Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Sortie 3 - How does it climb? Not many reviews

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  DavidNeiles 
#1 ·
I haven't seen many reviews of the Sortie, everything i have read talks about how well the bike descends but not a lot of reviews on how it climbs? Also, does the Sortie suffer from Brake Jack?

I am in the market for a 5" travel bike and keeping my options open, i almost have my mind set on a Santa Cruz Nickel but would like to hear your thoughts on this bike.

Thanks, any input is helpful.

#2 ·
I have a 4" Sortie 3 (I like the steeper geometry, but I hate that it's heavier than the newer frames) and it climbs (even with pro-pedal off) better than any other FS bike I've ridden, except maybe a Cannondale Scalpel.
One group I ride with hits a particular set of trails once a week, and we switch bikes every 15 minutes or so. It's nice because we're all about the same size, and it gives us all a chance to see what our bikes do well, and what other people's bikes do well (it's a great way to compare tires, too!).
Point being: everyone tries to get my Sortie or my buddy's GT Marathon for the biggest climbs, and the Specialized, Cannondale, Trek, and Haro rigs are considered consolation prizes.

#4 ·
I own a 4" Sortie 3 thats been heavily upgraded. It weighs in at 24lbs and climbs like nothing else. Flip on the pro-pedal and fly up the hill. Light wheels and a light double crank help knock the weight down from stock. I've replaced the wheels with American Classic MTB350 tubeless wheels at 1458grams, using tubeless Maxxis Larsens, stronglight oxale double crank, carbon bars and seatpost and others. Its a great platform to build on. And it still descends like a trailbike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.