mtbr member
    Feb 2010

wheels and suggestions for my diamondback

As you all know, i am in love with my diamondback response and it takes the abuse pretty well. I picked up another 07 response and another bike to ride while my original gets a make over. I previously stated in a different post about seat posts and seats. The goal is to make my bike the same if not better than a current diamond back response comp without breaking the bank. Why not go out and just buy a comp? Because I am attached to my response, and well i will be doing a slow build up.

I understand the base response has parts that are so so, but it seems like it has a great frame. Unfortunately diamondback didnt provide the base response with the proper rims for a disc brake conversion. I think you need a six bolt wheel. Stupid diamondback! Anyways, what rims out are out there? What should I look for in a wheel. It has to be black, has to be as strong as the current rim, and six bolt.. Do rims come with hubs? Im new to all of this remember, so my technical terms are not good. Some people say mavic, some people say wtb, What are the rims on a comp?

Any help at all would be great.
    I like to ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Are the alexrims dm21 on my raleigh m 80 better than the weinmanns found on the response comp?
    I like to ride my bike.

Singletrack Slayer
    Look at Industry Nine wheels, All sorts of custom options, colors, hubs, rims. They are some of the stiffest strongest wheels made, made in USA. Gonna run around 1000 for a set.
    Look at Shimano XT hubs, DT Swiss Rims and a Mavic Wheelset for around $400. That would be the best option for a eco build.
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    What is your budget? Will you be buying brakes and wheels at the same time or do you need wheels that will be able to take both disc's and v brakes? Also need to consider if you are going to upgrade your fork will you stay with a qr fork or go to a thru axle. If you do you will need wheels that can convert in the mean time.

ps. After you get all new parts you would have probably spent as much money as buying a new bike.

mtbr member
    My response sport came with weinmanns and I changed them to mavic crossrides, decent weigh much less than the weinmanns and affordable.

I love the change, very noticable.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    How much did they cost and was it noticeable? Big weight loss?
    I like to ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by icecube89 View Post
    Your stock weinmann wheels weigh probably 1500g for the rear and 1200 for the front. I have FSA SL-XC 300's on my bike, they cost about 250-300 dollars. They are MUCH lighter than the factory wheels and it makes the bike easier to ride, its worth the investment to get some mavic or FSA wheels. Also I changed out my tires to bontrager and they roll a lot better and are much lighter. Any rotational mass you can take off will be a big help to you.

I also changed out my 7 speed freewheel for a 8 speed cassette, x4 rear derail, x4 shifters, pc850 chain. My bike is basically better than a comp now after all the mods I have in it. Post some pics of yours. Good luck bro.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by icecube89 View Post
    Where I live the Mavic Crossrides cast me about $400 Canadian. thats for the set.
    And yes I noticed a huge difference in weight, so much lighter. And like the other poster
    I changed my rubber to Bontrager XR2 Team issues love em.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Anyone like the weirwolf by wtb? They seem to roll really fast,, So Mavic Cross Rides,, or fsa.....hmmmmm
    I like to ride my bike.