Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Why did you buy a Diamondback?

57K views 147 replies 97 participants last post by  MiWolverine 
#1 ·
I have to admit that the reason I bought my Overdrive was it seemed to be the best bang for the buck locally. I was able to get it for $459 at REI through and internet deal and had it shipped to the store for free. It was the cheapest 29er with disk brakes I could find that seemed to be decent quality and rate well. Also, REI's life time satisfaction guarantee and liberal return policy on things was a reason I chose to buy first bike from them. Not that I will take advantage of that but their customer service is top notch.

Basically the Overdrive was something to get me in the sport cheaply but next year, I would like to get a FS 29er and am looking to spend between $2k and $3k

That being said, it opens my choices way up to most brands.
Why would I want to stick to Diamondback?

Reason I ask, as I see no high end DB's on the trails.
In fact, I see no DB's on the trails other than a couple who has a his and hers and they are basic 26" v-brake bikes so I know they probably based their decision on price.

Not that having the same bike as everyone else matters to me, but there is something to say about popularity and quality. If all your serious riders are choosing particular brands, there is an obvious reason for it.

So why did you buy your first and/or last DB?

Was it price, comfort, brand loyalty, you liked the color, or some other reason all together?

See less See more
#73 ·
I just ordered a DB Overdrive Pro online. I came across a deal too good to miss. $1,015 shipped for the bike. I was hesitant at first, so I went to REI to check out the comp model, and really liked what I saw. For the same price, I got the Pro model, with Fox Float 32 fork and a mix of SLX and XT components. I can't wait for it to get to me later this week.

...sent from my mind, using telepathy! Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel

#74 · (Edited)
I was looking for something that got a decent bang for the buck. I'm 53 years old, and a fairly new mtn bike rider. So I think this bike will do pretty well. I heard the forks are so so. I will ride it and see how I like the fork, and maybe upgrade later.

I got my Diamondback Axis sport 27.5" bike with an online coupon $560 + $20 + for 1 year membership + tax = $632 MSRP is $800. You can have it shipped to you with assembly required. I ordered it to be delivered to the REI near me where it was assembled by them. I have not even rode it in the dirt yet. Came close to buying a bike on Bikes direct. But I feel I got a decent deal.

Hydraulic brakes to boot. I'm going to put some clear plastic on some of the frame parts to protect the paint. Pretty good bang for the buck. I have an old 1994 Diamondback Axis TR I've been using over the last few years. I have only been on a real trail 1 time. Forgot about taking it camping, and riding it a few times there. Pretty sad. That is going to change.

#75 ·
I got my Overdrive Carbon Sport because the complete bike build put a lot of the more expensive entry level carbon framed XC HT bikes to shame. Specced with WTB Wolverine Tires out of the box is a huge plus, and smartly chosen wheels/fork/cockpit parts for ruggedness over a cumulative 1lb weight savings on my XL/22" model was brilliant decision making.

Basically, for the price of buying a cheap chinese no-name frame, finding a fork, and buying a discount grouppo, I was able to get a complete bike with warranty support, and a setup I already knew and liked. Even more impressively, the frame itself and graphics package were so well executed, I've only encountered a scant few bikes that are equally or more impressive in terms of finish detail and graphics styling for stealthy/subdued stuff, and all of those bikes are an order of magnitude pricier.

I'll start tricking some fancier parts over, but in stock form it's really an impressive bike.

#78 ·
Cheaper Price tag

Growing up I rode BMX a little and back then (at least in my area) you either rode a Diamondback or a Trek... Everything else wasn't cool enough. I was fortunate enough to own both and I loved them. Over the years Trek has definitely become the more premier brand and diamondback seems like they sold out somewhere down the line and the brand never gained back the popularity it once had. With that said I just got back into riding and I was dead set on buying an entry level ($500-$700) Trek but last minute I saw a Diamondback Axis on sale for $350 and jumped on that. My cousin has a Trek Marlin 5 ($500 bike) and we went riding this past weekend and our bikes seemed to perform pretty equally. However, my DB has an upgraded suspension fork and a 1x8 conversion using a raceface 32t chainring whereas his Trek is stock. His Marlin 5 has waaayyyy better brakes tho. Tekro Mechanical Discs suck!

Anyways.... Diamondback is a good brand and like all brands, if you want a really good Hardtail then you need to spend $1000+ and for a good FS at least $2500+. For me I couldn't afford that kind of pricetag up front so a $350 DB with upgrades as time goes along will have to do (and honestly I'm having a blast on my budget DB)

Here's a pic of my DB Axis so far:
Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Wheel

#81 ·
I just decided to back into mountain biking and I used to use and abuse my old Diamondback.

On my new bike I got a great deal. Paid $400 for an Axis XE, down from $600. I figure it's a great frame and I can run it hard until something breaks. When it does I'll upgrade with better parts. Not really interested in a full suspension frame just yet. I have a lot to learn and I think a hardtail is the best place to start.

I've been reading this forum for quite awhile but I decided it was time to chime in.

Hans is inspirational to me. It's a great frame, beyond that, it becomes a custom. Doesn't get better than that.

I've no intention of ever going pro. I just want to ride to work, to the gym, and hit the trails with my friends.

#82 ·
I wanted to get back into riding. I saw on an online retailer, a DB Overdrive Pro for $1299, plus an additional 20% off, end price was $1014 shipped. I pulled the trigger. Seems the spec on this bike would push other manufacturers into the near $3K range. So far, it's doing me really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#83 ·
Was shopping around for a large frame hardtail when I walked into a shop, and the owner said he had one at his house he just bought from a kid that didn't really ride it. It was a 2012 black Overdrive. He said $250.00, and I grabbed it. Still my daily rider to this day. Added a 3" riser bar, and a vetta padded seat that was actually bought for the seat post at a thrift store, but the seat was on it. Had no intentions of using the seat at all, but its the most comfortable seat so far. Never have used the seat post that it was on.

#84 ·
I Bought a few Diamondbacks over Q4 2015. Did a few upgrades to them to get them where I want and they are great bikes for the money. This is exactly why I bought them, because they are a deal. I purchased my Sync'r Pro from promotive at 40% off and then I bought a Overdrive and Lux from Sports Authority when they were on sale for Black Friday. Got them for $250 each and then got some points back for running shoes. The Sync'r is my ride and I got the Lux and overdrive (both 27.5) for loaners. Upgraded the Sync'r tires, wheels, brakes, Fork and cockpit, then moved those parts over to the Overdrive. Lux got new cockpit, brakes and tires. Less than $450 put into each the Overdrive and Lux to have Hyrdos, better tires, wider bars, new Cranks, and tires. Amazing deals is why I bought them plus they look really nice and while a little heavy are very solid!

Attachments

#86 ·
I bought a regular 2015 Atroz from Nashbar. I did not buy the Comp model. Total came to about $600 after their 20% coupon.

Pros:
- Good looking frame that works well based on what I've read.
- Rock Shox Monarch R rear shock, which I don't have to upgrade.
- Hydraulic brakes. It drags a little now since it's new, but should be better later.
- SRAM X5 9-speed system, which I don't need to upgrade.
- Simplicity of 1X front drivetrain.

Cons:
- Sungour XCM fork even worse than I could imagine.
- Not tapered headtube - jealous of the 2016s.
- Heavy at just under 34 pounds, due to the fork and the wheels/tires.
- Chainguide is a little noisy.

Future plans:
- I am cutting the bar down to about 680mm. It's just too wide stock.
- Air fork of some sort, but aiming for lighter weight of 1700 grams or less. Considering the SR EPIXON for $200, or a Reba for $300
- Depending on the fork, may go for a set of 4 pound or less wheels, and run tubeless. This together with the fork may bring the bike down to close to 30 pounds. Budgeting maybe $200 for the wheels, looking out for deals.
- I really don't need to upgrade anything else, but if good deals comes along for other quality components like seatposts, stems, or bars, I would swap those out.

So for maybe $1100 total, I would have a pretty good and reasonably light FS bike.

#87 ·
I bought a regular 2015 Atroz from Nashbar. I did not buy the Comp model. Total came to about $600 after their 20% coupon.

Pros:
- Good looking frame that works well based on what I've read.
- Rock Shox Monarch R rear shock, which I don't have to upgrade.
- Hydraulic brakes. It drags a little now since it's new, but should be better later.
- SRAM X5 9-speed system, which I don't need to upgrade.
- Simplicity of 1X front drivetrain.

Cons:
- Sungour XCM fork even worse than I could imagine.
- Not tapered headtube - jealous of the 2016s.
- Heavy at just under 34 pounds, due to the fork and the wheels/tires.
- Chainguide is a little noisy.

Future plans:
- I am cutting the bar down to about 680mm. It's just too wide stock.
- Air fork of some sort, but aiming for lighter weight of 1700 grams or less. Considering the SR EPIXON for $200, or a Reba for $300
- Depending on the fork, may go for a set of 4 pound or less wheels, and run tubeless. This together with the fork may bring the bike down to close to 30 pounds. Budgeting maybe $200 for the wheels, looking out for deals.
- I really don't need to upgrade anything else, but if good deals comes along for other quality components like seatposts, stems, or bars, I would swap those out.

So for maybe $1100 total, I would have a pretty good and reasonably light FS bike.
yea I'm bummed on not having a tapered head tube. but they do have headsets that will allow you to use a tapered fork. and I would suggest the SR epixon. have it on my old XC bike and it seems to be good and is very light. I might like it more than the XC30 rockshox that came on my atroz comp. I have never rode the reba but I have friends that have it and they don't like it.

I'm satisfied with the weight of the Comp. if I can shave weight off for bargain prices I will. I can imagine an air fork will do wonders for yours.

#88 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I saw some tapered forks for cheap on Merlin Cycles. A 2014 SID tapered 100mm fork for only $236. That's a heck of a price. But I'd have to add in $40 for the tapered bottom headset adapter from Canecreek. I am not sure if a 120mm fork is a good idea. The stock fork is 120mm, but the rear suspension travel is "only" about 100mm. So would a 100mm front fork also be a good fit?

I would love to find a 1/8 straight steerer 120mm Reba or SID with 15mm axle for $250.

Merlin Cycles also had some Mavic Crossride wheels for like $150 but I missed out on that one. That's a 4.25 pound wheelset with decent reviews.

#89 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I saw some tapered forks for cheap on Merlin Cycles. A 2014 SID tapered 100mm fork for only $236. That's a heck of a price. But I'd have to add in $40 for the tapered bottom headset adapter from Canecreek. I am not sure if a 120mm fork is a good idea. The stock fork is 120mm, but the rear suspension travel is "only" about 100mm. So would a 100mm front fork also be a good fit?

I would love to find a 1/8 straight steerer 120mm Reba or SID with 15mm axle for $250.

Merlin Cycles also had some Mavic Crossride wheels for like $150 but I missed out on that one. That's a 4.25 pound wheelset with decent reviews.
personally I would stick with 120mm front fork. 100mm would work but that would give it more of a XC feel. most all mountain style bikes come with a fork that is 10-20mm more travel than the shock. check ebay for forks. I always seem to find decent deals on there. I'm looking at getting a 130mm rockshox sector for my atroz.

and I have also looked at that mavic wheelset. seems like they go on sale a lot. might get them in the future. but first ill see how well the stock wheels old up.

#91 ·
Hi guys. What do you think about this one and the price? The nashbar ones or this. Thanks in advanced. Danny

Diamondback Men's 2016 Atroz 27.5-Inch Full-Suspension Mountain Bike

I cant exactly speak for the 2016 model at sports authority but the nashbar exclusives are 2015 versions and I bought one in December. I love it so far. I got the Comp version for 950. if you sign up for their email list you get bike discounts weekly.

#92 ·
Cbuth387 I like a lot the one that you have. But the 2016 has a different geometry frame suspension and tapered for the same 1000 around it.

My only afraid it is spend 1000 in a "walmart" bike. For 200 or 300 more are selling the Scott Spark 760 from 2015. But I don't know this is only paying just for the brand.

Danny

#93 ·
The frame geometry change is minor, IMO. Sure, it would be nice to have tapered steerer, but the Cane Creek heaset is only $55, and there are decent quality Chinese adapter headsets for $20. The rear is 12x142, but I am not sure it's that big of a deal. The mounting point for the shock is different, and again, is it a dramatic improvement?

The rest of the component mix is more or less the same between the 2015 and 2016, so your question comes down to whether you want to spend $300-$400 more for a frame with tapered steerer, 12x142, and different rear shock attachment points.

For me the answer was an easy no. I'd put that money towards a nice fork or wheels.

#94 ·
Additional comment. I don't think the Atroz is worth it at $1k, but it's not a Walmart bike either. I rode the 2015 one I bought for less than $600 new and it's not all that bad bone stock. The XCM shock is cheesy but it is functional. My biggest gripe out of the whole bike is actually the handlebar, which is an easy fix. The Scott you mentioned looks about par for the price vs what you get. It's roughly equivalent to the bike that cbuth387 got for $950, The Scott is a 3x9, however, whereas the Atroz Comp is a 1x10. This is something you'll need to consider.

#99 ·
Recently picked up a Catch 2. It's awesome.

Purchased because I wanted a full suspension 27.5+, and the price and overall package was too good to pass up. It's my first Diamondback, which I previously associated with big box stores, but people seemed to give the brand decent reviews so I thought I'd give them a shot.

After getting it, I had a friendly chat with Diamondback online and came away impressed with their support. One of my questions was if I could buy a derailleur hanger (I like to carry a spare, and didn't see any available on their site). They offered to ship one at no charge.

That's a good way to win over customers... this morning I ordered another Diamondback: an Interval Carbon (found a 2015 on closeout for $1099).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.