Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingAround View Post
    I'll put my 2006 Response Sport up against any Rock-Hopper class MT bike....anywhere anytime

Put on a better fork and lighter wheels....I'll go up against a pack of Stumpies!!!

bring it!!!
    My dback is now fully pimped. Slx shifters and cranks, xt deraileurs and brakes not pictured is a tower pro 120mm fork. All of that and more 1200 bucks

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why did you buy a Diamondback?-uploadfromtaptalk1356322885503.jpg  

mtbr member
    For me, never had one fail me, always a good component group on them and I've always just like the fit, finish and frame designs.
    "There's Squatch in them woods!!!"

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    1. Price. I'm new to this sport and have no idea if I'm going to love it or hate it, or if I'm going to kill myself the first time out on the trails. I rode a ton of bikes at the LBS's ranging from $500-$1k, really couldn't tell all that much difference from one to the other outside of 29ers vs 26. I had planned to buy a bike locally after Christmas but saw the Overdrive 29er on Amazon for $349 shipped and couldn't pass it up given the reviews I had read. Got an Avenir 100 saddle, a set of Shimano clipless pedals and have been riding the heck out of it ever since.

2. I plan to give the bike to my son once I upgrade. If this hobby sticks, I'm going to want to upgrade soon, then I can give the bike to him and have him join me on the trails.

3. I kind of wanted to at least partially assemble my first bike so I'd have a better idea of how to repair and tune it. Got the Overdrive fully assembled and tuned in about 1.5 hours and learned a LOT about how everything works.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    for the parts. honestly. Got a scorching deal on a mission pro, decided it was worth giving a shot. If I dont like the knucklebox, sell frame for a couple hundred.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
    I don't own a Diamondback, but I've considered it. I can get one cheap, I work at a store that sells the brand. And the price is VERY tempting. But I've yet to find one anywhere that I can demo one. We never get the Mission in stock, and that's the bike I'm most interested in. The Overdrive is our big seller, it and the Response XE (budget hardtail). I have a tendency to ride a bike for a while, and if I don't absolutely love it, sell it and move along. And I have to admit that reselling a Diamondback worries me. People generally associate the name with sub $500 bikes as that's what most retailers seem to carry and sell the most of (REI, Performance, *****). So I worry I would not be able to sell the bike, even after buying it at a huge discount. That may seem petty, but it's MY concern. Otherwise, I don't have many doubts about the bikes themselves. I just want to demo one fist.
    lol, your a ***** guy. response XE is exclusive to them. Anyways I assure you that the Mission is b****in'! And reselling a Mission, Goat, Sortie or Mason is easier on a place like Pinkbike.Becouse THOSE are the DB's that get the praise in Bike, Mountain Bike Action, and Dirt Rag etc.I dont know where you live, but do consider that the Mission IS an AM sled.long XC rides will become a hefty work out.Maye also consider the Sortie, Sortie 29, or Overdrive Pro. ( other Overdrive models aren't much better than the Responses).

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    because it was cheap! (isnt that the only reason why anyone would be caught dead on a diamondback?) I bought the frame, headset, stem, fork and crank off of craigslisr for $150 which is still probably too much since the trace can be had for about $300 from nashbar, but I already had a few good parts already.
    have NO problem being caught on a DB Sortie 3. or for that matter Mission, or scape goat. it \the cheap a** Recoils and Response that are that bad for a entry level.But then we all start somewhere.BTW the Trace isnt a Mountain bike.lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    DiamondBike used to make great bikes. The Axis TT is acknowledged as one of the best bikes of its time. But in 99 the got bought by Raleigh owners and became "Walmart" bikes. I wouldn't touch one. However, I think they have finally got their act together and producing good bikes again. I own 4 DBs, but none newer than 96. Will consider a new one, but really looking for an Axis TT

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    My dback is now fully pimped. Slx shifters and cranks, xt deraileurs and brakes not pictured is a tower pro 120mm fork. All of that and more 1200 bucks

u
    What is that??? thats not an Overdrive...or a mountain bike,the welds are wrong.That looks like a Trace hybrid.Thats not a Manitou Tower Pro either, its Trace's stock Suntour pogo fork! LOL!!!! Perhaps your pix should match your description.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by witchdr77 View Post
    u
    What is that??? thats not an Overdrive...or a mountain bike,the welds are wrong.That looks like a Trace hybrid.Thats not a Manitou Tower Pro either, its Trace's stock Suntour pogo fork! LOL!!!! Perhaps your pix should match your description.
    Can u read? I stated that not pictured was the tower pro fork. Everything else i said is on the bike is pictured. Yes its a trace. 29" by 2.1 tubeless wheels and tower pro = a lot more than a hybrid! My first foray into mtb to see if i would like it. Its already been torn down and rebuilt into a yelli screamy. Bye bye dback!

mtbr member
    Hahaha value for the money you pay does not equate to cheap. Unless you buy a bottom tier Diamondback.

DB has in the last 3-4 years really put together some well built, well equipped bikes at good prices. Their full suspension line (SG, Mission and Sortie) are awesome. I have heard some people say for the price you can get this or that bike so why not get this or that bike? Simple enough- I don't want the same bike every Tom Dick and Harry is riding around on. DB is rare enough that I get people stopping me all the time asking what bike that is I am riding. I broke my 2010 Mission and am on a 2011 GT Force- been a great bike and I will be building it into a light weight trail bike.

I am coming back to DB and getting a 2012 Scapegoat frameset which is a smokin frame built for some burly riding.

If I could afford it I would pick up the DB Mason HT as well- aggressive HT 29er? Oh yeah. I think both Speshy, Trekkie and Cdale have yet to offer a slack, aggressive 29er HT to date. And if they did it would be priced out the wazoo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I just bought a '96 DB Topanga on CL for $45. Besides the price, I like the classic geometry and bought it because I know the DB bikes of that era (even the base models like this one) were quality machines, and I wanted something nicer than my 15-y/o dept. store Huffy offshoot (FS Elite) for family toting duty on the local rail trail. Plus, just pulling the baby seat off and swapping rubber for something more grippy instantly gives me a capable full rigid for some classic offroad fun. It shifts and brakes competently and is supple like an old CroMo frame should be.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Just bought my son a Small 2013 DB Sortie 29 1 and he loves it. great stock set up with fox fork and rear shock, the knuckle box rear suspension is really sweet, he tore the trails up with it this week. Yes we did get this at 60% off retail on Promotive, but I couldnt pass that up as he really need a new bike and 29 was what he wanted... Very impressed with it so far, came with shock pump as well.. Diamondback Bicycles - Sortie 1 29
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why did you buy a Diamondback?-spencersortie.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    In my BMX days I rode a Reactor and had some great times with it. Always loved the pricepoint of Diamondback...I never keep my bikes stock so I usually just bought whatever frame I liked and slowly customized.

I got my response from my brother who got it dirt cheap from a sports authority. It was sitting in the back...i guess it came missing some parts. For a cross-country bike...this little hardtail has been great to me.

My next bike will be a used Mission once I get the funds. Need a full suspension bike to go along with my hardtail.

mtbr member
    We have a small 2008 Mission 2 that we're interested in selling. Lots of cosmetic scratches, but otherwise great. Fork was just overhauled with new seals, etc. PM me if interested.
    2012 Salsa Horsethief
    2005 Independent Fabrication Deluxe

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by progfan1 View Post
    We have a small 2008 Mission 2 that we're interested in selling. Lots of cosmetic scratches, but otherwise great. Fork was just overhauled with new seals, etc. PM me if interested.
    Need a large frame! Let me know if you see one!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Bought a '12 Overdrive from Amazon as an entry 29er with good components. Getting back on the horse and moving on from a 2005 FS Walgoose. It functions very well for what it was supposed to be - a pure mountain bike. However, I had a little more utility in mind and am finding it limited when it comes to rack and fender mounting. Not sure whether I should do a frame swap or something else. Considering seeing this summer if I deserve a dedicated mountain bike. If so, I might strip it back to stock and enjoy it in its purest form.

Do other people consider them relatively light? I think it's quite light, while ironically I care very little for light weight. Every ounce of bike is that many more calories to burn for me...

mtbr member

Why did you buy a Diamondback?

Just purchase the 2013 Sortie Comp. I get a pro discount (60% off). But even without it I think the components and bike are worth the $2800 MSRP. Where else will you get fox ctd 32 fork, fox ctd rear, xt rear mech, Deore front mech, hydraulic shimano brakes for that price.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JHart94949 View Post
    Just purchase the 2013 Sortie Comp. I get a pro discount (60% off). But even without it I think the components and bike are worth the $2800 MSRP. Where else will you get fox ctd 32 fork, fox ctd rear, xt rear mech, Deore front mech, hydraulic shimano brakes for that price.
    +1, thats a might fine ride!
    Last edited by witchdr77; 04-01-2013 at 03:33 PM. Reason: spelling error

mtbr member

Why did you buy a Diamondback?

Here she is. Nothing cheap about it!!

Why did you buy a Diamondback?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1365949943.613474.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    What's a "pro discount"? How are people getting 60% off on brand new bikes? I got my sortie 29er at a good price, but nowhere near 60% off... I'd probably have the Mission too if I can get a deal like that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    A "Pro Discount" is reserved for those who work in the industry, retail or Government Service.
    For the Retail side for example, if you work for an LBS, Performance Bike, Nashbar, Dick's Sporting Goods or Sports Authority, you will need to take an on line coarse by a 3rd party.
    Expertcity, is the parent company of 3Point5 and Promotive.The Training criteria is set up by Diamondback.Once you pass that training that covers the Brand/company History and focus,Technologies like DB's Knuckle Box suspension for example.Then how to qualifiy the proper ride to your customer,you recieve FAT discounts, sometimes off of the wholesale or at cost price as well not just the MSRP.I get this discount off of four other bike brands and many others too like Mountain Hardwear, Pearl Izumi, the North Face and Keen etc. If you pass with a close to perfect score you may get even more than off wholesale, not just retail.The more you learn the igger the discount.The tests are timed also. So, to get that nice discount you have to get all questions right and in the fastest time possible.
    Unfortinately, some companies look down on this 3rd party training and their customers suffer. For example Dick's Sporting Goods prefer the employees dont use this training, nor make purchases from there... depending on the manager they feel it takes away from their own discounted sales, interupts incoming shippments of regular stock, and becouse they do not allow you to complete this training on the clock, is a form of working off the time clock.
    If you cross shop a Diamondback Overdrive from Dick's or Sports authority to Performance, REI or an LBS you will see the BIG differance that comes trained and not trained by this quality incentive.
    Last edited by witchdr77; 04-20-2013 at 06:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I just bought the sortie 2 29er on pro deal for 1800. For the price it blew away anything else for that price. I haven't ridden many other FS 29ers but I do like the knucklebox suspension for what I do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
    The 3.5 prices are very tempting. I haven't seen a pro-deal price list in 2 years...but those prices back then were VERY tempting as well.

I've been watching every week for them to get a stock of Missions in...they had them last week, and are down to a smaller frame size again.
    what are 3.5 prices ?

mtbr member

Re: Why did you buy a Diamondback?

3 point 5 is a professional discount offered to people who work in retail. It is actually part of promotive which expands the pro discount out to others such as military, police, and other professionals who might use the product more than your average person. It is how a lot of company's get their product "tested and approved" by military and police.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I choose Diamondback because it's all ive ever ridden for a mountain bike! My first was a 97 DBR Vlink 3.2, Then I had an 03 XTS moto both of which I bought used for cheap and have sold. and I just got an 01 XSL Race also bough used for a great price!! cant wait to tear up some trails on it!
    2013 DB Overdrive sport 29r
    2001 DB XSL Race=Garage queen
    2003 DBR XTS Moto=sold
    1998 DBR Vlink 3.2=sold

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast