mtbr member

Sortie 29-3 questions

I find it difficult to get much information on Diamondback bikes. I have an opportunity to purchase a 2014 Sortie 29-3 for a very good price. Can anyone give me the weight of a large Sortie 29-3. I've seen the 1 & 2 well over 30 lbs. and the usual comments that could fit any 29" bike. Rolls over things, not as nimble in tight spots, etc. etc. I wish I could demo one but that is not going to be possible. My option is to keep riding my 26" Trance which is not the worst thing. Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    My 2013 Sortie 3 came in around 32lbs. I would think the 2014 would be very similar. The wheels and tires are pretty heavy. If you can afford to change out the stock wheelset I think that would make a huge difference. I remember seeing somewhere the 2013 sortie black was around 27lbs

mtbr member

Thanks

Changing the wheelset and tires is a possibility but I would not want that expense immediately after buying a new bike. What are your impressions of the bikes performance? Best and worst features?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I was really surprised how much I liked the sortie. Before I rode it I was in the 26 is better for everything corner. I really like the knucklebox suspension. It is really good at soaking up the small bumps without blowing through its travel. The worst thing about it is as soon as I got it I wanted to switch out the handlebars/stem and wheels because the bars are narrow (685), the stem is long (90), and the wheels are heavy. It may be worth looking at the Sortie 2 with some planned upgrades. With all that said I actually really like the bike now that I made some changes.

mtbr member
    I appreciate the input.

I can pick the 29-3 for about $2550 (no tax either) so, for me, it is an excellent buy and I really like the (almost) all XT grouppo. The difference for me between the 2 and 3 is around $500 and for that money, I want to go with what the -3 offers. However, if money does become an issue, the -2 is a good backup. As for the knucklebox suspension, a couple of people have spoken very highly of them.

Honestly, I'm like you were. I have a 26" Giant Trance I still am very happy with so going to a 29" bike is taking me out of my comfort zone. As much as I ride 29's, I don't find the difference that great but, hey, maybe it's time to go for something new.
    Last edited by Rev Bubba; 12-12-2013 at 07:28 PM.

mtbr member
    The frame has been beefed up slightly for 2014 with the addition of the seat stay bridge so I would imagine it would have gained a bit of weight over the 2013. I have the 2014 Sortie 1 and it is a lot of things, but light ain't one of them! I plan on dropping some weight with a new tubeless wheel set in the near future.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDocTx View Post
    The frame has been beefed up slightly for 2014 with the addition of the seat stay bridge so I would imagine it would have gained a bit of weight over the 2013. I have the 2014 Sortie 1 and it is a lot of things, but light ain't one of them! I plan on dropping some weight with a new tubeless wheel set in the near future.
    The 2013 models also had a seat stay bridge. The 2014 is suppose to have a stronger bridge to increase rear end stiffness. I think they accomplished that by changing the design not necessarily adding more material so it shouldn't be much of a weight difference if any.

In response to Rev Bubba once I switched I now don't feel like I could ever go back to 26 for a trail bike.

mtbr member

Sounds like a nice east coast bike

No multi mile climbs were I ride in north Jersey so the extra few pounds should not be a major issue. My 26" Trance weighs 29.5 lbs including pedals. I can learn to live with an extra 3 lbs until I invest in a lighter wheel set. As I've said, my cost for a Diamondback is so attractive that it is hard for me to go with another brand when the Sortie seems to be a perfectly good ride.

For me it gets down to spending another $3k to save 3 lbs. That I can not justify.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Did you end up ordering one?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Did you ever get your Sortie 3? You sound like me and I can get it for cheap, just debating on size.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I have a 2014 sortie 2 so maybe I can help answer questions. Let's hear them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by xjohnx77 View Post
    I have a 2014 sortie 2 so maybe I can help answer questions. Let's hear them.
    How do you like your sortie 2? I ordered a 2015 and they ran out of stock so i'm looking at a 2014 now I like the blue better anyways. what do you think of it as a first noobs ride? I have a WTB KOM wheel set already so i'm trying to stay with the 29er. Its hard to find any decent reviews on the sortie. any input would be great.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I wasn't crazy about the Blue at first but in person it's a real pretty bike. I also replaced some of the black components with white and I think it looks even better. I have to be up front and say that, although I dove into this sport big time last year, I haven't ridden many full suspension bikes so I don't have much to compare. That being said, I love this bike so much. It suits my riding style very well. It climbs well and rips going down. The geometry is very comfortable and versatile. Though, DB may not be pioneers of the industry, their R&D is very good on their high end bikes. MBaction magazine reviewed the Sortie 3 in the June or July '14 issue. They really liked the bike and summed it up to the tune of "a little on the heavy side. A great bike for the young buck who doesn't mind the climb in return for a ripping descent".

Like many other DB owners on here, I was able to buy this bike at an incredible price. I honestly can't imagine being any happier having spent more on a similar bike from one of the big names. And i think its cool to have something different from everyone else. Especially when people stop and ask about your bike and say "THAT's a Diamondback!?"

If you have any questions regarding sizing or anything else, just call them up. I just bought a DB8 and it only comes in short and long sizes. I wasn't sure so I called and the girl said "hold on, I'm sitting right next to the guys that developed the bike, I'll ask them". Needless to say, I am confident I bought the right size.

Hope this helps. You won't be disappointed with a Sortie. Depending on your riding style I would suggest a slightly shorter stem and wider bars though. Makes it much more fun going down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I was all set to buy the 2015 Sortie 3 only to find out that they have discontinued it :-/ There is a few left at REI, but I could get a better deal elsewhere. So I called up DB and they said they none of the 3's and non slated to be produced in '15. Still making the 2's and 1's however, just not what i'm looking for.