Thread: Stripped Fork

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Stripped Fork

Never noticed it last year but this year I brought my bike out of storage and got all the way to the trail and discovered the handle bars spin no matter how much I tighten them down. I brought it to my local bike shop and after toying with it for about 15 mins they said the fork and steering are stripped. It is a 06 Diamondback Response Sport and they quoted me $200 for a new fork!? The shocks still work great, is there any way of fixing this?

mtbr member
    Is the fork steerer tube threaded or unthreaded? If the steerer is threaded, and not too badly stripped, new threads can be cut. If it's a threadless steerer, check to see if the star nut is slipping or the top cap bolt on the stem isn't bad. A new star nut is an easy install and replacing the bolt is even easier.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hmmm I'm gonna have to look soon as I pick it up from the bike shop, its still the stock RST Gila Plus T-6 fork. I really don't wanna pay $200 to replace the fork for a bike I paid $100 for.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

mtbr member
    From the specs., the fork is threadless. There aren't too many ways that the handlebars would spin other than a bad star-nut, a bad top cap bolt or a bad stem bolts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Really?? My LBS said I need a whole new fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Really?? My LBS said I need a whole new fork.

Let the good times roll.
    Most bike shops are knowledgeable and honest, but not all. If in doubt do your homework very carefully before handing over any money. The only way I can think of that you would need a new fork is if the steertube/crown interface is bad. Everything else involved in keeping a threadless fork from spinning can easily be replaced for minimal cost. Before you pay for a new fork, be 100% sure that the suggestions above (star nut, stem, and bolts) won't fix the issue.

Singletrack Slayer
    lmfao, Sounds like a stripped stem bolt problem. or starfagaled nut loose...
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Gotcha well I did make the mistake of buying it from Craigslist so thats my first problem I guess. How would I know if it is indeed the steertube/crown interface? I would think the bike shop I brought it to would tell me exactly what was wrong and not just say I need a new fork and quote me prices.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jafstl38 View Post
    Gotcha well I did make the mistake of buying it from Craigslist so thats my first problem I guess. How would I know if it is indeed the steertube/crown interface? I would think the bike shop I brought it to would tell me exactly what was wrong and not just say I need a new fork and quote me prices.
    Remove the stem's top cap, loosen the stem pinch bolts and remove the stem. The fork will then be free and can be lowered enough from the lower head tube bearing race for you to check the steerer/fork crown area. See if the steerer is free to move while holding the fork (or vice versa) and also check if there is any side to side play between the two.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Got the bike back today, it's the steering tube where it's pressed into the crown that's stripped. Anyone wanna but a 06 Orange response frame??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jafstl38 View Post
    Got the bike back today, it's the steering tube where it's pressed into the crown that's stripped. Anyone wanna but a 06 Orange response frame??
    Sorry to hear that it wasn't something easier to correct.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    It's ok guess the road master granite peak is coming out of the shed lol

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Is there a less expensive option to add instead of a new $200 RST Gila T-6?

Let the good times roll.
    Look on the used market. See if you can find a nice used Rockshox or Fox. Check eBay and the classifieds sections of mtbr, pinkbike, and nsmb. Try to avoid RST and Suntour. They usually make low quality stuff.

mtbr member
    Josh...totally off topic is that an El Guapo in your avatar? Didnt know you had picked one up...do tell.

Let the good times roll.
    Quote Originally Posted by mojojojoaf View Post
    Josh...totally off topic is that an El Guapo in your avatar? Didnt know you had picked one up...do tell.
    Sure is, and I love it! I'll send you a PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

2011 Rockshox Recon Silver freshly installed!

Let the good times roll.
    good choice!