• 06-05-2015
    Intronaut
    Hey guys, I have a 2013 (I think) response xe 26" and I'm looking to upgrade my fork. I am thinking of looking into the suntour Epicon.

Should I be looking for a non tapered tube? Also, it looks like some of you are running much longer travel forks, have you had any concern with frame damage at all because of the increased travel?

Thanks!
  • 06-05-2015
    smilinsteve
    1 Attachment(s)
    Put a rigid 29er fork and 29er front wheel on for a 96er Response. Head angle change was minimal and I really like the way it rides!
  • 06-05-2015
    smilinsteve
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Intronaut View Post
    Hey guys, I have a 2013 (I think) response xe 26" and I'm looking to upgrade my fork. I am thinking of looking into the suntour Epicon.

Should I be looking for a non tapered tube? Also, it looks like some of you are running much longer travel forks, have you had any concern with frame damage at all because of the increased travel?

Thanks!

You need to get the same kind of steerer that your old fork has. I looked at a photo of a 2013 and it looks like a straight 1 and 1/8. If that's the case, that's the only sized steerer you can use.
  • 06-05-2015
    Intronaut
    Thanks for the clarification!
  • 06-23-2015
    elliott436
    I have the same bike mine is 2014 model it'sa straight tube 1 1/8!
  • 07-13-2015
    blackitout
    I dont remember if I posted this yet
    Here's my 2012 DB Response XE.

Attachment 1001867

2012 Diamondback Response
    Avid BB7 disc brakes with SP7 levers
    Shimano Alivio 8sp Shifters
    Shimano Alivio 9 Speed 22/32 crank with Raceface bashguard
    Shimano Deore FD
    Shimano Deore 9 Speed RD
    7sp freewheel
    Raceface Ride 90mm Stem
    Raceface Ride seatpost
    Forte 630mm Flat Bar
    Suntour Epicon set to 120mm
    Stock wheels and Hubs
    WTB Velociraptor 2.1 front tire (soon to be 2.4 Maxxis Ardents)
    Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 rear tire
    Shimano clipless pedals

32lbs when I bought it, now 28lbs ( I plan to change more components and get a lighter wheelset to get it down to 26lbs when $$ permits)

I might have missed something but I forgot
  • 07-13-2015
    smilinsteve
    Why a 7 speed freewheel (cassette)? with 8 speed shifters and 9 speed derailleur? That all shifts ok toegther?
  • 07-13-2015
    blackitout
    Quote:

Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Why a 7 speed freewheel (cassette)? with 8 speed shifters and 9 speed derailleur? That all shifts ok toegther?

I got all the 9 speed stuff for when I change to a new wheelset with a freehub. Until then it shifts OK. I set the limit screws so it won't shift 8 gears. It works well for now. It'll work better when I have a 9 speed cassette and freehub wheelset. Oh and you can't use 9 speed shifters with 7 speed. The indexing is different. It's not ideal right now but I broke the rear derailleur the third time out. I ride black diamond trails so I'd rather have something that can take abuse and has future upgrade potential than get another crappy rear derailleur.
  • 07-14-2015
    smilinsteve
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackitout View Post
    I got all the 9 speed stuff for when I change to a new wheelset with a freehub. Until then it shifts OK. I set the limit screws so it won't shift 8 gears. It works well for now. It'll work better when I have a 9 speed cassette and freehub wheelset. Oh and you can't use 9 speed shifters with 7 speed. The indexing is different. It's not ideal right now but I broke the rear derailleur the third time out. I ride black diamond trails so I'd rather have something that can take abuse and has future upgrade potential than get another crappy rear derailleur.

You said you have the stock wheels. Don't they have a freehub?
  • 07-14-2015
    blackitout
    Quote:

Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    You said you have the stock wheels. Don't they have a freehub?

Not the Dick's version. The normal response does. Mine is 2012. Maybe they switched after that I don't know.
  • 07-20-2015
    ReconBikes
    on my response the bearings in the back wheel blew out and im replacing the rim and casset and hub because we threw out the whole rim it was junk so what would you guys recomend for a rim hub and cassets?
  • 07-20-2015
    blackitout
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ReconBikes View Post
    on my response the bearings in the back wheel blew out and im replacing the rim and casset and hub because we threw out the whole rim it was junk so what would you guys recomend for a rim hub and cassets?

That's a difficult question to answer. Depending if you want it to be 8, 9, Or 10 speed you'll have to upgrade your entire drivetrain to match. Crank, shifters, front derailleur, rear derailleur, chain. Once you figure out what speed you want the rear to be then start finding a rear wheel to match that has that speed.
  • 09-30-2015
    Brandon A
    1 Attachment(s)
    Upgraded 2014 Response XE
    It's nothing special to most but I've done almost all the work myself except for building the wheels, I had those done at a lbs.

Mavic rims/XT Hubs
    Sunpeed handlebars and stem
    RaceFace Sniper grips
    Cane Creek 40 headset
    Rockshox 30 Gold fork
    Saint Pedals
    11-32 8 speed cassette

I imagine it's under 30 pounds now, haven't weighed it.
  • 12-31-2015
    Rickmastick
    I recently got one off a Facebook group for 150$ I can't post pics yet but I will when I can.