Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Response Sport vs. Overdrive vs. Topanga FS

6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  BigCMH 
#1 ·
Just looking for some opinions here. The last time I rode was 10 years ago, and I'm looking to get back into it. Needless to say, in these past few weeks I've quickly learned how much more advanced bikes have gotten so my knowledge is out of date. Anyway, I have a budget of about $500 and I'm trying to decide between a few bikes. I've been looking around online and stopped by the LBS. Unfortunately there isn't a huge selection right now at any of them, and I'm thinking of just ordering something online. I had a Specialized Hard Rock before (until my dad sold it for $20 at a garage sale), but always wanted a Diamondback. Anyway, I was pretty much set on the Response Sport, until I saw that the Overdrive and Topanga FS are only a little more and still within my price range. I was looking at hardtails only until I saw the Topanga FS on the Sports Authority website. I checked out a couple of threads here, and it actually got some decent reviews. I guess I was just wondering how they compare stock. I also wanted to note that whatever bike I get will end up getting upgraded based mainly on $$$ available and parts breaking.

#2 ·
the 2011 Response sport is the best over the base overdrive and the Topanga fs is crap! Not a reg DB Only a SA model, way cheap;) The response sport has a better drivetrain, but if you want a 29er the overdrive is not bad, basically same wheels, shock, brakes, lower end sram x4 24 speed on it instead of the shimano 24spd drivetrain. really decide if you want 29er XC bike or 26" "all mountain bike" ;;to sum it up quickly...

#4 ·
If your budget is 5 bills absolutely go with the Sporty. Full susp at that price is a waste of money. I was in the exact same position as you a few yrs ago. Thought I could pull off a full susp for 500 until I started doing the research. Basically you get a tank of a ride with low end components, not worth it. As it is 500 is a little slim even for a decent rigid. The Sporty will get it done for you. Crap fork, moderate components, but will work for a year, then spend 150 more and pick up a Tora springer and that'll straighten it right up. Great bike for the price, I love mine. For real though, dont waste that $ on a full susp. Wait till you got about 1500 or so to start, then you can realistically look a getting a nice full susp ride. Just the way it is now....well unless you buy used. you can get a dope ride if youre willing to buy used.

#5 ·
I actually ended getting the Recoil. It was $483 shipped off of Amazon. The description was for the '09, but it came in yesterday and it's a 2011. I was almost set on the Response Sport, but figured I'd try a FS bike for a little more. I'll probably have this for the next 5 years and slowly upgrade it. I know it would've been cheaper to spend more on a higher model, but it's less noticeable to the wife spending around $500 and slowly upgrading than $1000+ all at once.

#6 ·
Hope it works out. If you are just riding for a little cardio, and take it easy on the trails, you should be ok. Just don't expect too much from it, otherwise it will drive you crazy. Lol regarding the wife. They are always the wild card with the husband on missle lock. Sometimes better to keep it under the radar !

#7 ·
Well, where I live it's basically flat with some moderately sized hills at the local trails. I plan on riding the same trails I rode 10 years ago on my rigid bike, so I'm thinking this should hold up. We actually went to DSG a few days ago and they had a Response Sport on sale for like $379 and I was kicking myself for not checking this store out earlier (I had checked out another store in the area and they only had the Response XE). Anyway, I haven't had a chance to finish putting it together yet. Overall the bike looks good, and It's not as heavy as I thought it would be either.

#9 · (Edited)
dbfzurowski said:
Get your self FOX RP2 rear shock and you will love your recoil.
I recently bought a Recoil off a guy who won it at a local bar raffle give away. I put on a Rockshox Monarch and am waiting on a set of Tora's and so far it rides great. Not doing anything besides some cardio rides and some basic to intermediate trails but so far I'm extremely happy with the ride. I plan on upgrading it little by little as I go and tackling tougher and tougher rides as my legs get back under me but if it feels right then who cares. Sure it may not be the ideal bike to be bombing any double black diamonds up in Colorado but to cruise around on my local Ohio trails I feel a bit better knowing how much cash I spent. If there comes a time I need a better bike Ill buy a frame and take all my upgrades off of the recoil and build the new one from scratch.

:thumbsup:

#10 ·
Ok, off topic question here. Where do you live in Ohio? I'm in Ohio too... Cleveland/Akron area. We should see about riding some this year if you're not too far away!

Back on topic. To get your feet back under you with MTB, the Recoil will do just fine. Hell, the Recoil will do just fine on most trails in Ohio in general depending on your pace through the trail. But you should do great with that bike here. I wouldn't recommend taking it to Horn's Hill, Mohican Wilderness, or Vulture's Knob DH though... but it seems you may already know that. Just do what you're doing, replace parts as needed, and you'll love the bike.

#11 ·
Dagair002 said:
Ok, off topic question here. Where do you live in Ohio? I'm in Ohio too... Cleveland/Akron area. We should see about riding some this year if you're not too far away!

Back on topic. To get your feet back under you with MTB, the Recoil will do just fine. Hell, the Recoil will do just fine on most trails in Ohio in general depending on your pace through the trail. But you should do great with that bike here. I wouldn't recommend taking it to Horn's Hill, Mohican Wilderness, or Vulture's Knob DH though... but it seems you may already know that. Just do what you're doing, replace parts as needed, and you'll love the bike.
I'm in the Columbus area. And you're right about knowing my place right now. At this point it isn't the bike that I'm worried about it's my ability. You could give me any bike on the market and I'm still not gonna feel comfortable doing any of the more advanced riding. Until I feel like the bike is holding me back I will stick with it. But if you venture south at all this summer shoot me a PM on here and maybe we can work out a trail to ride. I'll do the same if I head north.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.