mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Rear Disc On Xr4. How To??

I've Got An Xr-4 That I'm Trying To Put Avid Mechanicals On. I Always Though The Frame Was Set Up For International Standard But This Is A Huge Problem To Attach The Caliper To The Frame. Is There An Adapter?

Slow and steady
    Jan 2004

If it can be done, it isn't easy, that is for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by sipman
    I've Got An Xr-4 That I'm Trying To Put Avid Mechanicals On. I Always Though The Frame Was Set Up For International Standard But This Is A Huge Problem To Attach The Caliper To The Frame. Is There An Adapter?
    I assume you're working on a 1999 frame, the 1999 has the annoying mount _inside_ the rear triangle so the caliper has to be really small to fit. In 2000, they went with an above-the seat-stay mount that will work with any disc brake.

On my 1999 I've never been able to make one work, although I suspect a Magura Marta or Hope-mini with a 145 rotor or maybe the 160 would work. So far I've tried Hayes w/ 185 avid mount, Grimeca System 8, Hope M4 and none of those fit. Of course, those are all big-ish brakes, so I'm not too surprised.

Right now I have a Hope M4 185mm in front and an Avid Speed Dial 7 on the back with a cheapy Topo brake booster. The brake booster helped more than I thought it would and overall the feel is pretty balanced front-to-back.

I've been wanting to try an Avid disc, but haven't been brave enough to experiment. Let me know if you get it working.

Stand back

luckily, mine was a '00

Quote Originally Posted by Tony
    I assume you're working on a 1999 frame, the 1999 has the annoying mount _inside_ the rear triangle so the caliper has to be really small to fit. In 2000, they went with an above-the seat-stay mount that will work with any disc brake.
    No trouble mounting the disc:
    Attached Images Attached Images