Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Hello, Ive been lurking in this thread for a little while now and was thinking about purchasing a release 3 to be a "back up" bike to my Hightower. What other bikes does the release compare to? Scout,Mojo3,5010? would that be about right? For the price I can get one with my work discount (btw if your a coca cola employee you get 50% off right now) its definitely the front runner, the bike is spec'd so well. So what else can be said about the bike that has not been said already? Do you have any complaints about the external cables? And what are the real world weights of these bikes set up tubeless? what other tires have people tried and will a 2.5 WT fit?
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I run 2.4's with no issues. 2.5's should fit easy.

As far as competitors, I'd see the Bronson as one. Same front travel and rear shock size (Bronson has 20mm more rear travel).

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Not a bad thought with a well rounded quiver of bikes like that. The release is more of a freeride oriented all mountain rig. It will be so much more fun if you are shuttling or riding a bike park. Now no doubt the bike is super heavy but it doesn't pedal that way. Pretty efficient climber, super slacked for the DH, short around corners, and great components.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jmobackcountry View Post
    Sorry my bad Race Face Atlas 35 20mm Rise Handlebar Just pulled the trigger on the XO eagle parts and magura mt trail brakes
    Hey jmo, Just curious did you end up cutting the ATLAS bars? I normally ride with 780mm bars. Do you think 800mm is too wide?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by SentiRyder View Post
    Hey jmo, Just curious did you end up cutting the ATLAS bars? I normally ride with 780mm bars. Do you think 800mm is too wide?
    I got a 35mm thick 800mm wide SixC bar and cut it down to 780. Unless you're doing DH, I could see the justification for the extra 10mm on each side.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dadasmithywinkle View Post
    I got a 35mm thick 800mm wide SixC bar and cut it down to 780. Unless you're doing DH, I could see the justification for the extra 10mm on each side.
    Thanks for your input dadasmithywinkle

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I just cut the stock bars down to 760 and like it better. For my frame, it feels a little more nimble but still nice control. I was amazed on how different it felt. I rode with my controls moved in a bit for a few rides before I made the cut.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    yea i mean they put 780mm bars on their which is what is recommended since i am on the larger side of a large i stepped up. if you are on the smaller side i would cut down. If you are right in the middle dont change. The tested at the width the bike would perform its very best.

Mountain bike mag says it best "choosing a wider bar will offer more leverage over rough terrain on descents, as well as more leverage over the bike during slower cadence climbing. Narrower bars will put the rider in a forward-leaning, aerodynamic position that allows the rider to spin at a higher cadence more efficiently, but will sacrifice stability going downhill. It’s important to keep in mind that these changes in bar widths will also result in changing your reach on the bike. A change in reach can affect body-weight distribution as well as overall bike fit. To remedy this, we recommend shortening your stem around 10 millimeters for every 20 millimeters of bar width gained—and vice versa. "

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Thanks for your replies Darth Pinche and jmobackcountry.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I'd like to try a 1x10, currently have 2x10 stock drive train right now. Could I just throw on a Race Face 32T (104mm) chain ring and it'll work out? Not sure what else is involved in a 1x conversion. Chain link adjustment? Chain loss prevention?

Think I'd rather the simplicity, look and weight loss of the 1x10.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    As long as the chainring you add is a narrow wide type, you do not need any other chain retention device. You may need to take a few chain links out. That is what I did and it has worked out just fine. I am using, however, a 24T NW ring that mounts on the inner mount of the stock cranks (Release one). But I am an oddball.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Thank you for the response! Yes, I would be using a narrow wide type chain ring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pinche View Post
    As long as the chainring you add is a narrow wide type, you do not need any other chain retention device. You may need to take a few chain links out. That is what I did and it has worked out just fine. I am using, however, a 24T NW ring that mounts on the inner mount of the stock cranks (Release one). But I am an oddball.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Darth, just curious if you spin out much with 24/11 max gearing?

EDIT: Sorry, just read your comments about exactly this earlier in this thread... Never mind.
    Last edited by Stepford; 03-27-2017 at 03:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Can anyone with a 2016 release 1 verify hub spacing for the wheel/fork?

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Pretty sure its 100mm. They only updated the front to 110mm boost for 2017.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Stepford View Post
    Pretty sure its 100mm. They only updated the front to 110mm boost for 2017.
    Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    The 2017 Performance Edition is also 100mm. Aside from that, as said by Stepford the 16's are 100 and the 17's are 110.

All are 148 rear though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Anyone know the inner width size of the wheels that comes with the Release?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SentiRyder View Post
    Anyone know the inner width size of the wheels that comes with the Release?
    28mm id.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    28mm id.
    Thanks watermonkey

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I just measured my 2016 and can confirm the front in 100mm.

mtbr member
    I just ordered a 2017 Release 1 for my son. Specs are saying the Yari RC is boost spacing, so it sure hope it comes that way. I would like for there to be consistency across all of our trail bikes.

I sure hope he can climb with a 30t ring, because one oversight on the order I made, the NX crank won't take a ring smaller than 30 since its not direct mount.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I just ordered a 2017 Release 1 for my son. Specs are saying the Yari RC is boost spacing, so it sure hope it comes that way. I would like for there to be consistency across all of our trail bikes.

I sure hope he can climb with a 30t ring, because one oversight on the order I made, the NX crank won't take a ring smaller than 30 since its not direct mount.
    I'm fat and can climb with the 30T. He'll be fine.

As far as boost goes, all 2017's have 110 front, aside from the Performance Bike edition.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Depends on what you climb. Long steep trails in my area (~20%) I can do in bottom gear of the 2x10 on my 2016 Release, but crap out after a few hundred yards if I try to hold a higher gear. But I'm old and weak too.

If the gearing on the 17 Release 1 is too steep I'd be tempted to try one of the 11-46 cassette options that work with the Shimano freehub.

mtbr member
    A little tweety bird told me, a carbon version is coming!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I had been assuming that for a while. I wonder if they will offer just a frame? My Release 3 components are plenty good enough to swap over...

ac

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    This would be epic!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I'd buy it, depending on the price.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dadasmithywinkle View Post
    I'd buy it, depending on the price.
    That's the whole question isn't it? The Release at its discounted price point may be one of the best deals around. If a Carbon version came out decently spec'd for $3K or so (discounted price) it could be similarly great. Over $4-5K, though, there are a number of pretty nice alternatives.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    That's the whole question isn't it? The Release at its discounted price point may be one of the best deals around. If a Carbon version came out decently spec'd for $3K or so (discounted price) it could be similarly great. Over $4-5K, though, there are a number of pretty nice alternatives.
    For 4K-5K, I'd rather just get a Bronson CC frame and swap my parts onto that.

mtbr member
    Depending on how this all goes down, Santa Cruz and Diamondback might soon be owned by the same company anyway.
    Pon Holdings makes offer to buy Accell Group | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Carbon is interesting, but it is all about the price. If it is a big weight drop, I might be interested. But then again my bikes husky weight does not bother me too much once I am riding.

mtbr member

Good news on this front - while the SRAM catalog only lists the NX cranks with a 4 bolt option for a smallest 30t ring, the NX that came on the bike is actually a direct mount...which means I can put a 28t (probably oval) on his too.

2 good rides trail rides on this for him so far - he's 9, 4'11" and fits it just fine. Dropped the stem and cut the bars down, but otherwise its good to go. I modified a old Joplin dropper, cut the post down, so he can even run a dropper on it. The stock damping might be a bit firm for his 90 lbs, but, I think we're getting decent travel out of both the front and rear, and it doesn't seem overly harsh.

FYI to EVERYBODY riding these bikes, Catch or Release 1,2 or 3. The Novatec hubs spec'd on these, the damn non-drive side end cap WILL come loose, which effects freehub pawl engagement. These end caps MUST be blue loctite'd, and check'd regularly. Additionally, check the clip spring that engages the pawls...on both my wife's release and my sons, the spring had moved, resulting in some pawls not engaging.
    Release: Any owners yet?-release-1-freehub.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll second the hub thing. Even on my upgraded Novatech hub, it gets loose. I blue loctited it last week , so hopefully it will hold.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm looking at a Release but don't have anywhere local to demo so I'm unsure on the size. I'm 5'11", but generally fit better on a medium bike. I've demo'd a Fuel Ex 8 and preferred the 18.5, and an Anthem 2 and preferred the medium.

Is anyone 5'10" or above riding a medium?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by maninthebox View Post
    I'm looking at a Release but don't have anywhere local to demo so I'm unsure on the size. I'm 5'11", but generally fit better on a medium bike. I've demo'd a Fuel Ex 8 and preferred the 18.5, and an Anthem 2 and preferred the medium.

I'm ~ 5' 11" and I ride a large. I could easily ride a medium.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017

FWIW I demo'd an EX 8 as well and felt I had a good fit in a 19.5, but still felt that the 21" XL Release fit me better than the 19" L. So size preference on the Trek doesn't necessarily imply the same size works on the Release.

That said I think I was more worried about a slightly cramped feeling cockpit on the size L Release I demo'd than was really necessary. I think I could have made an L comfortable just by swapping in a longer stem. This would have also had the advantage of allowing me to run a longer dropper seatpost as well as saving a bit of weight.

Short summary: The Release does seem to feel a bit smaller than the Trek EX for a given frame size. Demo the bike if you can, but if you're between sizes you can probably make the smaller one fit by playing with stem length.

BTW Diamondback has a pretty good sale on Releases right now (through 4/23) if you get the corporate discount.

mtbr member

I'm 5'10", when I'm not slouching, ride a large, and had to put a longer stem on it because I felt cramped. My son is only 4'11" and he's riding a small, with 4" of post out. These run small. The medium felt like a bmx bike under me, because I ordered a Large, got a Medium in the box and had a chance to try it on for size (tiny).

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    FWIW I demo'd an EX 8 as well and felt I had a good fit in a 19.5, but still felt that the 21" XL Release fit me better than the 19" L. So size preference on the Trek doesn't necessarily imply the same size works on the Release.

That said I think I was more worried about a slightly cramped feeling cockpit on the size L Release I demo'd than was really necessary. I think I could have made an L comfortable just by swapping in a longer stem. This would have also had the advantage of allowing me to run a longer dropper seatpost as well as saving a bit of weight.

Short summary: The Release does seem to feel a bit smaller than the Trek EX for a given frame size. Demo the bike if you can, but if you're between sizes you can probably make the smaller one fit by playing with stem length.

BTW Diamondback has a pretty good sale on Releases right now (through 4/23) if you get the corporate discount.
    Thanks for the info. That's kind of what I was figuring is that it would be difficult to go with a shorter stem on the large since it's already 40mm, but I could go longer on the medium. I'm still looking for somewhere to demo but no luck so far.

I do get the corporate discount so the prices look really good right now. I was set on the 2016 Release 2 but it went OOS, so now I'm back and forth between models again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Worth mentioning that DB now seems to be recommending the L size Release for rider heights of 5'9" to 6'0". I'm pretty sure they shifted this down an inch from last year (since at 6'1" I was right in between their recommendations for the L and XL). Certainly sizing depends on more than height, but this may be DB's way of acknowledging that these bikes run a bit on the small side.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Worth mentioning that DB now seems to be recommending the L size Release for rider heights of 5'9" to 6'0". I'm pretty sure they shifted this down an inch from last year (since at 6'1" I was right in between their recommendations for the L and XL). Certainly sizing depends on more than height, but this may be DB's way of acknowledging that these bikes run a bit on the small side.
    I ordered a medium yesterday and now I'm second guessing myself based on the feedback here. I did chat with Diamondback and told them what I've ridden and they also recommended I try a medium. The reach and top tube are close to the Anthem 2, which is the bike I felt most comfortable on. I guess we'll find out Friday - fingers crossed that it fits.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Don't let me rain on your parade. Specifics of your body shape and preference matter more than a simple height guideline. Also riders on the edge between two sizes can usually make either size fit. If your Medium is close to right I bet you'll be fine with maybe the longer stem.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I ordered a medium yesterday and now I'm second guessing myself based on the feedback here. I did chat with Diamondback and told them what I've ridden and they also recommended I try a medium. The reach and top tube are close to the Anthem 2, which is the bike I felt most comfortable on. I guess we'll find out Friday - fingers crossed that it fits.
    I rode both the Anthem 2 and a Release size medium. The Anthem 2 felt just a tad shorter compared to the Release in terms of reach. My friend is 5'11 and he replaced the stem to a 50mm and handlebars with 20mm rise on his Release. He said that he can ride the large but preferred the medium due to the shorter top tube. He doesn't like going below 40mm stem because he feels that it puts his body more towards the rear of the bike. I guess it's a matter of preference. Let us know how your new bike works out for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    For the 2017 Release 3, does it have the Pike with Dual Position Air or DebonAir?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Don't let me rain on your parade. Specifics of your body shape and preference matter more than a simple height guideline. Also riders on the edge between two sizes can usually make either size fit. If your Medium is close to right I bet you'll be fine with maybe the longer stem.
    Got the bike today and probably could have gone with a large, but it's not too bad. I threw a 50mm stem on and it definitely helped, but feel like a 60mm would be even better so I'll have to pick one up. Haven't had a chance to take it for a real ride yet so that will be the true test - hopefully tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    got the bike today and probably could have gone with a large, but it's not too bad. I threw a 50mm stem on and it definitely helped, but feel like a 60mm would be even better so i'll have to pick one up. Haven't had a chance to take it for a real ride yet so that will be the true test - hopefully tomorrow.
    post photos

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Got the bike today and probably could have gone with a large, but it's not too bad. I threw a 50mm stem on and it definitely helped, but feel like a 60mm would be even better so I'll have to pick one up. Haven't had a chance to take it for a real ride yet so that will be the true test - hopefully tomorrow.
    Congrats! Definitely post some pics.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Made it out to the trail today. I still need to dial in the suspension, but it still felt pretty good. The only problem I had was with the width of the bars. The trail was tight so I clipped a lot of trees. I'll probably give it a few more tries and then decide if I want to trim the bars.

Release: Any owners yet?-20170422_111018.jpgRelease: Any owners yet?-20170422_111029.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Made it out to the trail today. I still need to dial in the suspension, but it still felt pretty good. The only problem I had was with the width of the bars. The trail was tight so I clipped a lot of trees. I'll probably give it a few more tries and then decide if I want to trim the bars.
    Bike looks great! What stem did you end up putting on it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    How did that seat feel? From here it looks like it may not have been too comfy on some sensitive areas...

ac

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast