mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Response Question???

Hello guys,

I am looking to get an entry level mountain bike and uprade components little by little. I will be hitting the trails at least twice a week. I wanted to know if this frame is good to upgrade. I was planning on buying it an upgrade as I brake stuff. Also what size do you guys recomend. I am 5.11 and weight 185. I was thinking 18 medium. Thanks in advance and you guys have some awesome bikes

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I bought a 2011 Response Comp in January. Great bike. Frame feels a little heavy...but it is definitely sturdy and upgradable. In fact, I've already upgraded everything on it. In hindsight, I probably should have just saved my money and bought a base Response instead of the Comp version. Especially since I was going to upgrade everything on it.
    I could've gotten a better fork upgrade instead of the Rock Shox Tora. Oh well...

Anyway, hope that helps.

josh

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Awesome!! Thanks man

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Go with the 20" frame. I'm the same height and build as you, and rode a season on an 18" 2010 Response Comp last year. While I managed on the 18" frame, it would have been much better to have the larger frame. It would've been more "comfy" and not so compact in the cockpit.

Singletrack Slayer
    def a 20Inch frame.. I built up a frame, it is actually a really light frame, not heavy like it looks, You can build it up really light with the right parts..

IMO the 2011 Comp is worth the money, $700 ish You'll get a solid Shimano 9spd Alivio Drivetrain, (makes for easy one at time upgrades) and Shimano Hydro Disc brakes. The Suntour XCT remote lockout fork is not bad and work well! But the money spent on a soid drivetrain and brakes make for 2 good future upgrades reguardless IMO, nice wheelset and a fork, !. Then upgrade little bits like stem, bar, post, and as you break or wearout components upgrade them... That is the best way to go for the money IMO....
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~