mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Should I go Recoil?

Hi all,

I'm thinking about buying a new bike. Hardtail Specialized Pitch 650B or the Recoil.

My questions are:

How heavy is the stock Recoil.

How does it handle on hard trails such as rocks, roots, and jumps?

What else should I know about this bike?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Chill, people...don't all jump and answer at once.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AshevilleMtBiker View Post
    Chill, people...don't all jump and answer at once.
    they are both very similar spec wise. How much is the cost difference. If the diamondack is cheaper get that if the specialized is cheaper get that.

On a side not I guess I would say dont get a dual suspension bike unless you can fork up the loot for some mid grade to high end shocks. Learned this the hard way

Also if you are just starting better to learn your skills on the hard tail first.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Strife21 View Post
    they are both very similar spec wise. How much is the cost difference. If the diamondack is cheaper get that if the specialized is cheaper get that.

On a side not I guess I would say dont get a dual suspension bike unless you can fork up the loot for some mid grade to high end shocks. Learned this the hard way

Also if you are just starting better to learn your skills on the hard tail first.
    I'm not a beginner. I live in the mountains and we got some serious trails here. I'd love a full suspension but most of them are over 1K.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    They're over $1k for a reason.

What model is the Recoil? If it's the lowest, pass it up unless you plan on upgrading the fork and rear shock at once. The Suntour XCT fork and whatever rear shock it comes with are absolute garbage.
    2014 Cannondale CAAD10 5
    2013 Diamondback Recoil 29er
    2007 Trek Pilot 1.2 - Sold
    2014 Specialized Hardrock 26 Disc - Sold

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    My uncle had a 26er Recoil. He liked it because he has back problems and even riding on pavement was uncomfortable for him. The suspension took care of the jarring, but the bike was heavy (pushing 40 pounds if I recall). I think now they are making Recoils as 29ers only so those will be even heavier. My uncle's Recoil was stolen several months ago, but that's a separate story. He ended up upgrading to a Sortie 29er, and it's a much better bike. A bit lighter and has way better components. I'd stay away from an entry-level Recoil if you really want to ride up hills. That Specialized will be a much lighter bike and therefore easier to pedal up hills. If you want a full suspension, save up some more and don't waste your money on such a heavy bike.