Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    I got my because the overall quality in my opinion was better than what other models were in it's class. The frame build was what sold me I know the components aren't meant for hard riding which was perfect for me cause it's more of a commuter bike than trail bike. And if your patient and look you can find upgraded components at great prices.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I bought mine because it was cheap. I don't care about bells and whistles. Whatever breaks gets replaced with better spec. The frame welds were perfect. I've seen other bikes more expensive with worse welds. I admit I did everything possible not to buy one but for the price I couldn't pass it up. I've changed everything but the wheels and frame and it's a great bike. Besides like everything else now a days the bikes are all made in the same factory most likely so it didn't really matter to me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Re: Why did you buy a Diamondback?

Bought my Overdrive because it was cheap & I was broke. Wanted something to ride. Rode it for awile then parked it. Didn't live in a area good gor cycling.
    last year I moved. MUCH better area for cycling & mtb riding.

I cracked the frame on that bike. My Warranty thread. This is the bike Diamondback replaced with.

I do like the new bike but wish it had SRAM instead of Shimano. Mostly I do not like integrated shifters and brake levers. Entry level SRAM X4 just seemed to work better shifting than Acera.

But it gets me on the trails grinning like a lunatic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Are you going to swap out the shimano for sram?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Maybe. Just going to ride the snot out of it. Need to pay a few bills off then change the fork.

Oh, the brakes are Promax not the Tektro speced on website. Still does the job and I do have a new set of BB7s to swap out

mtbr member
    Oh ok got ya I hear you on the paying bills part!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I bought my 2011 Recoil Comp as my first real mountain bike, with full suspension at that. Its a good frame to slowly upgrade on, and not a lot of people own them either, so it is slightly unique. I haven't been riding all too much this summer, because I needed money to upgrade the pogo stick of death fork. Have a SR Suntour Epicon in the mail which I plan on using 120mm travel. I'll hopefully live in Utah next year, which is going to be some really good riding (I'll just have to watch for those pesky rattlers). Eventually I plan on having a nice little 1x10 trail bike that would probably retail for around $1,200-1500

Eventually I'd love to get into downhill/freeride style riding (I already pretty much the down parts of trails) and I would love to buy a upper Mission or Scapegoat once my riding abilities of that type riding outgrow my Recoil Comp (so, after I master beginner trails basically)

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Because $500 for brand new 2011 Scapegoat frame.....

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Money

I bought my used 2011 sortie 29er 1 frame/fox fork/+ a few extras off ebay for the same price I would have paid just for a comparable frame from one of the big names. I've had it for 2 years now and it is still joy to ride. 75% of the bikes around here a Trek, specialized, or cannondale so it is kind of cool to have something different.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Why did you buy a Diamondback?

Quote Originally Posted by Whacked View Post
    Bought my Overdrive because it was cheap & I was broke. Wanted something to ride. Rode it for awile then parked it. Didn't live in a area good gor cycling.
    last year I moved. MUCH better area for cycling & mtb riding.

I cracked the frame on that bike. My Warranty thread. This is the bike Diamondback replaced with.

I do like the new bike but wish it had SRAM instead of Shimano. Mostly I do not like integrated shifters and brake levers. Entry level SRAM X4 just seemed to work better shifting than Acera.

But it gets me on the trails grinning like a lunatic.

Totally agree with you on the sram stuff...I switched out my Altus stuff to all sram x4 components, it's like night and day, and I know the x4 stuff is entry level, but I haven't had an issue with it yet, and I've romped it pretty hard lol

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I bought my overdrive sport because it was the first "like new" condition bike that came available within my price range on craigslist. I wanted 29er/27.5er, hydro discs, and lockout fork for under $400.00. Looking back I could have done without the LO fork as I never use that feature.

No regrets whatsoever. This bike got me back into a sport I forgot I loved. Sometimes I wish I was on a full suspension, sometimes I want more slack, sometimes I miss my old 26er, but sometimes this bike is nearly perfect. Just depends on where I ride and which lines I choose. I probably wont buy another Diamondback anytime soon because my next bike will be a 26er full squish AM bike and I plan to keep this 29er my lighter duty bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    bought mine because i got 40 percent off of it through Apple.
    2015 DB HOOK
    Why did you buy a Diamondback?-img_0311.jpg

mtbr member
    I bought my 2014 Sortie because I had a considerable discount. Nothing could come close spec - wise for the money. Most folks seemed to speak highly of the Knuckebox design so I decided to give it a shot. I'm glad I did, I absolutely love the bike. The welds on the frame are well done and all else is good quality. I wouldn't hesitate to buy Diamondback again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I think DB gets a bad rap is because they make low end bikes, but they also make High end bikes. I bought mine as a leftover waaaaaay back in 1998, beautiful black sorrento. I am a cheap @$$ by nature so it was a struggle to spend $300+ on a bicycle, but I did it, that bike is still in my garage I just put another 23 miles on it yesterday. I think DB changed ownership shortly after that, and the started selling bikes at dept stores I think I saw one at Target even. That has a way of setting a tone for "walmart bikes", I think though that the good ones are as good as any others in their price point. I just found out that I get 40% off DB through work. so as soon as I get the money togeather I think I am going to drop some cash on DB axis comp or overdrive comp. I hope I am right and not setting myself up for failure, but I just cant cut loose with $1000+ for a bike right now.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Long story short I use to really enjoy mountain biking when I was younger before college. Now after a few years of college, a few beers and a few pounds later I wanted to get back into shape. I figured why not combine my health goals with a past love. This led to me ordering a 2015 Diamondback Mission 2.0 (size large). My last bike was a hard tail with a cheapo RockShox. It's been a hell of a learning curve but I've loved every minute of it so far! One of the main reasons I chose diamondback is I work at an outdoor store and was able to order my bike brand new for $1840 shipped to my work. Not bad for a $3800 bike I gotta say lol.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I always wanted to try mountain biking so I bought an end of the year 2012 Recoil for $300. Rode it stock for two years until a month ago when I did my first upgrade. A set of Answer Rove pedals. For my style of riding, the heavy 35 lbs weight, the so called "pogo" stick suspensions that every talked about didn't bothered me at all. I made do with what I had for 2 years. Now, slowly but surely, I started eyeing a new rear shock. Looking into a Manitou Radium, a DVM or maybe even an X-Fusion. The annoucement of the new Shimano XT 8000 seems interesting and reasonably priced. Will wait and see.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by crafferty View Post
    Long story short I use to really enjoy mountain biking when I was younger before college. Now after a few years of college, a few beers and a few pounds later I wanted to get back into shape. I figured why not combine my health goals with a past love. This led to me ordering a 2015 Diamondback Mission 2.0 (size large). My last bike was a hard tail with a cheapo RockShox. It's been a hell of a learning curve but I've loved every minute of it so far! One of the main reasons I chose diamondback is I work at an outdoor store and was able to order my bike brand new for $1840 shipped to my work. Not bad for a $3800 bike I gotta say lol.

Same exact reason for me. I will do it again in heart beat. I got a mission one 27.5 but pretty much upgraded everything besides the brakes, rear shock and crank haha. The bike is so pimp now and rides like a monster truck.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Strife21 View Post
    Same exact reason for me. I will do it again in heart beat. I got a mission one 27.5 but pretty much upgraded everything besides the brakes, rear shock and crank haha. The bike is so pimp now and rides like a monster truck.
    Post up a picture of this bad boy!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Post up a picture of this bad boy!
    Here she is:

Why did you buy a Diamondback?-img_0847.jpgWhy did you buy a Diamondback?-img_0844.jpg

Upgrades:

2015 Fox Factory Float 34 160mm FIT CTD w/ trail adjust
    Race Face Atlas Kash Money Handlebars cut down to 760mm
    Race Face Atlas 50mm Stem
    Ergon GE1 Grips
    Cane Creek 40 Series Headset
    Thomson Elite 367mm Seatpost
    Chromag QR Seatpost Collar
    Spank Oozy Trail 295 Beadbite Wheelset
    Maxxis Minion DHF and Maxxis Minion DHR II tires running tubless
    Nukeproof Electron Pedals

Total Weight is 31.69 pounds

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Bike looks great!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Bike looks great!
    Thanks man. How do you like your Mission 2? I was a bit worried about the 1x10 drive train but my legs have adapted pretty well and just gotten stronger so I suppose thats a win win.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Strife21 View Post
    Thanks man. How do you like your Mission 2? I was a bit worried about the 1x10 drive train but my legs have adapted pretty well and just gotten stronger so I suppose thats a win win.
    The more I ride the more I like the 1x10. It is taking some getting use to though. I love having a dropper post now too. It comes in handy so often especially since I'm rusty and have more "oh s!&#" moments than most probably.

mtbr member

Why did you buy a Diamondback?

I just ordered a DB Overdrive Pro online. I came across a deal too good to miss. $1,015 shipped for the bike. I was hesitant at first, so I went to REI to check out the comp model, and really liked what I saw. For the same price, I got the Pro model, with Fox Float 32 fork and a mix of SLX and XT components. I can't wait for it to get to me later this week.

...sent from my mind, using telepathy!Why did you buy a Diamondback?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1433022507.443339.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I was looking for something that got a decent bang for the buck. I'm 53 years old, and a fairly new mtn bike rider. So I think this bike will do pretty well. I heard the forks are so so. I will ride it and see how I like the fork, and maybe upgrade later.

I got my Diamondback Axis sport 27.5" bike with an online coupon $560 + $20 + for 1 year membership + tax = $632 MSRP is $800. You can have it shipped to you with assembly required. I ordered it to be delivered to the REI near me where it was assembled by them. I have not even rode it in the dirt yet. Came close to buying a bike on Bikes direct. But I feel I got a decent deal.

Hydraulic brakes to boot. I'm going to put some clear plastic on some of the frame parts to protect the paint. Pretty good bang for the buck. I have an old 1994 Diamondback Axis TR I've been using over the last few years. I have only been on a real trail 1 time. Forgot about taking it camping, and riding it a few times there. Pretty sad. That is going to change.
    Last edited by mtnbkkr; 05-31-2015 at 07:12 PM.

Cactus Cuddler
    I got my Overdrive Carbon Sport because the complete bike build put a lot of the more expensive entry level carbon framed XC HT bikes to shame. Specced with WTB Wolverine Tires out of the box is a huge plus, and smartly chosen wheels/fork/cockpit parts for ruggedness over a cumulative 1lb weight savings on my XL/22" model was brilliant decision making.

Basically, for the price of buying a cheap chinese no-name frame, finding a fork, and buying a discount grouppo, I was able to get a complete bike with warranty support, and a setup I already knew and liked. Even more impressively, the frame itself and graphics package were so well executed, I've only encountered a scant few bikes that are equally or more impressive in terms of finish detail and graphics styling for stealthy/subdued stuff, and all of those bikes are an order of magnitude pricier.

I'll start tricking some fancier parts over, but in stock form it's really an impressive bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Nice Overdrive Carbon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Before my WY and UT spring trip i found great online deal for DB Mason Comp.Why did you buy a Diamondback?-img_20150421_172237.jpg

mtbr member

Cheaper Price tag

Growing up I rode BMX a little and back then (at least in my area) you either rode a Diamondback or a Trek... Everything else wasn't cool enough. I was fortunate enough to own both and I loved them. Over the years Trek has definitely become the more premier brand and diamondback seems like they sold out somewhere down the line and the brand never gained back the popularity it once had. With that said I just got back into riding and I was dead set on buying an entry level ($500-$700) Trek but last minute I saw a Diamondback Axis on sale for $350 and jumped on that. My cousin has a Trek Marlin 5 ($500 bike) and we went riding this past weekend and our bikes seemed to perform pretty equally. However, my DB has an upgraded suspension fork and a 1x8 conversion using a raceface 32t chainring whereas his Trek is stock. His Marlin 5 has waaayyyy better brakes tho. Tekro Mechanical Discs suck!

Anyways.... Diamondback is a good brand and like all brands, if you want a really good Hardtail then you need to spend $1000+ and for a good FS at least $2500+. For me I couldn't afford that kind of pricetag up front so a $350 DB with upgrades as time goes along will have to do (and honestly I'm having a blast on my budget DB)

Here's a pic of my DB Axis so far:
    Why did you buy a Diamondback?-axispainted.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2009
    It was $250.00.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I believe Diamondback has a good quality product line, at a good price. The deal got better for me when I found mine on sale. I could have bought 2 for the price of a similar equipped bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I just decided to back into mountain biking and I used to use and abuse my old Diamondback.

On my new bike I got a great deal. Paid $400 for an Axis XE, down from $600. I figure it's a great frame and I can run it hard until something breaks. When it does I'll upgrade with better parts. Not really interested in a full suspension frame just yet. I have a lot to learn and I think a hardtail is the best place to start.

I've been reading this forum for quite awhile but I decided it was time to chime in.

Hans is inspirational to me. It's a great frame, beyond that, it becomes a custom. Doesn't get better than that.

I've no intention of ever going pro. I just want to ride to work, to the gym, and hit the trails with my friends.

mtbr member
    I wanted to get back into riding. I saw on an online retailer, a DB Overdrive Pro for $1299, plus an additional 20% off, end price was $1014 shipped. I pulled the trigger. Seems the spec on this bike would push other manufacturers into the near $3K range. So far, it's doing me really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Was shopping around for a large frame hardtail when I walked into a shop, and the owner said he had one at his house he just bought from a kid that didn't really ride it. It was a 2012 black Overdrive. He said $250.00, and I grabbed it. Still my daily rider to this day. Added a 3" riser bar, and a vetta padded seat that was actually bought for the seat post at a thrift store, but the seat was on it. Had no intentions of using the seat at all, but its the most comfortable seat so far. Never have used the seat post that it was on.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I Bought a few Diamondbacks over Q4 2015. Did a few upgrades to them to get them where I want and they are great bikes for the money. This is exactly why I bought them, because they are a deal. I purchased my Sync'r Pro from promotive at 40% off and then I bought a Overdrive and Lux from Sports Authority when they were on sale for Black Friday. Got them for $250 each and then got some points back for running shoes. The Sync'r is my ride and I got the Lux and overdrive (both 27.5) for loaners. Upgraded the Sync'r tires, wheels, brakes, Fork and cockpit, then moved those parts over to the Overdrive. Lux got new cockpit, brakes and tires. Less than $450 put into each the Overdrive and Lux to have Hyrdos, better tires, wider bars, new Cranks, and tires. Amazing deals is why I bought them plus they look really nice and while a little heavy are very solid!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why did you buy a Diamondback?-img_20151229_200700736.jpg  

Why did you buy a Diamondback?-img_20151229_200857904.jpg  

Why did you buy a Diamondback?-img_20151229_201022847.jpg  

Why did you buy a Diamondback?-img_20151229_201407961.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    bought mine because it was by FAR the best value I could find. MSRP is 1700 on the DB atroz comp and picked mine up through nashbar.com for 950. so far really like the bike. for the price you really cant complain.

https://youtu.be/iS7Bd1uVKfo

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I bought a regular 2015 Atroz from Nashbar. I did not buy the Comp model. Total came to about $600 after their 20% coupon.

Pros:
    - Good looking frame that works well based on what I've read.
    - Rock Shox Monarch R rear shock, which I don't have to upgrade.
    - Hydraulic brakes. It drags a little now since it's new, but should be better later.
    - SRAM X5 9-speed system, which I don't need to upgrade.
    - Simplicity of 1X front drivetrain.

Cons:
    - Sungour XCM fork even worse than I could imagine.
    - Not tapered headtube - jealous of the 2016s.
    - Heavy at just under 34 pounds, due to the fork and the wheels/tires.
    - Chainguide is a little noisy.

Future plans:
    - I am cutting the bar down to about 680mm. It's just too wide stock.
    - Air fork of some sort, but aiming for lighter weight of 1700 grams or less. Considering the SR EPIXON for $200, or a Reba for $300
    - Depending on the fork, may go for a set of 4 pound or less wheels, and run tubeless. This together with the fork may bring the bike down to close to 30 pounds. Budgeting maybe $200 for the wheels, looking out for deals.
    - I really don't need to upgrade anything else, but if good deals comes along for other quality components like seatposts, stems, or bars, I would swap those out.

So for maybe $1100 total, I would have a pretty good and reasonably light FS bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by oneupme View Post
    I bought a regular 2015 Atroz from Nashbar. I did not buy the Comp model. Total came to about $600 after their 20% coupon.

Pros:
    - Good looking frame that works well based on what I've read.
    - Rock Shox Monarch R rear shock, which I don't have to upgrade.
    - Hydraulic brakes. It drags a little now since it's new, but should be better later.
    - SRAM X5 9-speed system, which I don't need to upgrade.
    - Simplicity of 1X front drivetrain.

Cons:
    - Sungour XCM fork even worse than I could imagine.
    - Not tapered headtube - jealous of the 2016s.
    - Heavy at just under 34 pounds, due to the fork and the wheels/tires.
    - Chainguide is a little noisy.

Future plans:
    - I am cutting the bar down to about 680mm. It's just too wide stock.
    - Air fork of some sort, but aiming for lighter weight of 1700 grams or less. Considering the SR EPIXON for $200, or a Reba for $300
    - Depending on the fork, may go for a set of 4 pound or less wheels, and run tubeless. This together with the fork may bring the bike down to close to 30 pounds. Budgeting maybe $200 for the wheels, looking out for deals.
    - I really don't need to upgrade anything else, but if good deals comes along for other quality components like seatposts, stems, or bars, I would swap those out.

So for maybe $1100 total, I would have a pretty good and reasonably light FS bike.

yea I'm bummed on not having a tapered head tube. but they do have headsets that will allow you to use a tapered fork. and I would suggest the SR epixon. have it on my old XC bike and it seems to be good and is very light. I might like it more than the XC30 rockshox that came on my atroz comp. I have never rode the reba but I have friends that have it and they don't like it.

I'm satisfied with the weight of the Comp. if I can shave weight off for bargain prices I will. I can imagine an air fork will do wonders for yours.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Thanks for the feedback. I saw some tapered forks for cheap on Merlin Cycles. A 2014 SID tapered 100mm fork for only $236. That's a heck of a price. But I'd have to add in $40 for the tapered bottom headset adapter from Canecreek. I am not sure if a 120mm fork is a good idea. The stock fork is 120mm, but the rear suspension travel is "only" about 100mm. So would a 100mm front fork also be a good fit?

I would love to find a 1/8 straight steerer 120mm Reba or SID with 15mm axle for $250.

Merlin Cycles also had some Mavic Crossride wheels for like $150 but I missed out on that one. That's a 4.25 pound wheelset with decent reviews.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by oneupme View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I saw some tapered forks for cheap on Merlin Cycles. A 2014 SID tapered 100mm fork for only $236. That's a heck of a price. But I'd have to add in $40 for the tapered bottom headset adapter from Canecreek. I am not sure if a 120mm fork is a good idea. The stock fork is 120mm, but the rear suspension travel is "only" about 100mm. So would a 100mm front fork also be a good fit?

I would love to find a 1/8 straight steerer 120mm Reba or SID with 15mm axle for $250.

Merlin Cycles also had some Mavic Crossride wheels for like $150 but I missed out on that one. That's a 4.25 pound wheelset with decent reviews.
    personally I would stick with 120mm front fork. 100mm would work but that would give it more of a XC feel. most all mountain style bikes come with a fork that is 10-20mm more travel than the shock. check ebay for forks. I always seem to find decent deals on there. I'm looking at getting a 130mm rockshox sector for my atroz.

and I have also looked at that mavic wheelset. seems like they go on sale a lot. might get them in the future. but first ill see how well the stock wheels old up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Hi guys. What do you think about this one and the price? The nashbar ones or this. Thanks in advanced. Danny

http://m.sportsauthority.com/products/80497356

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dagmac View Post
    Hi guys. What do you think about this one and the price? The nashbar ones or this. Thanks in advanced. Danny

Diamondback Men's 2016 Atroz 27.5-Inch Full-Suspension Mountain Bike

I cant exactly speak for the 2016 model at sports authority but the nashbar exclusives are 2015 versions and I bought one in December. I love it so far. I got the Comp version for 950. if you sign up for their email list you get bike discounts weekly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Cbuth387 I like a lot the one that you have. But the 2016 has a different geometry frame suspension and tapered for the same 1000 around it.

My only afraid it is spend 1000 in a "walmart" bike. For 200 or 300 more are selling the Scott Spark 760 from 2015. But I don't know this is only paying just for the brand.

Danny

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    The frame geometry change is minor, IMO. Sure, it would be nice to have tapered steerer, but the Cane Creek heaset is only $55, and there are decent quality Chinese adapter headsets for $20. The rear is 12x142, but I am not sure it's that big of a deal. The mounting point for the shock is different, and again, is it a dramatic improvement?

The rest of the component mix is more or less the same between the 2015 and 2016, so your question comes down to whether you want to spend $300-$400 more for a frame with tapered steerer, 12x142, and different rear shock attachment points.

For me the answer was an easy no. I'd put that money towards a nice fork or wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Additional comment. I don't think the Atroz is worth it at $1k, but it's not a Walmart bike either. I rode the 2015 one I bought for less than $600 new and it's not all that bad bone stock. The XCM shock is cheesy but it is functional. My biggest gripe out of the whole bike is actually the handlebar, which is an easy fix. The Scott you mentioned looks about par for the price vs what you get. It's roughly equivalent to the bike that cbuth387 got for $950, The Scott is a 3x9, however, whereas the Atroz Comp is a 1x10. This is something you'll need to consider.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Thank you very much oneupme for your both answers. I am really appreciate.

Danny

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Hello

Just FYI sports authority has a coupon MARCH30 with this discount the Diamondback Atroz 2016 shipped is 699$.

Thanks

Danny

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    No need to spend hundreds extra for some different stickers with another brand on them. My Atroz rocks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Got a sweet deal on bikes for me and my wife. Line for me and Lux Sport for my wife, just under $1000 total for both. I'm happy with it, just want it to get here so I can ride it now.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Recently picked up a Catch 2. It's awesome.

Purchased because I wanted a full suspension 27.5+, and the price and overall package was too good to pass up. It's my first Diamondback, which I previously associated with big box stores, but people seemed to give the brand decent reviews so I thought I'd give them a shot.

After getting it, I had a friendly chat with Diamondback online and came away impressed with their support. One of my questions was if I could buy a derailleur hanger (I like to carry a spare, and didn't see any available on their site). They offered to ship one at no charge.

That's a good way to win over customers... this morning I ordered another Diamondback: an Interval Carbon (found a 2015 on closeout for $1099).

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Hello Deslock. Where you buy ityour Diamondbacks? On line?

Danny

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast