace can be had for about $300 from nashbar, but I already had a few good parts already.

banned
    Sep 2011
    Back in 2007 I decided I wanted a bicycle to just have it and ride around like I did in my teens. I enitialy went to Wal-Mart to see bikes, because that is all I knew....I knew nothing of Speacialized, DB or any of the top brands, all I know was "want a bike go to Wal-Mart" in fact I knew nothing of the mountain biking community and how awesome it is.

I went to ***** at our mall because I remember seeing bikes there once. I saw the Sorrentos and immediatley was interested because it looked beefier and racier, color was nice and all that. I asked the guy if they are better than Wal-Mart bikes and he said yes, by far. He asked me how I wanted to ride and I said road and quite a bit of offroad, so he set me up with a Sorrento .

As I walked around I saw this off yellow bike with disc brakes on it and it looked mean. It would be cheaper to get than the Sorrento, because it had a left-over discount. I sat on it and felt really good on it and liked the mean stance of it. I went on the internet to check the reviews for it and all of them were great as a perfect bike to get into serious MT biking without spending a ton....

I decided it would be a better value to spend a hundred more for a DB than a Wal-Mart bike because of the horror stories I read about Wal-Mart bikes plus I just really liked how beefy the DB was... So I bought it.

He pointed me to some trails around town and I took it up there and started riding trails. I couldn't believe how awesome that bike rolled down the trails and I didn't strain to pedal...it was almost effortless and I was cruising going over some small jumps. I rode for about three hours back there and I got hooked on MT biking. from there on I tried to learn more about MT biking, bikes and everything.....

Now I am more educated, know of the top brands and a lot better at knowing what bike I need to get.... Right now I'm thinking about a Crosstrail, but I am still riding my DB almost daily.

Diamondback is a great make, don't let people say it's a wal-mart bike....oh they are not.

I've seen cheaper components on hardrocks and rock-hoppers these days than Response Sports at *****....

I'll never part with my old Response....I oh it a good retirement, but that will be far away!

banned
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    because it was cheap! (isnt that the only reason why anyone would be caught dead on a diamondback?)

I'll put my 2006 Response Sport up against any Rock-Hopper class MT bike....anywhere anytime

Put on a better fork and lighter wheels....I'll go up against a pack of Stumpies!!!

bring it!!!

mtbr member
    I bought my 2006 Diamondback Sorrento of the local sporting goods store for two hundred some dollars. I had remembered seeing soemthing in a bike magazine many years before naming a Diamondback mountain bike as the best value. Obviously it was a different bike. It was an okay bike for the money. If I had it to do over again, I would have bought a higherend used Trek or Specialized, etc, and cleaned it up. Oh well. I rode/raced the Diamondback for a few years till I bought a better bike, and then sold the Diamondback.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast