mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Rear shock using too much travel?

Has anybody expierenced their rear shock Fox RP23 on using all of its travel after riding for awhile? I'm still dialing but running psi between 200-230psi (My weight fluxs between 190 and 205) and have noticed that after longer rides the shock feels like it's squatting down really far and makes the bike feel smaller. The o ring will be down at the bottom of the shock. At the beginning of the ride it's fine and o ring is where it should be.

Have it serviced and problem solved?

11' DB M2
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus
    '11 Specialized 29r EVO ht
    '11 DB Mission 2 w/Fox 36

bab74 on GORC

Singletrack Slayer
    Sounds like you might do a simple Air can service. New seals and some fresh Float Fluid.
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

More Riding Less Internet
    Are you riding when it's cold out? Don't forget the oil heats up A LOT when being pushed through the shock. If it's cold it will feel much stiffer at the begining of a ride.

-KT
    Diamondback Development Force.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

rp23 mod

i also have this problem, i believe this is because of the air sleeve of the rp23 BV. you might want to consider DW 5 Spot RP23 mod so far i haven't tried it

LightJunction.com
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidNeiles View Post
    Sounds like you might do a simple Air can service. New seals and some fresh Float Fluid.
    Not a bad idea. I've had this problem too, but I too am riding when it's cold out. Could also be an oil issue. Time to troubleshoot...
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

Let the good times roll.
    Another tip: Check air pressure after the shock has been out in the cold for a while. A shock pumped indoors at 70 degrees will drop 10-15 psi on a sub-freezing winter day. I figured that out last winter after wondering why my bike climbed like crap on really cold mornings.

I doubt it's the high volume air sleeve. I've had issues with bottoming other shocks on the Mission including the HV DHX Air, but the stock RP23 BV on my 2010 had excellent bottom out resistance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Haven't ridden it since my last post with the freeze/thaw effect we got going on. Gonna take take it in to get serviced and will report back. It always seems stiffer and the beginning of the ride and within a couple hours or less it's much softer. I'll bring my shock pump on my next ride when it's cold out

Thanks all....
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus
    '11 Specialized 29r EVO ht
    '11 DB Mission 2 w/Fox 36

bab74 on GORC