mtbr member

Shopping for a new bike.

Hey guys, I'm saving up and shopping for a new bike. I'm trying to decide between the Line and the Mason Trail, both very attractive bikes.

What I would like to know, because I'm still a noob is what bike has the better components?

Here is the links to the bikes:

Mason Trail

Line

I'm leaning toward the Mason, but I'd love to hear the from you guys.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Perhaps I asked this question in the wrong section.

mtbr member
    No not really - however, if you describe what kind of riding you're going to be doing, it might help us help you. There's more to a bike than just components, and the capabilities of these two bikes is fairly different. The 3.5 tire on the Mason will allow you to ride more places, but there is a down side to big wheels. The Mason is a better bike, and if I had to choose between the two, the Mason would be it.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I like the Mason too it's been in their upper level line of bikes for a few years now. The line is a rad bike too, but it's more meant for bike park stuff, jumps, shred time etc... The Mason will take you through anything from cross country type stuff to bikepacking, but it may not jump as well, and may not be as responsive because of the big ol meats it has.... Just depends on what you're in to....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    OK thanks. I ride trails that are basic mostly, but there are a couple technical trails around here that my Response 29er did pretty bad on.

That's why I'm looking to upgrade my bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I would say that in the case you're unfit or unused to riding, the Mason could be kind of a problem because of that extra weight. Even the Response you had could be more maneuverable. But the traction and the cushion those tires offer is awesome, so if you'd like that, get the Mason.

If you're more into a quick and nimble bike with a sturdy frame, possibly lighter, and great for bike park, shredding and stuff, the Line could be better.

BUT.
    The Mason has much better spec. It has an air fork and Deore level componentry, which is enough to beat the Line.
    The regular Sync'r would be a more reasonable comparison, and it has 11 speeds versus 10 on the Mason, BUT, still a coil fork.

You should demo them, really. Both are great, and I haven't heard a single one person that has complained of anything in either one.