Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    mtbr member
    Hello, Ive been lurking in this thread for a little while now and was thinking about purchasing a release 3 to be a "back up" bike to my Hightower. What other bikes does the release compare to? Scout,Mojo3,5010? would that be about right? For the price I can get one with my work discount (btw if your a coca cola employee you get 50% off right now) its definitely the front runner, the bike is spec'd so well. So what else can be said about the bike that has not been said already? Do you have any complaints about the external cables? And what are the real world weights of these bikes set up tubeless? what other tires have people tried and will a 2.5 WT fit?
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I run 2.4's with no issues. 2.5's should fit easy.

As far as competitors, I'd see the Bronson as one. Same front travel and rear shock size (Bronson has 20mm more rear travel).

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Not a bad thought with a well rounded quiver of bikes like that. The release is more of a freeride oriented all mountain rig. It will be so much more fun if you are shuttling or riding a bike park. Now no doubt the bike is super heavy but it doesn't pedal that way. Pretty efficient climber, super slacked for the DH, short around corners, and great components.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jmobackcountry View Post
    Sorry my bad Race Face Atlas 35 20mm Rise Handlebar Just pulled the trigger on the XO eagle parts and magura mt trail brakes
    Hey jmo, Just curious did you end up cutting the ATLAS bars? I normally ride with 780mm bars. Do you think 800mm is too wide?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by SentiRyder View Post
    Hey jmo, Just curious did you end up cutting the ATLAS bars? I normally ride with 780mm bars. Do you think 800mm is too wide?
    I got a 35mm thick 800mm wide SixC bar and cut it down to 780. Unless you're doing DH, I could see the justification for the extra 10mm on each side.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dadasmithywinkle View Post
    I got a 35mm thick 800mm wide SixC bar and cut it down to 780. Unless you're doing DH, I could see the justification for the extra 10mm on each side.
    Thanks for your input dadasmithywinkle

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I just cut the stock bars down to 760 and like it better. For my frame, it feels a little more nimble but still nice control. I was amazed on how different it felt. I rode with my controls moved in a bit for a few rides before I made the cut.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    yea i mean they put 780mm bars on their which is what is recommended since i am on the larger side of a large i stepped up. if you are on the smaller side i would cut down. If you are right in the middle dont change. The tested at the width the bike would perform its very best.

Mountain bike mag says it best "choosing a wider bar will offer more leverage over rough terrain on descents, as well as more leverage over the bike during slower cadence climbing. Narrower bars will put the rider in a forward-leaning, aerodynamic position that allows the rider to spin at a higher cadence more efficiently, but will sacrifice stability going downhill. It’s important to keep in mind that these changes in bar widths will also result in changing your reach on the bike. A change in reach can affect body-weight distribution as well as overall bike fit. To remedy this, we recommend shortening your stem around 10 millimeters for every 20 millimeters of bar width gained—and vice versa. "

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Thanks for your replies Darth Pinche and jmobackcountry.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I'd like to try a 1x10, currently have 2x10 stock drive train right now. Could I just throw on a Race Face 32T (104mm) chain ring and it'll work out? Not sure what else is involved in a 1x conversion. Chain link adjustment? Chain loss prevention?

Think I'd rather the simplicity, look and weight loss of the 1x10.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    As long as the chainring you add is a narrow wide type, you do not need any other chain retention device. You may need to take a few chain links out. That is what I did and it has worked out just fine. I am using, however, a 24T NW ring that mounts on the inner mount of the stock cranks (Release one). But I am an oddball.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Thank you for the response! Yes, I would be using a narrow wide type chain ring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pinche View Post
    As long as the chainring you add is a narrow wide type, you do not need any other chain retention device. You may need to take a few chain links out. That is what I did and it has worked out just fine. I am using, however, a 24T NW ring that mounts on the inner mount of the stock cranks (Release one). But I am an oddball.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Darth, just curious if you spin out much with 24/11 max gearing?

EDIT: Sorry, just read your comments about exactly this earlier in this thread... Never mind.
    Last edited by Stepford; 1 Day Ago at 03:56 PM.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789