Thread: sortie 3.0

mtbr member
    May 2011

sortie 3.0

hi guys im new to the forum. i have been riding bmx for years but im planing to jump into mtb due too more area to ride and my friends have all migrated that way. i have always been hard on gear, im 6'3, 230 lbs and great at wrecking myself. i prefer to spend a good amount on a nice rig from the get as its cheaper than goin cheap and trying to fix upgrade as you go. i have never had a mtb before but i work at a shop that sells diamondback and can get a great price on it through work. my problem is no one has a sortie for me to test in the area and thats alot of money to spend blind. so i am afraid to spend the money without knowing if i will feel at home on it. id also like to try a lg and xl frame to see which i prefer now i here that they are releasing a 29 sortie. i dont know what i should do
    any insight from people with experiance would be greatly appriciated

mtbr member
    Sortie's sound great but I have never seen one in real life so cant comment too much. I do have a mission however and live to ride that bike!!
    There are lots of guys on this site that can point you in the right direction!!
    My 2c, If your coming from BMX (jumping etc??) maybe you may should look at a mission? Can you get a deal on them?? At 6.3 and 230 lbs your way bigger than me and if your hard on gear more travel could be a good thing. Especially if your going to be doing drops and jumps etc. If your not going to be jumping etc a sortie would be great.
    Good luck!!
    Last edited by pow77; 05-14-2011 at 04:22 PM.
    'keep the mission alive!'

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    If you work at a DB dealer I would assume your doing an EP deal. Price of a mission 2 isn't much more then a sortie 3. What you would gain by going with a mission is a bike that is intended for a little more abuse, so if your hard on equipment a mission might be the way to go.

Butts Up Fast!
    At 6'3" I'd try to hold out for the sortie 29er. Otherwise the Mission can take alot more abuse than a sortie. Sorties are bad@$$ still and I hope to come across a frame sometime to build a singlespeed out of it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    when will the sortie 29er be released

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i may go for the mission 2. ive done some more research on the mission i have read alot of negative on the wheels the hubs especially. i have read of bearing issues i was under the impression that a $3,000 bike would have good wheels. i also heard they are not sealed hubs anyone on here have any trouble with them? if so when mine $H!+ the bed what is a good quality hubset to go with that wont give my wallet a beating

mtbr member
    You wont regret getting a mission!! If you get a one at a good price I believe its worth it and upgrade when needed. I will assume your not paying $3000 for the mission 2?
    If I was going to pay $3000 for a bike I would go get this-
    http://www.giantnerd.com/2010-diamon...-mountain.html
    . Nothing wrong with those wheels!! ha ha and under $3000. Thats where I got my bike, they have some good deals.
    I have a mission 1 09 so cant comment on those wheels, but talkin hubs everyone seems to love hope pro hubs, and there not too hard on the wallet!!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i think ill go with the mission i tested an 2010 mission one yesterday i was really impressed with it. i have read alot of people complain about the weight of the bike but my kink phantom lord weighs maybe a lb less than the mission i thought it was totaly managable. pow77 i am paying much less than 3000 but thats the msrp gonna place my order next month as i get an extra paycheck in june

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I own a 2011 Mission 2 and have been riding it as much as possible. I LOVE this bike! I have ridden it on everything from XC trails to DH and freeride. I can tell you right now though, i am becoming concerned with the rear hub on my wheel set. I haven't cracked it open to have a look yet, but the bearings are sounding a bit rough after the last DH riding I did. The rims are tough, but heavy. The front hub does have sealed bearings though. When i asked the Diamondback customer service what brand the hubs were, they told me they are unmarked Formula hubs (NOT the same company that makes the Formula "The One" brakes). So on the bike so far, it's tough as nails, but the front tire is relatively heavy, the wheelset is heavy, the rear cassette is heavy, and it seems that the rear hub is needing maintenance... For me, this isn't a problem because I will be ordering a set of Easton Havoc wheels soon So I will keep the stock wheels to beat on whenever I want to try something stupid. I say go with the Mission 2. Also, as a note when comparing the 2010 to the 2011. The 2011 mission frame is the same as the 2011 scapegoat frame. It can handle a longer travel on the fork if you want to upgrade down the road, and the frame as a whole is supposed to be slightly stiffer without adding too much weight. My bike weighs about 34 pounds right now, but you can tell that most of that is coming from the wheels.

mtbr member
    I thought you may be getting a good price!! (and cant, and probably shouldnt post it on here!!)
    Good you had a test ride and didnt just believe all the crew on here. But now you know what we were talking about, the missions a great ride.
    I agree with Dagair002, the wheels are the bikes weakness (on the lower models). I plan on riding the heavy wheels my bike came with, get as fit as I can, grow some huge legs then go out grab a light strong kick ass wheelset and then i will have a rider/bike combo to tackle almost anything!!
    let us know how you go

rjx
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tim399wsm
    when will the sortie 29er be released
    I was told by a Diamondback customer service / sales rep the 2012 Overdrives would be released "around July." Maybe the Sortie 29er will be released around that time too.