mtbr member

Sortie Black Rear Tire Suggestions?

I noticed that I have a cut in my side wall and need a replacement tire. I currently have Conti Trail King 2.2 with tubes on the rear. It is a great tire but a little on the big side; it sometimes rubs in rough terrain. In Colorado I mostly ride dry hardpack, loose over hardpack, rock gardens, and loose rocks. I would not mind going tubeless. Any suggestions?

Singletrack Slayer
    I have run lots of tires on the rear of that bike, I really like the Wolverine 2.2 WTB but now just switched to Kenda Nevagals 2.1 DTC and really love them, running tubes and front and rear. I ride a lot of dry hardpack and loose dirt with tons of rocks here in SE TN. Kenda Nevagals have given me the best overall performance and most confidence in turns, I give the tire
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    i like how tough the wolverine 2.2s are but i really think they take a lot of speed away from clumbing or single track style riding, i love them blasting over rocks or on drops, just think there a bit slow- grip very well though

mtbr member
    ps im in colorado as well

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidNeiles
    I have run lots of tires on the rear of that bike, I really like the Wolverine 2.2 WTB but now just switched to Kenda Nevagals 2.1 DTC and really love them, running tubes and front and rear. I ride a lot of dry hardpack and loose dirt with tons of rocks here in SE TN. Kenda Nevagals have given me the best overall performance and most confidence in turns, I give the tire

I have never run Kenda Nevegals. Aren't they supposed to be slow?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saxen
    i like how tough the wolverine 2.2s are but i really think they take a lot of speed away from clumbing or single track style riding, i love them blasting over rocks or on drops, just think there a bit slow- grip very well though
    The Wolverines are definitely a tire I was considering but I certainly don't want a slow tire. Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks!

Singletrack Slayer
    The Nevgals in DTC are super fast. I know a lot of people here that run this tire and they are fast and same the same things I am feeling with them, just a great all around tire with what I see so far, as a perfect tire. It rolls faster than the Wolverine and better cornering for sure.
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

Butts Up Fast!
    I love my 2.3 Nevegals here in So.Cal. Lots of dry hardpack and loose over hardpack on the trails I hit. Very sticky and great cornering.

I would however like to try some Weirwolf LT's in the future to compare.

from StL
    Continental Vertical Pro - great versatile rear tire. have it. love it. look at the reviews

WTB WeirWolf (new) - works great front or rear, obviously switch direction for rear, same for above.

WTB MotoRaptor (2.14) - consistent in the rear with great traction.

mtbr member
    Okay, so I ordered the Kenda Nevegal DTC 2.1. It was quite cheap so I guess I can't go wrong with the tire. I will let you know what I think after I get it on bike next week. Hopefully it will pair well with the Conti Trail Kings I have on the front.