mtbr member

Stock Handlebar and numb hands...

How many of you DB owners have experienced this and did upgrading the bars help? I know new grips are in order... something like the Ergon I suppose, I'm curious though if changing the handlebars helps as well.

Thank you in advance!

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Ergon grips should fix the problem.

Wider handlebars are alway good to go with as well. I would recommend 27" wide and no less then 26" wide. i think most DB are stocked with 25" wide, at least my overdrive was. You might also need to shorter or longer stem.

If you ride steep downhill sections though the ergons are gona git in the way of good hand postitioning. I would look at the oury lock on grips if that is the case.

I like the ergons on my xc rig but the ourys for my all mountain rig.

mtbr member
    Firstly we dont know what bike you ride the set up or what physique you have or any injuries or experience you have we can only guess at what will work for you.

When choosing grips and handlebars there can be a lot of factors to take into account. Here is my experience with numb hands or wrist ache and remember this is just me as both handlebars, stems and saddles are very personal to what works for your comfort. Uncomfortable bar set up and saddle set up just plain suck so here is what I found out:

1) Wider bars actually can cause more pain than they alleviate. To the best of your ability try to determine what might be creating the numbness. Most of the time for me it is hand and wrist position. Wider bars place more angle on the wrists which can cause numbness, bars wide or narrow that are badly adjusted will cause pain or numbness. Make sure that the backsweep and up sweep are properly adjusted for your riding position. Go into a LBS and handle a few of the wider handlebars on some of the bikes available should be too hard to ask a bike shop employee for help.

2) Ergon grips and ergonomic type grips can be a great relief if properly adjusted and if the bars are properly set up as well. they can also limit how you might be used to riding as they tend to keep the hands on top of the bars rather than around the bars, but that might not be an issue for you or others here. I loved them on my Carnegie bars.

3) I was able to use wider bars ( I now use 31.5 inch width) once I found one that had the fit for me...9* back sweep 5* up sweep properly adjust no tension on the wrists and lots of good leverage. BUT I had to also adjust the stem length, this is really important as wider bars bring you more forward so if you use them with a longer stem it puts alot of weight on the wrist and arms as you will be leaning forward more. On my 2010 DB Mission I can comfortably ride with a 70mm stem (current) and a 50mm stem when I am doing lift assisted runs.

4) My hand and wrist comfort was number one concern for me so I went through 2-3 handlebar and 6-7 stem combinations to get where I am now. Within the 50-70mm stem range I have 0* to 10* options depending on my needs or comfort.

Also understand I ride pretty hard down the mountain, have broken my back, separated both shoulders the right one quite badly, have also had tennis elbow in both elbows SO maybe you are not quite so severe a case but nothing replaces trial and error. You might be better off with bars that are less wide, maybe 27-30 inches to maybe 26 inches maybe less, it depends on what works for you. since no one here really knows why your hands go numb or what injuries might be flaring up because of riding.

Just my .02 and I am sure others here will have experience in this area as well.

Good luck keep riding.

mtbr member
    Thank you Mojo,

I guess I did leave out a lot of information. I am 5'9 and 170lbs athletic build. No shoulder/arm/wrist injuries ( accept when I was 4 I lost a finger in a trempoline accident ) LOL .

The bike is a 2011 DB response sport size SM ( 16" ). The handlebars feel a bit too wide, stock bar not sure of exact width. DB SL318 mid rise parts. Saddle height feels right, though I'm longer in the torso and feel a lot of weight on my hands/wrists. Maybe increase the stem height? I do mainly XC riding. I am going to go to a narrower bar when I am able.

mtbr member
    Raising the stem or getting one with more rise might be a good idea, or higher rise bars as well. it will push your weight back a bit and move the weight off your hands and wrists. Moving weight back and having a higher rise stem will assist with going down hill too when it gets steeper.

Also...

You might try sliding your seat back in 1/4-1/2 inch increments to see how that feels on the wrists and how your weight is distributed if the bars already feel a bit wide without changing too much of the set up or spending alot of money at first. I say 1/4-1/2 inch increments as small changes can have a big effect on how the bike feels.

Youre on a good path- good luck. Oh pics of the bike?

mtbr member

Pic

Is already posted in the upgraded response forum, at the end.

mtbr member
    Yup I see it- nice ride and yes perhaps going with a shorter stem rather than a higher stem might work better- not necessarily really short but just shorter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    It could also be tricky to get comfortable because your riding a small and should probably be on a medium.

mtbr member
    Hi Bball,

Tried the Medium, it felt too big. Small frame feels right.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    have you tried changing to softer grips? =)

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have just purchased a new Forte 90mm stem, and a 1.5" riser bar to help alleviate the numbness in my hands after an hour of riding or so. New bar should be in tomorrow, and I'll get it put on. I was feeling quite stretched out on my bike, and I think with the stem/bar and sliding my seat forward a little bit will help this bike fit me better. If nothing else is gained, the stock stem and bars were boat anchors compared to the new ones!

mtbr member
    I replaced the handlebar, grips and stem, Easton EA50 flat bar, Pro PST 70mm 10degree stem, and Ergon grips... much better!