Thread: Sortie 1

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Sortie 1

Hey all, im looking into buying my first FS bike. I generally ride trails with some moderate climbing and descending. The trails are pretty rocky and my hardtail is starting to be a pain in the a**. Do you guys think the sortie 1 would be a good buy for me? How does it compare to a mongoose teocali or GT force?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Sounds like the Sortie is the perfect bike for you. That's the kind of trails it is made for. It is in my soon to purchase list.

mtbr member
    just pass on the gt and teh mongoose- they really wont compare with the sortie- with that teh sortie one is a great starting bike, the frame is the same (other than paint) as the $5200 sortie black- so as you ride you can upgrade and it will still be worth it- if you can try to swing for a sortie 2 because you get fox- however if you cant afforde it the one will still be great!
    over the last 2 years i have been nothing but impressed with my sortie 3 (same frame as the one) i really did not expect much from it, but it has handled everything i have thrown at it time and time again!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    the suspension design is a good one?

mtbr member
    I loved my Sortie 1, but the fork was sub par, wheels pretty heavy, and the rear shock had a lot to be desired. I would say shoot for the Sortie 2 if you can afford it and save up for wheels.

Make sure it is a 2009 or newer, 08 to 09 it went from a 4" to 5" frame with minimal or no weight increase. I found a sweet deal on a closeout 08 new Sortie 1, but would probably still be riding it if it was a 5" bike.

not a small are you?? http://www.giantnerd.com/index.php/2...tain-bike.html

Sometimes they have good deals on Nashbar and if you can pair it with a 10-15% off coupon and free shipping it works out good. No LBS support though.

I got mine from Taylor's bike shop, and they were good to deal with.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    yea i was thinking of buying that 09' shortie 3 frame in this forum and use my current parts to build it up.

mtbr member
    Its a good trail bike frame for the money. Sure there are better lighter ones, but youre gonna pay a lot more.

I just had a buddy upgrading and had a chance to get a sc superlight frame and parts for cheap. Since I had a 4" sortie model it was tough for me to pass up the almost 2 lbs weight loss for swapping the frame.

I will give it to the sortie, I did think it stayed a lot more active under braking than the superlight. but that is about the only real negative of the single pivot......ramble, ramble.