mtbr member

Sortie 29-3 questions

I find it difficult to get much information on Diamondback bikes. I have an opportunity to purchase a 2014 Sortie 29-3 for a very good price. Can anyone give me the weight of a large Sortie 29-3. I've seen the 1 & 2 well over 30 lbs. and the usual comments that could fit any 29" bike. Rolls over things, not as nimble in tight spots, etc. etc. I wish I could demo one but that is not going to be possible. My option is to keep riding my 26" Trance which is not the worst thing. Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    My 2013 Sortie 3 came in around 32lbs. I would think the 2014 would be very similar. The wheels and tires are pretty heavy. If you can afford to change out the stock wheelset I think that would make a huge difference. I remember seeing somewhere the 2013 sortie black was around 27lbs

mtbr member

Thanks

Changing the wheelset and tires is a possibility but I would not want that expense immediately after buying a new bike. What are your impressions of the bikes performance? Best and worst features?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I was really surprised how much I liked the sortie. Before I rode it I was in the 26 is better for everything corner. I really like the knucklebox suspension. It is really good at soaking up the small bumps without blowing through its travel. The worst thing about it is as soon as I got it I wanted to switch out the handlebars/stem and wheels because the bars are narrow (685), the stem is long (90), and the wheels are heavy. It may be worth looking at the Sortie 2 with some planned upgrades. With all that said I actually really like the bike now that I made some changes.

mtbr member
    I appreciate the input.

I can pick the 29-3 for about $2550 (no tax either) so, for me, it is an excellent buy and I really like the (almost) all XT grouppo. The difference for me between the 2 and 3 is around $500 and for that money, I want to go with what the -3 offers. However, if money does become an issue, the -2 is a good backup. As for the knucklebox suspension, a couple of people have spoken very highly of them.

Honestly, I'm like you were. I have a 26" Giant Trance I still am very happy with so going to a 29" bike is taking me out of my comfort zone. As much as I ride 29's, I don't find the difference that great but, hey, maybe it's time to go for something new.
    Last edited by Rev Bubba; 12-12-2013 at 07:28 PM.

mtbr member
    The frame has been beefed up slightly for 2014 with the addition of the seat stay bridge so I would imagine it would have gained a bit of weight over the 2013. I have the 2014 Sortie 1 and it is a lot of things, but light ain't one of them! I plan on dropping some weight with a new tubeless wheel set in the near future.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDocTx View Post
    The frame has been beefed up slightly for 2014 with the addition of the seat stay bridge so I would imagine it would have gained a bit of weight over the 2013. I have the 2014 Sortie 1 and it is a lot of things, but light ain't one of them! I plan on dropping some weight with a new tubeless wheel set in the near future.
    The 2013 models also had a seat stay bridge. The 2014 is suppose to have a stronger bridge to increase rear end stiffness. I think they accomplished that by changing the design not necessarily adding more material so it shouldn't be much of a weight difference if any.

In response to Rev Bubba once I switched I now don't feel like I could ever go back to 26 for a trail bike.

mtbr member

Sounds like a nice east coast bike

No multi mile climbs were I ride in north Jersey so the extra few pounds should not be a major issue. My 26" Trance weighs 29.5 lbs including pedals. I can learn to live with an extra 3 lbs until I invest in a lighter wheel set. As I've said, my cost for a Diamondback is so attractive that it is hard for me to go with another brand when the Sortie seems to be a perfectly good ride.

For me it gets down to spending another $3k to save 3 lbs. That I can not justify.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Did you end up ordering one?