mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Upgrading to SRAM X.9. Rear Derailleur Length?

I'm about to go ahead and upgrade my x5 shifters / x7 rear d. with all x9 components. (Mod addict dont ask) I tried following the guide in the drivetrain forum but my head almost exploded.

I'm just wondering if I need a long/med/short cage rear derailleur? I'm assuming what I have on there now is long.

This is a 2011 Mission 1 BTW. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    in general: short cage for 1 front chain ring. Mid cage for 2 front chain rings. Long cage for 3 front chain rings.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thats good to know, considering im running a 2x9 setup right now. I feel like the x7 thats on there is long cage.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Mid is the 'safest' bet for AM riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    On second thought, I might just go with the x.9 shifters. They would be a big upgrade from the x.5, with that zero loss technology.

From what I see the only upgrade from the x7 to x9 rear D. is some weight savings.

Let the good times roll.
    In 2010, I called SRAM to ask about differences between the X7 and X9 derailleurs that year. The tech I spoke with said they are identical except for a few extra lightweight Al parts on the X9. I've been using x7s ever since then. Only reason to go x9 IMO is to get a short cage which can be hard to find in x7s

Do get x9 shifters. They are a noticeable improvement over x5s and x7s.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks miniwise, thats some good bit of information.

Any difference between the 2010 and 2011 x9 triggers? I can get the 2011 for $99 and the 2010 for $81

Let the good times roll.
    I think SRAM's 9 speed parts stayed mostly the same from 2010 to 2011.

Have you considered switching to 10 speed? SRAM and Shimano seem to be moving away from 9 speed, so finding replacement parts may become harder in the future. Might as well upgrade now since you're already buying most of the parts you'll need. All that's left is a new cassette. Depending on your local terrain and fitness level, you may even be able to get away with 1x10 which means a simpler setup and less weight.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=37244&category=692

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=37237&category=773

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=36711&category=534

Discount code VIP10 gives 10% off orders over $100
    code VIP15 gives 15% off orders over $300

Shoot me a PM if you really want to stay with 9 speed and are interested in used parts. I'm planning to upgrade my 2x9 drivetrain to 1x10 soon, and I'll be selling the removed parts for cheap.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've definately being looking at a 10 speed rear. Im assuming I would need to upgrade to a crank
    that's spaced for a 10 speed rear?

The only thing shying me away from going 1x10 as apposed a 2x10 is where I ride theres just as much climbing if not more then downhill. Not sure if I would have enough range. I have been debating it though.

Butts Up Fast!
    I went 1x9 a year ago on my mission and went with a short cage X9 derailleur and shifter. It's made me a lot faster and smoother rider out of necessity to adapt to the simpler setup. Needing to carry more momentum for hills has made my rides so much funner.

Singletrack Slayer
    Quote Originally Posted by iRace559 View Post
    I've definately being looking at a 10 speed rear. Im assuming I would need to upgrade to a crank

The only thing shying me away from going 1x10 as apposed a 2x10 is where I ride theres just as much climbing if not more then downhill. Not sure if I would have enough range. I have been debating it though.
    No, you would need 10spd chain rings.. for 3x10 or 2x10 w bash or 1x 10 if you want the double 2x10 setup then yes a new crankset would be worth it...
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I would most likely stick to a 2x10 with bash setup.

I dont get what the difference is though from a 10 speed crankset (chainrings) and a 9 speed.

Is the spacing different or something allowing the chain to hit all 10 in the rear?

Singletrack Slayer
    I would most likely stick to a 2x10 with bash setup.

I dont get what the difference is though from a 10 speed crankset (chainrings) and a 9 speed.

Is the spacing different or something allowing the chain to hit all 10 in the rear?
    You would just need 10 speed chainrings up front because 10spd chain is narrower...
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

Let the good times roll.

Have you found this link yet? Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Gear Calculator

When I entered the specs for my current 2x9 setup and my planned future 1x10 setup, I found that I'll only be losing 2 climbing ratios and one high speed gear.