mtbr member
    May 2013

Thoughts on a Diamondback Response XE for a first mountain bike?

I am about to buy my first mountain bike. I first went to a bike shop down the street from me and he recommended a Specialized Rockhopper. From what I read, this is a great place to start and he was wonderful but the bike was a bit out of my price range. I went to Dick's and looked at the Diamondback Response XE and really liked it and it was more where I am willing to pay for a bike. I am hoping to enjoy the hobby and stick with it and upgrade down the road but I would like to get opinions on whether this is a good starter bike. I just can't see paying $1,000 upfront in case it does not go well. What are your thoughts on this bike? Is it a good place to start?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Great starter bike IMHO. I was looking into one or a used response comp/ or sport until the bike I got came up for sale but needing very little work! Get one and report back!
    2013 DB Overdrive sport 29r
    2001 DB XSL Race=Garage queen
    2003 DBR XTS Moto=sold
    1998 DBR Vlink 3.2=sold

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by thedubsack85 View Post
    Great starter bike IMHO. I was looking into one or a used response comp/ or sport until the bike I got came up for sale but needing very little work! Get one and report back!
    Hopefully this can help the next person. I actually went with a brand new Specialized HardRock that was last year's model for $425.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yeah I was looking at used responses. And specialized hardrocks and rockhoppers on CL and they all dried up/sold once I had the $ in hand.. I emailed the guy I got my XSL from and picked it up a week later. Flawless condition except for new shifter cables and tubes and tires as it was in storage for 8 years plus. Im loving it and the LBS said it was super clean and in great shape!
    2013 DB Overdrive sport 29r
    2001 DB XSL Race=Garage queen
    2003 DBR XTS Moto=sold
    1998 DBR Vlink 3.2=sold

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by thedubsack85 View Post
    Yeah I was looking at used responses. And specialized hardrocks and rockhoppers on CL and they all dried up/sold once I had the $ in hand.. I emailed the guy I got my XSL from and picked it up a week later. Flawless condition except for new shifter cables and tubes and tires as it was in storage for 8 years plus. Im loving it and the LBS said it was super clean and in great shape!
    I know the feeling. I've now gotten hooked and am looking for a road bike. I've been all over Craigslist and as soon as I find a good deal on one it's gone.

Glad you found a good fit for you.