Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Hello, Ive been lurking in this thread for a little while now and was thinking about purchasing a release 3 to be a "back up" bike to my Hightower. What other bikes does the release compare to? Scout,Mojo3,5010? would that be about right? For the price I can get one with my work discount (btw if your a coca cola employee you get 50% off right now) its definitely the front runner, the bike is spec'd so well. So what else can be said about the bike that has not been said already? Do you have any complaints about the external cables? And what are the real world weights of these bikes set up tubeless? what other tires have people tried and will a 2.5 WT fit?
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I run 2.4's with no issues. 2.5's should fit easy.

As far as competitors, I'd see the Bronson as one. Same front travel and rear shock size (Bronson has 20mm more rear travel).

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Not a bad thought with a well rounded quiver of bikes like that. The release is more of a freeride oriented all mountain rig. It will be so much more fun if you are shuttling or riding a bike park. Now no doubt the bike is super heavy but it doesn't pedal that way. Pretty efficient climber, super slacked for the DH, short around corners, and great components.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jmobackcountry View Post
    Sorry my bad Race Face Atlas 35 20mm Rise Handlebar Just pulled the trigger on the XO eagle parts and magura mt trail brakes
    Hey jmo, Just curious did you end up cutting the ATLAS bars? I normally ride with 780mm bars. Do you think 800mm is too wide?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by SentiRyder View Post
    Hey jmo, Just curious did you end up cutting the ATLAS bars? I normally ride with 780mm bars. Do you think 800mm is too wide?
    I got a 35mm thick 800mm wide SixC bar and cut it down to 780. Unless you're doing DH, I could see the justification for the extra 10mm on each side.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dadasmithywinkle View Post
    I got a 35mm thick 800mm wide SixC bar and cut it down to 780. Unless you're doing DH, I could see the justification for the extra 10mm on each side.
    Thanks for your input dadasmithywinkle

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I just cut the stock bars down to 760 and like it better. For my frame, it feels a little more nimble but still nice control. I was amazed on how different it felt. I rode with my controls moved in a bit for a few rides before I made the cut.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    yea i mean they put 780mm bars on their which is what is recommended since i am on the larger side of a large i stepped up. if you are on the smaller side i would cut down. If you are right in the middle dont change. The tested at the width the bike would perform its very best.

Mountain bike mag says it best "choosing a wider bar will offer more leverage over rough terrain on descents, as well as more leverage over the bike during slower cadence climbing. Narrower bars will put the rider in a forward-leaning, aerodynamic position that allows the rider to spin at a higher cadence more efficiently, but will sacrifice stability going downhill. It’s important to keep in mind that these changes in bar widths will also result in changing your reach on the bike. A change in reach can affect body-weight distribution as well as overall bike fit. To remedy this, we recommend shortening your stem around 10 millimeters for every 20 millimeters of bar width gained—and vice versa. "

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Thanks for your replies Darth Pinche and jmobackcountry.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I'd like to try a 1x10, currently have 2x10 stock drive train right now. Could I just throw on a Race Face 32T (104mm) chain ring and it'll work out? Not sure what else is involved in a 1x conversion. Chain link adjustment? Chain loss prevention?

Think I'd rather the simplicity, look and weight loss of the 1x10.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    As long as the chainring you add is a narrow wide type, you do not need any other chain retention device. You may need to take a few chain links out. That is what I did and it has worked out just fine. I am using, however, a 24T NW ring that mounts on the inner mount of the stock cranks (Release one). But I am an oddball.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Thank you for the response! Yes, I would be using a narrow wide type chain ring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pinche View Post
    As long as the chainring you add is a narrow wide type, you do not need any other chain retention device. You may need to take a few chain links out. That is what I did and it has worked out just fine. I am using, however, a 24T NW ring that mounts on the inner mount of the stock cranks (Release one). But I am an oddball.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Darth, just curious if you spin out much with 24/11 max gearing?

EDIT: Sorry, just read your comments about exactly this earlier in this thread... Never mind.
    Last edited by Stepford; 03-27-2017 at 03:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Can anyone with a 2016 release 1 verify hub spacing for the wheel/fork?

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Pretty sure its 100mm. They only updated the front to 110mm boost for 2017.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Stepford View Post
    Pretty sure its 100mm. They only updated the front to 110mm boost for 2017.
    Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    The 2017 Performance Edition is also 100mm. Aside from that, as said by Stepford the 16's are 100 and the 17's are 110.

All are 148 rear though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Anyone know the inner width size of the wheels that comes with the Release?

mtbr member
    Anyone know the inner width size of the wheels that comes with the Release?
    28mm id.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    28mm id.
    Thanks watermonkey

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I just measured my 2016 and can confirm the front in 100mm.

mtbr member
    I just ordered a 2017 Release 1 for my son. Specs are saying the Yari RC is boost spacing, so it sure hope it comes that way. I would like for there to be consistency across all of our trail bikes.

I sure hope he can climb with a 30t ring, because one oversight on the order I made, the NX crank won't take a ring smaller than 30 since its not direct mount.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I just ordered a 2017 Release 1 for my son. Specs are saying the Yari RC is boost spacing, so it sure hope it comes that way. I would like for there to be consistency across all of our trail bikes.

I sure hope he can climb with a 30t ring, because one oversight on the order I made, the NX crank won't take a ring smaller than 30 since its not direct mount.
    I'm fat and can climb with the 30T. He'll be fine.

As far as boost goes, all 2017's have 110 front, aside from the Performance Bike edition.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Depends on what you climb. Long steep trails in my area (~20%) I can do in bottom gear of the 2x10 on my 2016 Release, but crap out after a few hundred yards if I try to hold a higher gear. But I'm old and weak too.

If the gearing on the 17 Release 1 is too steep I'd be tempted to try one of the 11-46 cassette options that work with the Shimano freehub.

mtbr member
    A little tweety bird told me, a carbon version is coming!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I had been assuming that for a while. I wonder if they will offer just a frame? My Release 3 components are plenty good enough to swap over...

ac

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    This would be epic!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I'd buy it, depending on the price.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I'd buy it, depending on the price.
    That's the whole question isn't it? The Release at its discounted price point may be one of the best deals around. If a Carbon version came out decently spec'd for $3K or so (discounted price) it could be similarly great. Over $4-5K, though, there are a number of pretty nice alternatives.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    That's the whole question isn't it? The Release at its discounted price point may be one of the best deals around. If a Carbon version came out decently spec'd for $3K or so (discounted price) it could be similarly great. Over $4-5K, though, there are a number of pretty nice alternatives.
    For 4K-5K, I'd rather just get a Bronson CC frame and swap my parts onto that.

mtbr member
    Depending on how this all goes down, Santa Cruz and Diamondback might soon be owned by the same company anyway.
    Pon Holdings makes offer to buy Accell Group | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Carbon is interesting, but it is all about the price. If it is a big weight drop, I might be interested. But then again my bikes husky weight does not bother me too much once I am riding.

mtbr member

Good news on this front - while the SRAM catalog only lists the NX cranks with a 4 bolt option for a smallest 30t ring, the NX that came on the bike is actually a direct mount...which means I can put a 28t (probably oval) on his too.

2 good rides trail rides on this for him so far - he's 9, 4'11" and fits it just fine. Dropped the stem and cut the bars down, but otherwise its good to go. I modified a old Joplin dropper, cut the post down, so he can even run a dropper on it. The stock damping might be a bit firm for his 90 lbs, but, I think we're getting decent travel out of both the front and rear, and it doesn't seem overly harsh.

FYI to EVERYBODY riding these bikes, Catch or Release 1,2 or 3. The Novatec hubs spec'd on these, the damn non-drive side end cap WILL come loose, which effects freehub pawl engagement. These end caps MUST be blue loctite'd, and check'd regularly. Additionally, check the clip spring that engages the pawls...on both my wife's release and my sons, the spring had moved, resulting in some pawls not engaging.
    Release: Any owners yet?-release-1-freehub.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll second the hub thing. Even on my upgraded Novatech hub, it gets loose. I blue loctited it last week , so hopefully it will hold.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm looking at a Release but don't have anywhere local to demo so I'm unsure on the size. I'm 5'11", but generally fit better on a medium bike. I've demo'd a Fuel Ex 8 and preferred the 18.5, and an Anthem 2 and preferred the medium.

Is anyone 5'10" or above riding a medium?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by maninthebox View Post
    I'm looking at a Release but don't have anywhere local to demo so I'm unsure on the size. I'm 5'11", but generally fit better on a medium bike. I've demo'd a Fuel Ex 8 and preferred the 18.5, and an Anthem 2 and preferred the medium.

I'm ~ 5' 11" and I ride a large. I could easily ride a medium.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017

FWIW I demo'd an EX 8 as well and felt I had a good fit in a 19.5, but still felt that the 21" XL Release fit me better than the 19" L. So size preference on the Trek doesn't necessarily imply the same size works on the Release.

That said I think I was more worried about a slightly cramped feeling cockpit on the size L Release I demo'd than was really necessary. I think I could have made an L comfortable just by swapping in a longer stem. This would have also had the advantage of allowing me to run a longer dropper seatpost as well as saving a bit of weight.

Short summary: The Release does seem to feel a bit smaller than the Trek EX for a given frame size. Demo the bike if you can, but if you're between sizes you can probably make the smaller one fit by playing with stem length.

BTW Diamondback has a pretty good sale on Releases right now (through 4/23) if you get the corporate discount.

mtbr member

I'm 5'10", when I'm not slouching, ride a large, and had to put a longer stem on it because I felt cramped. My son is only 4'11" and he's riding a small, with 4" of post out. These run small. The medium felt like a bmx bike under me, because I ordered a Large, got a Medium in the box and had a chance to try it on for size (tiny).

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    FWIW I demo'd an EX 8 as well and felt I had a good fit in a 19.5, but still felt that the 21" XL Release fit me better than the 19" L. So size preference on the Trek doesn't necessarily imply the same size works on the Release.

That said I think I was more worried about a slightly cramped feeling cockpit on the size L Release I demo'd than was really necessary. I think I could have made an L comfortable just by swapping in a longer stem. This would have also had the advantage of allowing me to run a longer dropper seatpost as well as saving a bit of weight.

Short summary: The Release does seem to feel a bit smaller than the Trek EX for a given frame size. Demo the bike if you can, but if you're between sizes you can probably make the smaller one fit by playing with stem length.

BTW Diamondback has a pretty good sale on Releases right now (through 4/23) if you get the corporate discount.
    Thanks for the info. That's kind of what I was figuring is that it would be difficult to go with a shorter stem on the large since it's already 40mm, but I could go longer on the medium. I'm still looking for somewhere to demo but no luck so far.

I do get the corporate discount so the prices look really good right now. I was set on the 2016 Release 2 but it went OOS, so now I'm back and forth between models again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Worth mentioning that DB now seems to be recommending the L size Release for rider heights of 5'9" to 6'0". I'm pretty sure they shifted this down an inch from last year (since at 6'1" I was right in between their recommendations for the L and XL). Certainly sizing depends on more than height, but this may be DB's way of acknowledging that these bikes run a bit on the small side.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Worth mentioning that DB now seems to be recommending the L size Release for rider heights of 5'9" to 6'0". I'm pretty sure they shifted this down an inch from last year (since at 6'1" I was right in between their recommendations for the L and XL). Certainly sizing depends on more than height, but this may be DB's way of acknowledging that these bikes run a bit on the small side.
    I ordered a medium yesterday and now I'm second guessing myself based on the feedback here. I did chat with Diamondback and told them what I've ridden and they also recommended I try a medium. The reach and top tube are close to the Anthem 2, which is the bike I felt most comfortable on. I guess we'll find out Friday - fingers crossed that it fits.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Don't let me rain on your parade. Specifics of your body shape and preference matter more than a simple height guideline. Also riders on the edge between two sizes can usually make either size fit. If your Medium is close to right I bet you'll be fine with maybe the longer stem.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I ordered a medium yesterday and now I'm second guessing myself based on the feedback here. I did chat with Diamondback and told them what I've ridden and they also recommended I try a medium. The reach and top tube are close to the Anthem 2, which is the bike I felt most comfortable on. I guess we'll find out Friday - fingers crossed that it fits.
    I rode both the Anthem 2 and a Release size medium. The Anthem 2 felt just a tad shorter compared to the Release in terms of reach. My friend is 5'11 and he replaced the stem to a 50mm and handlebars with 20mm rise on his Release. He said that he can ride the large but preferred the medium due to the shorter top tube. He doesn't like going below 40mm stem because he feels that it puts his body more towards the rear of the bike. I guess it's a matter of preference. Let us know how your new bike works out for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    For the 2017 Release 3, does it have the Pike with Dual Position Air or DebonAir?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Don't let me rain on your parade. Specifics of your body shape and preference matter more than a simple height guideline. Also riders on the edge between two sizes can usually make either size fit. If your Medium is close to right I bet you'll be fine with maybe the longer stem.
    Got the bike today and probably could have gone with a large, but it's not too bad. I threw a 50mm stem on and it definitely helped, but feel like a 60mm would be even better so I'll have to pick one up. Haven't had a chance to take it for a real ride yet so that will be the true test - hopefully tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    got the bike today and probably could have gone with a large, but it's not too bad. I threw a 50mm stem on and it definitely helped, but feel like a 60mm would be even better so i'll have to pick one up. Haven't had a chance to take it for a real ride yet so that will be the true test - hopefully tomorrow.
    post photos

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Got the bike today and probably could have gone with a large, but it's not too bad. I threw a 50mm stem on and it definitely helped, but feel like a 60mm would be even better so I'll have to pick one up. Haven't had a chance to take it for a real ride yet so that will be the true test - hopefully tomorrow.
    Congrats! Definitely post some pics.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Made it out to the trail today. I still need to dial in the suspension, but it still felt pretty good. The only problem I had was with the width of the bars. The trail was tight so I clipped a lot of trees. I'll probably give it a few more tries and then decide if I want to trim the bars.

Release: Any owners yet?-20170422_111018.jpgRelease: Any owners yet?-20170422_111029.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Made it out to the trail today. I still need to dial in the suspension, but it still felt pretty good. The only problem I had was with the width of the bars. The trail was tight so I clipped a lot of trees. I'll probably give it a few more tries and then decide if I want to trim the bars.
    Bike looks great! What stem did you end up putting on it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    How did that seat feel? From here it looks like it may not have been too comfy on some sensitive areas...

ac

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I did end up adjusting the seat some but not a lot. It currently has a Race Face Aeffect 50mm on it, but I'm still planning on trying the 60mm to see how it feels.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I did end up adjusting the seat some but not a lot. It currently has a Race Face Aeffect 50mm on it, but I'm still planning on trying the 60mm to see how it feels.
    Nice. Are you planning on adding a dropper post?

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    How tall are you maninthebox? My Release should arrive tomorrow I went with the medium as well due to my current bike being a Stance 1 in medium and the dimension are good. Now I'm a little anxious over the size as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Nice. Are you planning on adding a dropper post?
    Definitely going to be my first upgrade, then tubeless.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by baseballhack View Post
    How tall are you maninthebox? My Release should arrive tomorrow I went with the medium as well due to my current bike being a Stance 1 in medium and the dimension are good. Now I'm a little anxious over the size as well.
    I'm 5'11"

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    What's everyone running for sag? I'm using the recommended 15% & 30%, but over the first couple rides it feels a little stiff so I'm probably going to try a little softer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Just as a side note, since we're talking about bike sizes: I'm 5'10 and went with a large.

Fits me great with a 125mm dropper. I may be the odd man in this situation, but it's worked well so far.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I am 5'9" and I love the fit of a large. But I tend to run lot of seatpost, so the medium felt small to me. I have a 100mm dropper from my old bike, but could use a 125 easy.

As for sag I run about 30% front and rear. I like a more plush feeling and removed the bottomless token in the fork. Seems to run more plush for me. But I don't do too many jumps, so others may find they'll blow through travel with no tokens.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Just as a side note, since we're talking about bike sizes: I'm 5'10 and went with a large.

Fits me great with a 125mm dropper. I may be the odd man in this situation, but it's worked well so far.
    I'm 5'11" and ordered a large. I had much concern over the 150mm dropper. The rest of the bike fits PERFECT. I have the dropper buried in the seat tube down to the collar and it's JUST right for me. I had thoughts of cutting the seat tube if I needed to.

ac

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    From the pic it looks like maninthebox is showing plenty of exposed seat post length to run a 150mm dropper (one of the advantages of going with the smaller size Release when on the border between two sizes). I went the other way and got an XL. The reach is just right for me, but I have a relatively short 33-34" inseam compared with the big 21" seat tube on the XL. I end up with about 6.5" of seat post showing above the bracket. This let me run a 100mm dropper with about 5/8" clearance between the seat tube and seat post collar. If I'd gone with the 19" L I'd have fit a 150mm no problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hey Stepford, how tall are you? I am 6 feet tall with a 33.5 inseam and am wondering if I should go for a large or an extra large.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I'm 6'1" with the same inseam. The size L (19) Release I test rode felt OK, but a bit cramped. At 6' even you're right on the edge and could probably fit OK on either the L or XL (though like maninthbox, might need to fiddle a bit with stem length on the L). A test ride on one or both sizes would be best if you can find a shop that has them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    New headache. I was servicing the swingarm pivots, just cleaning them out as part of a search for a creak as well. All went smoothly until I got to the top pivot, the one that swings linked to the shock. Removing the thru axle was rough and once removed, it looked like it was cross threaded a bit or the threads were not perfect when installed at the factory. So now it will not reinstall. Trying to do so made it worse!
    So I will take the bike into the shop tomorrow to see if they can fix it. Do you think they can clean up the threads or should I contact DB for a replacement ?

I think this was source of the creak by the way as it persisted until I got to that pivot point. I checked everything else (BB, chainring, rear hub)

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Is the threaded piece that's damaged the rear triangle, the linkage or the front triangle? Do you know if all these parts are Aluminum or is there some kind of threaded steel insert.

Threads with minor damage can often be cleaned up. Just make sure that afterwards the part can be torqued to spec without any hint of "easing up" (i.e. stripping). If so I'd just ride it and try not to worry about it. If the LBS says the thread damage was extensive, though, I'd probably look into a replacement part from DB.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    The threads in the rear triangle seem fine. The part that it damaged is the axel that goes through the upper linkage, connecting the rear triangle to the shock.I have not touched the upper pivot that connects to the front triangle. My magnet of truth suggests everything is aluminum.
    Hopefully they can clean it up. I'll remind the shop that according to the DB video, the torque should be 8 n/m or about 5 ft/lbs.

EDIT I think I was half asleep when I posted this. The issue is actually on the upper pivot of the linkage where it goes through the front triangle.
    Last edited by Darth Pinche; 05-06-2017 at 07:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Hi all,

Is there a big difference between a 30t vs 32t chain ring? Do I need to get a longer chain if decided to do this?

The DB release comes with a 30t chain ring and was just wondering if I needed a longer chain if I decided to get new cranks which comes with 32t chain ring.

Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Well, the shop said they cannot fix the axel/bolt and suggested I contact Diamondback for a replacement. They said they were not contracted with DB so I need go through DB directly. They said DB may suggest a replacement linkage due to the damage. Tomorrow I will take photos and contact DB support to see what they say. I think it was messed up at the factory so hopefully they will treat it as a warrantee issue.

Lesson : if its not broke, don't fix it. Ha ha, I was just doing the regular maintenance as posted in the DB video.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Hi all,

Is there a big difference between a 30t vs 32t chain ring? Do I need to get a longer chain if decided to do this?

The DB release comes with a 30t chain ring and was just wondering if I needed a longer chain if I decided to get new cranks which comes with 32t chain ring.

Thanks for the help.
    You should be fine, 2t difference shouldnt be too much. That being said, you may be able to swap the 30t chainring to the new cranks, depending on the mount type.

Also, be sure that your new cranks fit your current BB or else you'll need a new BB.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Since we were talking about frame components, does anyone know if the Catch and Release share a front triangle and differ only in rear triangle, fork and wheels. Looking at the dimensions on the DB site it seems like this is the case (and it would certainly be to DB's advantage from a production standpoint), but I'm not sure if I'm missing something.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    You should be fine, 2t difference shouldnt be too much. That being said, you may be able to swap the 30t chainring to the new cranks, depending on the mount type. Also, be sure that your new cranks fit your current BB or else you'll need a new BB.
    Thanks for the reply dadasmithywinkle. The cranks that came with my Release is the SRAM NX crank 30T. It's working fine right now but just in case I needed to replace it. It's good to know that the extra 2T will be ok with the current chain length the bike came with. I saw the picture of your bike you posted in the other thread. I have the same bike! (Performance Ex mostly stock) . You have a lot of high end parts installed on the bike now I'm sure it performs even better. I get a lot of compliments on the bike when I'm out riding on the trails. They love the blue and gray color scheme. Most of the bikes I see on the trail are mostly black so my Diamond Back stands out . I love how the bike handles specially on the descents.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Update on my pivot axel bolt issue, Diamondback contacted me today and they are sending me a new pivot bolt in the mail today! Gotta love their fast and great customer service! They think, and I agree, that the shop can clean the threads on the linkage. Most of the damage in on the bolt.
    In the meantime I've been riding my old 29er hardtail. Oh man, it feels so twitchy, The Release is just so confidence inspiring.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Finally done upgrading my release 2

Parts:

Fox 36 Fit 4 160mm
    Float x
    mercury x3 wheel set
    e13 9-46 cassette (larger gear range then eagle in a 1x11)
    Turbine dropper
    Raceface Chester Pedals
    Raceface atlas 35mm bars
    Fi'zi:k Aliante saddle
    Vittoria Morsa 2.5in tires
    Race Face Narrow Wide Cinch Direct Mount Chainring 32T

Everything else stock. Lets just say this thing is an absolute monster. Couldn't be happier after my first few rides. Utilizing VPP means they have smart suspension. Literally put the most basic suspension tune and this bike feels incredible. Well worth the effort sourcing these parts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Release: Any owners yet?-release.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I am thinking about picking up a 17 Release 3, but I am not sure what size to go with. I currently ride an 09 Kona Five-O Deluxe in a L (18") with a 60mm stem. It may be a little bit on the small side for long rides, but I like the size for All-mountain/freeride activities. I have ridden a 13 Kona Shred L (20") and I felt too stretched out and not very confident when doing technical stuff.

I am 6' 2-3"

Let me know what you guys think.

KONA 2009 - Five-O Deluxe
    KONAWORLD

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Since DB recommends the XL Release for heights of 6'0' - 6'4" you're nominally a clear XL on this bike- but everybody is different. Do you have long legs and a short torso? It's possible then you could prefer the shorter reach of the L (but for most guys your height I'd really be thinking XL). Any way you can test ride one?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Since DB recommends the XL Release for heights of 6'0' - 6'4" you're nominally a clear XL on this bike- but everybody is different. Do you have long legs and a short torso? It's possible then you could prefer the shorter reach of the L (but for most guys your height I'd really be thinking XL). Any way you can test ride one?
    I have a 34-34.5" inseam.

I have no way of going for a test ride. I have considered ordering a large and an extra larger and returning one but that is if I am still unsure if XL is the way to go.
    Last edited by TermiLVR7; 05-19-2017 at 09:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Your inseam is an inch longer than mine and you're 1-2 inches taller than I am so your torso's at least as log as mine. I do feel more comfortable on the 21" Release than on the 19" (L) I test rode, but I believe I could have made the 19 work for me with a longer stem. Some folks between sizes prefer a smaller frame and this kind of adjustment. Again, if i had to pick I would think you'd fit a bit better on the 21, but it comes down to personal preference. Sorry I can't be any more definite than that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Get the XL. I'm 5'11" on a "tall" day and I ride an L. It fits great, but the minimum seat height is just barely perfect for me. With the bottom of the dropper buried down to the seat tube I'm at perfect pedaling height. Any obstacles (log over, rock garden, etc) and I usually bump the dropper lever to lower the seat a tad.

Reach feels great and the bike is an absolute monster with the seat dropped descending. I would definitely think an XL would fit you better. I wouldn't want a longer stem, to me that would defeat some of the intent behind the engineering.

ac

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    So it appears my Sram Guide RS brakes didn't like being left alone over the winter. They are now "sticky". The levers aren't returning, the brakes have no feel and are pretty much on/off.

I contacted DB customer service. Unfortunately SRAM only honors warranties through approved LBS's. All of mine locally are too stuck up to support a DB. I just ordered replacement internals for both levers for $25. Hopefully the home rebuild goes well and resolves the issue. These brakes were some of the best I ever felt previously.

ac

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    That sucks, I have read the RS Warranty thread and have been waiting for mine to fail. I love the Guide brakes I have a set of Shimano XT M785s I took off my old bike on standby just in case. I love the guides feel and smoothness compared to the shimano's.

Quote Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
    So it appears my Sram Guide RS brakes didn't like being left alone over the winter. They are now "sticky". The levers aren't returning, the brakes have no feel and are pretty much on/off.

I contacted DB customer service. Unfortunately SRAM only honors warranties through approved LBS's. All of mine locally are too stuck up to support a DB. I just ordered replacement internals for both levers for $25. Hopefully the home rebuild goes well and resolves the issue. These brakes were some of the best I ever felt previously.

ac

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Get the XL. I'm 5'11" on a "tall" day and I ride an L. It fits great, but the minimum seat height is just barely perfect for me. With the bottom of the dropper buried down to the seat tube I'm at perfect pedaling height. Any obstacles (log over, rock garden, etc) and I usually bump the dropper lever to lower the seat a tad.

Reach feels great and the bike is an absolute monster with the seat dropped descending. I would definitely think an XL would fit you better. I wouldn't want a longer stem, to me that would defeat some of the intent behind the engineering.

ac
    Stepford & avc8130

What type/style of riding do you do?

I am a little more aggressive and like to jump things, so a little smaller bike makes that easier. That's the only reason I am considering a large vs extra large.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TermiLVR7 View Post
    Stepford & avc8130

I am a little more aggressive and like to jump things, so a little smaller bike makes that easier. That's the only reason I am considering a large vs extra large.

I'm not sure I have a "style". I ride NJ woods. Mostly singletrack, lots of root/rock with generally short and punchy climbs followed by short and fast downhills. I like to hop stuff, but I wouldn't say "jumping" is a centerpiece of my riding.

ac

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Another reference point, I'm 6'2", and were pants with a 34" inseam. (Note, inseam is kinda a crappy reference because a lot depends on how much "drop" there is between the waist and start of inseam on pants.) Point being, I've got long legs.

I have an XL and have the stock seatpost maxed out (i.e. at minimum insertion) for the correct position. I couldn't make an L work w/o having a lot of drop between saddle and bars.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I'm in the same boat with the DB5s the 2016 Release 2 came with. Rear brake doesn't come back out at all. Trying to decide between the rebuild kit like you did, or just buying a complete set of Shimano and be done with it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Stepford & avc8130

I'm just an older rider mostly on intermediate trails in Southern CA. Lots of climbing in the saddle (why the suspension geometry of the Release appealed to me). Lots of rocky terrain, but not much jumping per se.

A word on seatpost length. With a 33.5 inseam at 6'1" I guess I have a bit shorter legs than jmeb, because I seem to have less seatpost showing than him. As you can see I have slightly less than 7" from the seat tube clamp to the saddle rail. This would give me just barely enough room to run a 125mm dropper (though I wasn't sure of that, so I got the 100mm e30i shown to be safe). This is good enough for me, but maybe someone more into downhill and jumps might want to get the seat lower than I can in my setup.

Release: Any owners yet?-34851774165_585bc2edda_b.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I must be a giraffe hybrid. I am 5'9" and run my seatpost with 9 inches showing from clamp to seat rails. I also have a 100mm dropper but my next one will be a 125 at least. Frame size L FWIW.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pinche View Post
    I must be a giraffe hybrid. I am 5'9" and run my seatpost with 9 inches showing from clamp to seat rails. I also have a 100mm dropper but my next one will be a 125 at least. Frame size L FWIW.
    Seriously you must have some long legs. On my large with 30" pant/ 32" bike inseam I run my 150mm dropper post collar to clamp. It's perfect climbing height at full extension but any technical sections and I drop it a bit. Downhills I slam it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Here is my photo:
    Name:  edgrimley.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  12.6 KB

Yeah I asked my wife if she thought I had long legs for my height and she said "yeah, it was one of the first thing I noticed about you"

I was glad I tried the bike out, as the medium was too short for me.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    XL release riders

What does the scale say?

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    You mean the scale that broke when I put my bike on it

On my bathroom scale the XL Release 1 was 34.5 lbs. totally stock, and about a pound more when I changed saddles and added a dropper. DB doesn't publish the weights for the Release, but REI did last year and the Release 3 was about 2 lbs. lighter than the 1, with the "average" size Release 3 a bit under 31 lbs. So my best guess would be 32.5 lbs or so for an XL Release 3 and something between 31.5 and 32 for the L. This is with tubes still in the tires and everything stock. I don't know of any XL Release 3 owners that post here, but there are several folks with size L who might be able to give a more accurate weight than my guesstimate.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    You mean the scale that broke when I put my bike on it

On my bathroom scale the XL Release 1 was 34.5 lbs. totally stock, and about a pound more when I changed saddles and added a dropper. DB doesn't publish the weights for the Release, but REI did last year and the Release 3 was about 2 lbs. lighter than the 1, with the "average" size Release 3 a bit under 31 lbs. So my best guess would be 32.5 lbs or so for an XL Release 3 and something between 31.5 and 32 for the L. This is with tubes still in the tires and everything stock. I don't know of any XL Release 3 owners that post here, but there are several folks with size L who might be able to give a more accurate weight than my guesstimate.
    If you don't mind, could you measure the height from the top of the seat to the ground when the seat post is in its lowest position?

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    If you don't mind, could you measure the height from the top of the seat to the ground when the seat post is in its lowest position?
    Measurement to the ground depends on sag so I also measured to crank center.

For size 21" Release:

Crank center to saddle top (dropper at full extension): 30"
    Crank center to saddle top (dropper fully dropped): 26"

(not surprising for a 100mm dropper. If I put a 125mm dropper in it would go down to 25" and with a standard seatpost with no collar it'll get down to 24)

Distance from saddle top to ground unloaded: 38.75"
    Distance from saddle top to ground at full static load (35% sag): ~37"

Both these measurements are done with the 100mm dropper fully dropped as requested. Add 4" to get distance at full extension.

(note that this last distance at full sag is approximate because my butt is in the way of the tape measure - I'll leave you with that cheery image).

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Measurement to the ground depends on sag so I also measured to crank center.

For size 21" Release:

Crank center to saddle top (dropper at full extension): 30"
    Crank center to saddle top (dropper fully dropped): 26"

(not surprising for a 100mm dropper. If I put a 125mm dropper in it would go down to 25" and with a standard seatpost with no collar it'll get down to 24)

Distance from saddle top to ground unloaded: 38.75"
    Distance from saddle top to ground at full static load (35% sag): ~37"

Both these measurements are done with the 100mm dropper fully dropped as requested. Add 4" to get distance at full extension.

(note that this last distance at full sag is approximate because my butt is in the way of the tape measure - I'll leave you with that cheery image).
    Thanks!

Just did some measurements. An XL frame with a 150mm driver post might be a little high for me 125mm might be ok. I just noticed diamondback changed the L/XL size threshold to 6'2" on their website.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017

2.4 tire in front?

Has anyone tried to run a 27.5 x 2.4 tire in the front? Does it fit?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew9696 View Post
    Has anyone tried to run a 27.5 x 2.4 tire in the front? Does it fit?
    I run a 2.4 Conti Der Baron on my front. Fit fine with the standard 100 fork that thebike came with, fits fine with my boost fork. 2.4 fits the rear too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I have the opportunity to purchase a 2016 Stumpjumper FSR 27.5 for slightly less than a 2017 Release 3 (at corp discount). I love the SJ, but have not had any luck finding a release 3 to demo. The reviews for the R3 seem great, but I am having a hard time getting my head around buying a bike without putting my butt in the saddle... Any thoughts would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Bart View Post
    I have the opportunity to purchase a 2016 Stumpjumper FSR 27.5 for slightly less than a 2017 Release 3 (at corp discount). I love the SJ, but have not had any luck finding a release 3 to demo. The reviews for the R3 seem great, but I am having a hard time getting my head around buying a bike without putting my butt in the saddle... Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    You probably won't find an R3, but REI carries the Release in major markets.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Before I ordered my 2016 R1 w/corp. discount about a month ago, I was lucky and able to get my hands on a 2017 R1 at the REI in McLean, VA. They had a Med and Lrg in stock.
    I got to try out both to see what size I should go with; I'm right in between the two sizes, and chose the Med since I prefer a smaller frame for technical downhill sections.
    It was a 2hr round trip for me, but I was happy to have been able to try it out.
    I went with the 2016 since I didn't care much for the black/red color scheme of the 2017 R1.
    Last edited by omury2k; 06-12-2017 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Fix misspelled word

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Well my 2016 Release 3 is officially at the LBS for SRAM Guide RS warranty brake lever replacement. Both front and rear have become sticky. They said I'd be down about a week but SRAM has been very good about getting them parts and covering the labor.

ac

mtbr member
    Well my 2016 Release 3 is officially at the LBS for SRAM Guide RS warranty brake lever replacement. Both front and rear have become sticky. They said I'd be down about a week but SRAM has been very good about getting them parts and covering the labor.

ac
    Just got my Guide RS's from my wife's Release 3 and the guides R's from my Catch 2 back from warranty today - total cost from LBS was $17.50 for shipping - Sram replaced the master cylinder internals and hoses on both sets.

I'm keeping the XT's on both bikes, will put the RS's on my son's Release 1 to upgrade the lifeless Level brakes that came stock on it.

I really hope these are fixed once and for all, but I've had Sram brakes before and my expectations are really, really low.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm considering just throwing them straight on Ebay once I get them back and replacing them with XT's.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast