mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Release 1 XD Hub Upgrade

Just curious, I currently have a Release 1. Say down the road I wanted to go 12 speed or SRAM 11 speed and needed to upgrade my rear wheel from a Shimano style hub to XD...what does this take? Are there adapters or do I need to install a new hub and re-spoke the rear wheel?

Dave's not here.
    Good question. I was actually wondering about this as well for my Catch 1. I believe I read it has they have Novatec hubs. What the exact model is, I don't know. I hope it's as simple as swapping out the driver rather than replacing the entire hub.
    Yo no hablo inglÚs

mtbr member
    The hub on my Release 3 appears to be the same hub as what's on my son's Release 1. I believe its just a case of swapping out the freehub bodies, but I would verify the hub with DB first, and then contact Novatec to purchase an XD driver. There are a lot of minor but crucial differences between the freehub bodies offered by Novatec, and I KNOW that there are at least 2 different XD drivers they have, based on a spacing bushing difference between the stock and a warranty replacement XD freehub.

All that being said, Novatec is a total pain in the a$$ to deal with, and these hubs suck. If feasible, have someone lace in a new hub and be done with the Novatec garbage.

I am phasing out all Novatec hubs on our fleet of Fatbikes and all 3 of our Diamondback level link bikes....they suck that bad.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    just curious on what are you going to replace the novatec hubs with and if that's a difficult job. thanks!

mtbr member
    $ for $, the DT swiss 350's are hard to beat. Just flat out bomber, cheap, super dependable, solid hubs. For a few $ less, there are a lot of people out there, myself included, that have had great success with Bike Hub store hubs.

Spending any money to upgrade or covert the novatec's is just putting good money after bad.

To illustrate, my 10 year old broke the stock Novatec freehub on his Relase 1 within the first 50 miles.
    I would advise not taking my advice.