mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Response XE 29 bottom bracket issues

I've had this bike on two trails since I've owned it, both beginner trails, and the bottom bracket worked itself loose both times. Diamondback says it's a 5 piece loose ball setup. I'm assuming that's an old school ball bearing/cone type...I want to know if a Shimano UN55 sealed cartridge bottom bracket will be an easy swap, or if it's even compatible with the frame... also, does anyone know what size I need to order...68mmx107mm? Or another size? I'm a beginner and I'm already tired of this damned bottom bracket!

Thanks my peeps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    To remove the crank set you will need a couple tools... You should be able to thread the bolt on your crank arm off with an 8mm allen wrench, then you will need to use this crank puller Park Tool Co. CCP-22 : Crank Puller for Square Taper Cranks : Crank Tools to remove the crank arms. After you get both arms off you will need one of these Park Tool Co. BBT-22 : Bottom Bracket Tool : Bottom Bracket to pull out the bottom bracket and install the new one.

Those tools will probably run you about $30-$45. It may be easier/cheaper to have a shop install a new bottom bracket for you that when when you drop it off they can measure your bb width and spindle length to get the correct size bottom bracket. They will also re-lubricate your threads and such. Going rate should be around $25-$30

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Cool, thanks bball...I took it in last night because I found out it was still under warranty, I asked them I upgrade my BB, so hopefully they will, I still want/need those tools, I'm a mechanical kinda guy and enjoy working on my own stuff...I'll probably buy the tools and maintain my bike myself, I'm tired of taking it in...closest shop is 20 miles away!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

---Late update---

I had a shimano un55 sealed cartridge installed, seems to have done the trick...if anyone needs the size spec for future reference, it's a 68x100...

mtbr member
    I wonder if the same bottom bracket works in the 26 inch frame as well.