Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Release: Any owners yet?

I'm in the market for a new bike. I LOVE my El Oso, so I'm looking at the Diamondback brand and saw the new "Release". All of the professional reviews online seem nit-picky (complaining mostly about the paint scheme). Well, I'm not that vain. I'm much more concerned with how it rides than how it looks.

So...any owners out there with a REAL review?

ac

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I purchased the Release 2 a couple of weeks ago and just got my first ride on it yesterday. This is a great all around bike. It climbed, cornered, and descended better than my previous bike (2010 Yeti 575). I live on the Colorado front range where we have a lot of loose rock and rough trails.

The bike was very playful. I was able to comfortably jump it and throw the bike through quick S turns with ease. For this past ride I set the suspension up per the manufacturers specs and it handled well. On rutted out turns, the bike held its line and didn't waiver. The bikes geometry definitely inspired confidence on the descent.

On climbs there was no noticeable pedal bob. The rear wheel held traction in both slick gravel and through rough rocks as long as I was doing my part.

My only complaint would be the dropper post. Since I bought the Release 2, it came with the externally routed cable. On the descent I notice the seat creep up a little. I suspect this was due to the cable getting tugged by the tire as the rear goes through it's travel. With a little cable routing and a few zip ties I believe I can fix this so it won't be a long term issue.

This bike seems to have a solid build quality. All of the suspension's pivots are built and engineered well.

Overall, I am very pleased with the bike's performance and hope to get a lot of good miles out of the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thank you so much for the review! How about some pics?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'll try to post some up later. The light was fading last night so the pics wouldn't have come out very clear with my camera.

I can say that the color scheme looks a lot better in person than it does on the product page. I know a lot of people were ragging on the 2 tone but I think they did it well. The orange on the rear triangle and wheel has a light metallic flake in it that give a nice shine in some lights.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    What made you chose the 2?

What size did you order? How tall are you? Inseam? How's the fit?

Throw it on a scale yet?

Aren't you glad you responded? :-D

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I chose the 2 because the price point was right for me. I felt I was getting a good component set for my money. The 3 was tempting but I didn't feel like it was necessary.

I'm 5'11 with a 31" inseam. It is definitely the fit I was looking for in a bike.

I did throw it on a scale. With the platform pedals and tubes installed it came in at 32.1 lbs. To compare, my yeti 575 was at 31.1 lbs with pedals. This bike is significantly more rigid than my old one so the weight should be worth it in durability and ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Fair enough. The 2 looks like a really solid build.

Which size did you go with? We sound pretty similar in stature.

I bet you can drop a bit of that weight with tubeless if you desire.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Sorry, failed to mention that I ordered a large.

I have outfitted it with the tubeless setup that came with the bike. Just had to purchase some sealant. This probably dropped about 1/2lb of rotating mass off the bike.

No poop on the trail.
    Apr 2016
    I just got a Release 3, it's still in the box. Once I get it out on it, I lay out a review. From what I can see it looks well built. The color scheme is MUCH better in person. I do plan to throw some red grips up front for a bit of color balance. The spec is great, and ticks all the boxes I was looking for. Hopefully it rides well. Time will tell.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    To FNUSS and Ichno, could you comment on cable routing on the bike? On the stock pictures, the bunching of cables, particularly under the rear shock looks just terrible. Super busy. If you can post the actual photo, it would be great.

No poop on the trail.
    Apr 2016
    Sure thing. My isn't out of the box just yet, but I totally get the concern. I've noticed a few bikes that run the cables in a similar fashion, in that the cables don't follow a tube, (like Niner Rip 9), it's just not as obvious since the shock on the Rip 9 is vertical, which sorta of masks it. It would have been nice if the dropper stayed totally internal rather than coming out of the downtube and into the seat tube. I'm coming off a Scott with all kinds of cables, so it doesn't bother me much. But, I'll post a pic/vid walk around in the next few days for you to judge yourself.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I test rode a Release 3 on one of my favorite trails this weekend. I loved it. The suspension was not set up right for me but it still felt very plush but no boggy either. It just carved the corners very well with out the floppiness that I am used to with my 29er hardtail. It did not feel heavy either. It just worked well. I immediately rode the same trail with my hardtail to compare. Wow! It has been a while since I rode on a full suspension, but it blew me away on how well it smoothed out the trail! Last year I test road a $6k Pivot 29er full suspension and was not nearly as impressed. The Release's slack head angle took some adjusting but only visually. It worked very well as it felt both stable and maneuverable.

I tested a medium but the seatpost was near max height, so I am going to test a large and see if it still fits well. I may get one soon. Those free bike demos get you everytime!

Release: Any owners yet?-fk6r8exl.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pinche View Post
    I test rode a Release 3 on one of my favorite trails this weekend. I loved it. The suspension was not set up right for me but it still felt very plush but no boggy either. It just carved the corners very well with out the floppiness that I am used to with my 29er hardtail. It did not feel heavy either. It just worked well. I immediately rode the same trail with my hardtail to compare. Wow! It has been a while since I rode on a full suspension, but it blew me away on how well it smoothed out the trail! Last year I test road a $6k Pivot 29er full suspension and was not nearly as impressed. The Release's slack head angle took some adjusting but only visually. It worked very well as it felt both stable and maneuverable.

I tested a medium but the seatpost was near max height, so I am going to test a large and see if it still fits well. I may get one soon. Those free bike demos get you everytime!
    How tall are you/inseam to get an idea of the sizing?

I've called all over, I can't find anyone who will stock one to check fit or demo .

ac

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I am 5'9" and my inseam is about 31, I kinda have long legs for my torso. I rode the large and it fit well. I test rode the Release 1 and almost maxed out the stock seatpost, which is short, I think 300mm.

I test rode it at Performance Bikes near me. I local shop (WA state) sponsored the free demos on the weekend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I am 5'9" and my inseam is about 31, I kinda have long legs for my torso. I rode the large and it fit well. I test rode the Release 1 and almost maxed out the stock seatpost, which is short, I think 300mm.

I test rode it at Performance Bikes near me. I local shop (WA state) sponsored the free demos on the weekend.
    I called the closest Performance Bikes to me. They said they have no intent on stocking the bike and could order one for me with a deposit. No demos planned.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Check with REI if there is one near you, some of them carry the nicer Diamondbacks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Check with REI if there is one near you, some of them carry the nicer Diamondbacks.
    Called both. They claim they are "bike shops" as their store specialties. Neither intends to stock.

I don't know how diamondback plans to sell $4k bikes when the stores will only stock ATROZities.
    Last edited by avc8130; 04-12-2016 at 06:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    That is a shame but given Diamondback's history of selling very cheap bikes, I can see why bike shops would have resistance to stocking them. Have you checked the Diamondback site itself for their dealer locator?
    Diamondback seems to be pushing the direct to buyer sales for their better bikes, but it does suck when you want to test them out first.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    That is a shame but given Diamondback's history of selling very cheap bikes, I can see why bike shops would have resistance to stocking them. Have you checked the Diamondback site itself for their dealer locator?
    Diamondback seems to be pushing the direct to buyer sales for their better bikes, but it does suck when you want to test them out first.
    Tried their dealer locator. ***** Sporting Goods, REI came up and 2 LBS. I called both LBS's and they basically scoffed and laughed about Diamondback. In fact, based on my experience calling them, I would strip their dealership if I was DB.

I understand their direct to buyer approach, and I think it works well enough for something like a $500 hard tail. A $4k bike? I'd like to touch it. Check the fit. Etc. They need to figure out how to put a couple sizes at some local stores or get aggressive with the demo truck to get these bikes out there if they are as amazing as they claim. REI/Performance don't need to stock a Release 3. A Release 1 in Med and Lrg would answer the mail for a large portion of their market. Then those of us that want the higher spec could special order them with confidence.

ac

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
    Called both. They claim they ate bike shops. Neither intends to stock.

I don't know how diamondback plans to sell $4k bikes when the stores will only stock atrozities.
    Ate?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatLakesWaterman View Post
    Ate?

"ARE". Stupid auto-correct.

ac

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Holy cow, I just ordered my Release 1! I am going through their direct sales site, as I have a connection through Diamondback Corporate. I guess it pays to be near their headquarters! First time i'v purchased a bike online! But I am glad I got to test it out pretty well beforehand.

Moderator Moderator
    Called both. They claim they are "bike shops" as their store specialties. Neither intends to stock.

I don't know how diamondback plans to sell $4k bikes when the stores will only stock ATROZities.
    Performance Bike had some in stock in Charlotte NC.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Rode one that my buddy just got the other day. Damn good bike

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Rei ships to store free. With the awesome return policy... Just saying.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Rei ships to store free. With the awesome return policy... Just saying.

I'm not a member but I guess that would be worth joining over.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm not a member but I guess that would be worth joining over.
    Yes, join. The shipping to store is free for non-member, too. Join for the massive dividend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Holy cow, I just ordered my Release 1! I am going through their direct sales site, as I have a connection through Diamondback Corporate. I guess it pays to be near their headquarters! First time i'v purchased a bike online! But I am glad I got to test it out pretty well beforehand.
    Diamondback Corporate is the way to go if you have access to their discounts, and you do not need to be near their headquarters. I'm on the other side of the country, but have access to them through work. Just got my Release 3 with free shipping. I haven't seen anyone who can come close to their price. Unfortunately, I'm now working out of town, so haven't had a chance to ride it yet.
    Last edited by Right Coast Rider; 04-14-2016 at 10:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Coast Rider View Post
    Diamondback Corporate is the way to go if you have access to their discounts, and you do not need to be near their headquarters. I'm on the other side of the country, but have access to them through work. Just got my Release 3 for and free shipping. I haven't seen anyone who can come close to that price. Unfortunately, I'm now working out of town, so haven't had a chance to ride it yet.
    I thought one of the major stipulations of that program wad that you didn't publicly share the pricing. ..

I get special pricing through work but they don't accept returns.

DB also charges sales tax on that program. Fwiw
    Last edited by avc8130; 04-14-2016 at 09:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yes DB does charge sales tax but had free shipping. I also think you may want to edit that price out so as not to upset the corporate people.
    My bikes already shipped and now I have to bear the long wait! (only 5 days).

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FNUSS View Post

I have outfitted it with the tubeless setup that came with the bike. Just had to purchase some sealant. This probably dropped about 1/2lb of rotating mass off the bike.
    Are you able to get proper seat height? I'm concerned with a size large that it comes with a 150mm dropper and I won't be able to get the seat low enough with the dropper fully extended.

ac

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichno View Post
    Sure thing. My isn't out of the box just yet, but I totally get the concern. I've noticed a few bikes that run the cables in a similar fashion, in that the cables don't follow a tube, (like Niner Rip 9), it's just not as obvious since the shock on the Rip 9 is vertical, which sorta of masks it. It would have been nice if the dropper stayed totally internal rather than coming out of the downtube and into the seat tube. I'm coming off a Scott with all kinds of cables, so it doesn't bother me much. But, I'll post a pic/vid walk around in the next few days for you to judge yourself.
    You get that beauty out of the box yet? Can't wait for your pic/vid/review!

ac

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Coast Rider View Post
    Diamondback Corporate is the way to go if you have access to their discounts, and you do not need to be near their headquarters. I'm on the other side of the country, but have access to them through work. Just got my Release 3 with free shipping. I haven't seen anyone who can come close to their price. Unfortunately, I'm now working out of town, so haven't had a chance to ride it yet.
    \

More input!

What size did you get? How tall are you/inseam? How's the fit?

Did you get to ride it yet?

ac

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yes DB does charge sales tax but had free shipping. I also think you may want to edit that price out so as not to upset the corporate people.
    My bikes already shipped and now I have to bear the long wait! (only 5 days).
    It's been 5 days... :-)

ac

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I would have had it today if the idiots at Fed Ex had not misdelivered it!!!!!!!! I should get it tomorrow, so they say.
    I test rode a size large and it felt good. I am 5'9" with a 31 inch inseam, if that helps. I will be sure to give more info once I get my bike. Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I would have had it today if the idiots at Fed Ex had not misdelivered it!!!!!!!! I should get it tomorrow, so they say.
    I test rode a size large and it felt good. I am 5'9" with a 31 inch inseam, if that helps. I will be sure to give more info once I get my bike. Can't wait!
    Dirt bags!

Once you get it setup, let me know how the seat height works out. That's the only sticking point before I order mine!

ac

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Finally got it! I just put my pedals on and pumped up the tires. I will go for a ride later today and will report! The seatpost is just a ballpark of my preferred height but it seems to fit me well.
    (reflectors have been removed now, I will not be seen on the trail with such a fashion faux pax)
    Release: Any owners yet?-62emjsoh.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Finally got it! I just put my pedals on and pumped up the tires. I will go for a ride later today and will report! The seatpost is just a ballpark of my preferred height but it seems to fit me well.
    (reflectors have been removed now, I will not be seen on the trail with such a fashion faux pax)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62EmJsoh.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	1065198
    Congrats on the ride!

I see your model didn't come with a dropper. If you could, let me know what seat height you wind up settling on. That's a large? So the BB to seat clamp should be 19"?

ac

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'll sling a leg over a medium and a large in a day or 2

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Release: Any owners yet?-ak0vfuth.jpg

Wow I love this this thing! I did a short 4 mile ride to dial in suspension pressure, but was amazed on how natural it felt and how smooth it was! Coming from a 29er HT is a huge difference. My old Spec. Enduro (2001) also feels so primitive! I'll give more details as I go on more rides, but so far it is great!

Yes the size large is 19in BB to top of the seat tube. I am running the seat height at 27 inches BB to seat rails (8 inches of seat tube showing). I will be transferring my old dropper post and 1x gear soon!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aK0VFuTh.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	214.8 KB 
ID:	1065238

Wow I love this this thing! I did a short 4 mile ride to dial in suspension pressure, but was amazed on how natural it felt and how smooth it was! Coming from a 29er HT is a huge difference. My old Spec. Enduro (2001) also feels so primitive! I'll give more details as I go on more rides, but so far it is great!

Yes the size large is 19in BB to top of the seat tube. I am running the seat height at 27 inches BB to seat rails (8 inches of seat tube showing). I will be transferring my old dropper post and 1x gear soon!
    Definitely keep the details coming.

Great news about the seat height. I think the dropper minimum seat height is ~210mm so just a tad over 8". Is 31" your "jeans inseam" or your "REAL inseam"?

The bike looks great in the wild.

ac

No poop on the trail.
    Apr 2016
    You get that beauty out of the box yet? Can't wait for your pic/vid/review!

ac
    Finally out of the box. I didn't get a pic snapped just yet. First impression of the Release 3: Nice spec, feels like a good build. Cable routing looks much better than in the pictures. I compared the weight, via the heft method compared to my Scott Spark 750, and it was fairly indistinguishable. I'll try to get it on a scale. Assembly was easy, just attach the wheel and hook up the dropper. Probably took longer to remove the packing material than anything. It comes with a shock pump, pretty decent looking pedals, some spare zip ties, and a few manuals for the fork, shock, and dropper. I started to get the shock setup but with 2' of snow on the ground I couldn't do much more than that. I will say the paint looks much much nicer in person as well. I'll be headed out with it this weekend to Fruita, CO. I'll get some video and pics.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Finally out of the box. I didn't get a pic snapped just yet. First impression of the Release 3: Nice spec, feels like a good build. Cable routing looks much better than in the pictures. I compared the weight, via the heft method compared to my Scott Spark 750, and it was fairly indistinguishable. I'll try to get it on a scale. Assembly was easy, just attach the wheel and hook up the dropper. Probably took longer to remove the packing material than anything. It comes with a shock pump, pretty decent looking pedals, some spare zip ties, and a few manuals for the fork, shock, and dropper. I started to get the shock setup but with 2' of snow on the ground I couldn't do much more than that. I will say the paint looks much much nicer in person as well. I'll be headed out with it this weekend to Fruita, CO. I'll get some video and pics.
    Thanks for a quick update; definitely snap few photos/video if you can.

And thanks to Darth Pinche for his posts, too - Release 1 does not look too bad either (much better than the stock pics). Decisions, decisions...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    What size did you order? What are your dimensions?

I really look forward to your pics/vids!

ac

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Well that's one way to solve the sizing question! Baller!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'll take picks when they are opened.

No poop on the trail.
    Apr 2016
    I'm 5'6", so I went with a small. I went into a performance and sat on a medium and felt too stretched out, the bars are really wide. If I have to get a slightly longer stem on the small it's not a big deal. Oh, the rims are pretty darn wide, and give the tires a pretty sweet profile. Can't wait to get on this puppy tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Release: Any owners yet?-0dqjffah.jpg

Yes the 2.35 tires are huge with the wider rims! I went out to weigh the bike and using my bathroom scale it is about 33 pounds with my pedals (347grams). The reviews said the release 3 was 30 lbs, so I assume the fork and drivetrain makes the difference. I'll lose a little going to 1x10 and maybe tubeless, but will add a little with my eten dropper. I do want to transfer my old seat though. The oem WTB has a nice shape but it is very grabby vinyl. I prefer my ancient WTB ti railed Rocket V.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by FNUSS View Post

Do the tubeless rim strips come already installed? Mine came with the tubeless valves in the box of goodies, but no rim strips in the box. Cool mud fender though (along with shock pump and keychain)

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast