mtbr member

Suggestions always seem to be "buy a new bike"

I wanted to post this here because it seems people with Diamondbacks seem more level headed. I have a question. I haven't spent a lot of time on this forum posting but I have noticed a common theme. Why do a lot of people say "just buy a new bike"? What happened to the days of enjoying the bike you have, especially for new riders. Learn how to ride it. Enjoy it for years to come then get a new bike sometime down the road. I spend a lot of time on beginners forum just to browse around and see what people suggest to beginners. 9 times out of 10 people say " buy a new bike" right after they just bought their first bike. I don't get it. I had my first bike for 4 years. My second for almost 20. I just got my third 4 months ago. Have people really become this snotty about bikes? It baffles me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I think people say to buy a new bike because the cost of upgrading components on a "cheap" bike is cost prohibitive.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    To some extent there is a lot of bike snobbery.
    If you dont ride a bike that you needed to take a second mortgage on as soon as you roll off a curb or hit a pebble the wheels will fold like a wet noodle, frame will split in multiple pieces and you will spend years in/out of hospital for physical therapy and reconstructive surgery.
    They cant seem to get around that a new rider just may not like biking as much as they do, so that $1K+ bike they bought from forum recommendations is gathering dust and slowly rusting into obscurity.

And yea, upgrading is usually much more expensive than buying a bike with what you want outright.
    The problem i have with that is there is always something in the bike specs that I would want to change.
    Bike brakes are a good example of that. Usually you find a bike that spec'd good but with crap brakes. or maybe to get the components you want it has a carbon frame and you steel.

I buy cheap because I'm always broke. I'll end up spending more but I am riding now.

mtbr member
    There is nothing wrong with upgrading the ride you have i'm sure a lot of people will say oh it's expensive or whatever else but let's be real now a days it's easy to score parts for a good price you have to be smart and patient! But like the comment above they made some very valid points. But most importantly it's your bike ride it how you want and upgrade it!

mtbr member
    I have a 2014 Diamondback response xe and I have changed parts on it already.