mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Upgrading my crankset. Thoughts?

I was looking into upgrading my crankset to something a little sturdier on my 2011 Mission 1. The stock Truvativ Blaze isn't terrible but I want something with an external BB and a bit less flex.

I was looking into the Truvativ Hussefelt 2.2RG. Looks like a solid crank without breaking the bank. Any thoughts on this? Does anyone know if it comes with the BB, it doesn't specify.

Truvativ Hussefelt 2.2RG Howitzer 2011 at Price Point

Let the good times roll.
    I don't think the Howitzer cranks come with BB. It's a decent crankset though. Personally, I prefer Shimano. It's a bit more convenient to work with.

Shimano SLX Chainset Double M665 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

13 yrs old in my own mind
    Quote Originally Posted by iRace559 View Post
    I was looking into upgrading my crankset to something a little sturdier on my 2011 Mission 1. The stock Truvativ Blaze isn't terrible but I want something with an external BB and a bit less flex.

I was looking into the Truvativ Hussefelt 2.2RG. Looks like a solid crank without breaking the bank. Any thoughts on this? Does anyone know if it comes with the BB, it doesn't specify.

I have the Hussefelt crank and have had no problems what-so-ever. I did upgrade my bash guard with a gravity one though. Pretty burly crank and BB, if you are a weight weenie that will damper your spirits.

If you look around you can find better deals "with" a Howitzer Bottom Bracket for cheaper. The Howitzer BB is like $30-$45 bucks most places. SO take that one from Pricepoint and add the bottom bracket you are in the $100's.

Here is one on ebay for $80 with free shipping and the BOTTOM BRACKET!

Or how about a Truvativ Fire X
    Too many hobbies and not the proper income to support them all. Where's my karma boat?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Unforunately I'm looking to stick with the 24/36 or 22/36 setup. You can find the 22/32 Hussefelts for so cheap!

I was also thinking about the FireX, but being as it comes standard on the Mission 2 and all my friends told me that I would regret not buying the 2 over the 1 (which i am), Im going to hear **** haha. However, the price might just lead me to buy it.

If I can find the 24/36 Hussfelt and BB for a good price I'll probably snag it. The weight doesn't really bother me as I abuse the crap out of my bike, and strength is more important than weight

Let the good times roll.
    I used to have the Fire X before I upgraded to SLX. The difference in stiffness was very noticeable to me. I say avoid Fire X. It's probably strong enough, but too flexy. And that's coming from someone who usually doesn't complain about flex...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    How is that plastic honeycomb bash gaurd on the SLX? I feel like that wouldn't hold up to that much abuse. I could be wrong though.

Let the good times roll.
    The SLX bash guard is built like a tank. I've banged mine on countless rocks and fallen trees. It still looks great after 2 years. No cracks or broken bits. Just scratches and dents. Most of my riding buddies have SLX or Saint cranks on their AM/FR bikes, and none have failed yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upgrading my crankset. Thoughts?-_kdk_0845.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Shimano SLX Crankset, Double, M665 9 speed

Quote Originally Posted by iRace559 View Post

Blue Sky has a special on the Shimano SLX Chainset (crankset) Double M665 , 9 speed, 22 X 36 for about $119 plus shipping - includes bottom bracket. I just got it and put it on my 2011 Mission 2 - love it, never going back to a triple! You will want the correct front derailleur, Shimano FD-M665 SLX - got mine at Universal Cycles for $52.00. This setup requires the SGS rear derailleur, not the shorter GS, if you are using a 11/34 rear cog as per Shimano specs.

Let the good times roll.
    The SLX M665 front derailleur is nice (I have one), but it isn't necessary. Any normal 3 speed FD will work fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks miniwise you just answered my question. That's a great deal on the slx crankset, I'll probably snag it this weekend. I'm assuming it'll integrate fine with my current SRAM setup. I was thinking about going 10 speed but I think 9 speed with still be relevant and much cheaper for the next 2 years at least.

Let the good times roll.
    You're welcome

The SLX cranks will still work even if you upgrade to 10 speed in the future. You might have to switch chainrings, but that's pretty easy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Actually, I was looking into that SLX m665 front deraillour that's specifically made for a 2x9 setup. It says it helps reduce chain drop. I constantly drop my chain with my current setup (stock 3 speed deore front deraillour).

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Smarter than Shimano?

Quote Originally Posted by miniwisejosh View Post
    The SLX M665 front derailleur is nice (I have one), but it isn't necessary. Any normal 3 speed FD will work fine.
    As per Shimano:

SLX Front Derailleurs are offered in many configurations to suit a range of MTB frame styles. Models FD-M660 and FD-M661 suit triple chainring cranksets, while models FD-M665 and FD-M667 are designed specifically for Mountain Compact cranksets.

Features:

All mountain compact drive

For double crankset FC-M665

Compact cage design

Exclusive design for All-Mountain compact drive

Matched radius reduces chain drop

Wider chain stay angle improved suspension compatibility (65-71 degrees)

Improved clearances

That is why any front derailleur will NOT work just fine. If you want to deal with chain drops go for it. if you wrench long enough you will find that sticking with the mfg's recommended front derailleur for a given crankset makes for the least amount of problems and is well worth the initial extra investment.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the info. The more I look at shimano's line of products I'm liking them more and more over SRAM. Crankwise at least.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quick question. In addition to the SLX crank/FD combo, I was looking into a Blackspire stinger chain guide to go with it. Any one use one with the SLX?

Let the good times roll.
    Yes, I have one. It's ISCG-05. You'll need to add a small cassette spacer (maybe 1mm thick) behind the driveside bottom bracket cup, otherwise the Stinger bolts will rub the granny chainring bolts. Most shops should have that spacer in stock or in a parts bin.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the heads up. I was about to order a regular ISCG mount, as the DB website doesn't specify.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just ordered the crankset and the stinger! Can't wait to get it. Now to find a spacer...

Hey miniwise can you post a picture of your whole bike im interested to see how the setup looks.

Let the good times roll.
    I don't have many shots from the drivetrain side. Here's my current setup, and a clearer shot with one of my past frames.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upgrading my crankset. Thoughts?-012.jpg  

Upgrading my crankset. Thoughts?-140.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Call me crazy but I just canceled my order and bought a Hammerschmidt.....there's something wrong with me

Let the good times roll.
    Haha. Sounds like you have a bad case of upgraditis.

Have fun with the Hammerschmidt. I thought about getting one when they came out, but the weight scared me off since I don't shift up front often.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by miniwisejosh View Post
    Haha. Sounds like you have a bad case of upgraditis.
    Guilty as charged

How do you like those stans flow wheels? I can get them for real cheap, and want to ditch the crappy stock wheelset soon.

Let the good times roll.
    I love Flow rims. They are a sweet combination of light, wide, and tubeless. Mine are set up with the yellow rim tape, and I've had no issues setting up various tubeless ready and UST tires. I'm even able to pump them up with a floor pump. Mid-size tires (2.2-2.4) have a nice, fat profile when inflated because of the rim width and design.

Strength has been better than I expected given the low weight. My first rear wheel lasted almost 2 years of abuse, and was still in good enough shape to sell when I got my current rear wheel (upgraded to a Hadley hub). I still have the original front wheel, and it's running strong. Flows are not bombproof though. I've gotten several dents from banging through rock gardens. Luckily none of them were big enough to ruin tubeless sealing, but I don't think a Flow rim used for frequent lift-access riding will last more than a season except with a light, smooth rider. That won't be a problem for you since the Mission frame won't last long under those conditions either.

Be alert with spoke tension if you go with Flows. That's true for all rims, but especially these because they don't have eyelets. Going too much over 100kg on spoke tension will crack the rim and eventually yank the nipples right through. That's something to keep in mind if you ever have them trued at a shop.