mtbr member
    Jul 2010

rockshox RT3, which tune do I need?

Im looking at putting a rocksox monarch RT3 on my 2008 mission to replace the fox float R. Rockshox sells a low, medium, and high tune. Which is best for the mission? What is the difference in the tune? Do I need to look for a specific canister size? I weigh about 170 lbs and ride trails with a tons of rocks and roots.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    best for the mission is the dhx 5 air..... the monarch is a xc shock
    2011 transition 250
    2009 DB scapegoat

Singletrack Slayer
    Yeah, so is the RP23 As for the Monarch tune, I'd call SRAM and ask to be sure, but probably if you want a good mid stroke and you ride hard the med or hard tune is probably a good option. BTW I had just had a Sram tech seminar and learned how to rebuild the Monarch, the Shim stacks are available aftermarket and can be pretty easy to change out for a average bike mechanic. I was impressed with how easy the whole system goes together. LBS are going to start doing more of this because 1, faster turn around times, 2. Save you time and money. 3. Money supports your LBS. Push does this as well for a $hit load more, generally. You can call them and see what stack they use to get a better idea. I know that usually they have for every shock, 3 or 4 Shim stacks they use, based on the bikes leverage ratio.
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    No one was talking about the rp23.... Any way check out this thread about the diffrent tunes

Monarch RT-3 test
    2011 transition 250
    2009 DB scapegoat

Singletrack Slayer
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted1 View Post
    No one was talking about the rp23.... Any way check out this thread about the diffrent tunes

Monarch RT-3 test
    I was saying in reference to the statement "(Twisted1) best for the mission is the dhx 5 air..... the monarch is a xc shock "

The RP23 is used on so many styles of bikes, the Monarch is as well...

mtbr member
    To the OP you might want to hit miniwisejosh up as he has the RT or RT3 and loves it. I believe he also has some comparison knowledge between it and a DHX or RP23. he bought his RT from Push directly and they tune it before it leaves the shop to you and your bike spec as part of the purchase price I believe.

I am looking into one myself.

I have to admit its funny- my friends mission came with a medium tuned RP23 with a normal air can and he has a medium frame, my large Mission came with a light tuned RP23 with the Hi Volume air can. His feels 100 times better than mine. So I either have it tuned by Push OR buy a new one and keep this one as a back up between servicing.

Heres the Push link:
    http://www.pushindustries.com/2009/i...20MTB%20Shocks

Let the good times roll.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=7891275&highlight=monarch#post7891275

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=8044281&highlight=monarch#post8044281

I already posted a few times on this topic. Links are above. I'm still 100% happy with my shock after a few more months. Whenever I save enough for a new frame, it will definitely get upgraded to a PUSHed Monarch RT-AM ASAP. It's the best DH-ready shock available for budget conscious buyers IMO. The RT, RT3, and Plus also seem to be excellent choices for riders who care about climbing performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted1 View Post
    best for the mission is the dhx 5 air..... the monarch is a xc shock
    I disagree. My Monarch works better than my old DHX Air, even for legit DH racing. It's every bit as plush, and more controlled in really technical sections. BTW, my DHX was custom tuned (Suspension Experts). Stock, it performed worse than the Monarch, and not a lot better than the '10 RP23.

Let the good times roll.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidNeiles View Post
    Yeah, so is the RP23 As for the Monarch tune, I'd call SRAM and ask to be sure, but probably if you want a good mid stroke and you ride hard the med or hard tune is probably a good option. BTW I had just had a Sram tech seminar and learned how to rebuild the Monarch, the Shim stacks are available aftermarket and can be pretty easy to change out for a average bike mechanic. I was impressed with how easy the whole system goes together. LBS are going to start doing more of this because 1, faster turn around times, 2. Save you time and money. 3. Money supports your LBS. Push does this as well for a $hit load more, generally. You can call them and see what stack they use to get a better idea. I know that usually they have for every shock, 3 or 4 Shim stacks they use, based on the bikes leverage ratio.
    Did SRAM show how to remove Floodgate to make a DIY RT-AM? That would be sweet!

Singletrack Slayer
    Yeah They explaned the flood gate and how it opererates, looks really easy to remove, now reassembling it might be a bit tricky, but seriously it only takes a few tools, a vise, and you can rebuild it in 10 minutes easy. They did it really quick then did it again and let us do it to see the steps, not bad. The shim stacks are the same that Push uses. They said that they generally use a prebuilt shim stack as there are so many made that after a lot of testing with someone continously testing different models on a dyno press; The hard work is done and they can pick a stack to fit the needs your shock needs based on leverage ratio, etc. You know the rest.... Of course you can take the shim stack apart which has a ton of shims and you have to be sure to put it back perfectly. Some stacks are just rearranged in order and some thicker shims to adjust shock rate, or oil flow... I think it is nice that they have the whole stack preassembled as to save the user a lot of time...

Let the good times roll.
    SWEEEET! I love diy stuff.

In that case, I take back my recommendation to the OP. By all means get a Monarch, but (assuming you have time) just play around with it and get your own custom tune. No need to pay a company to do something that you could do yourself IMO.

As for RT vs RT3, the main difference is in # of adjustment points. Supposedly, both shocks have the same range from max to min Floodgate (or LSC if Floodgate is removed). RT gives fine control to really dial in a setting, RT3 gives the ability to rapidly switch between modes on the fly.