mtbr member

Rear Disc Brake Question On A 1999 DBR X2

Hey Guys & Girls,

This is my first post so hello to everyone! I hope I can get some assistance from you fine bunch of bikers! (Never hurts to butter up the perspective helpers...) Anyway, I have a almost brand-new 1999 Diamondback DBR X2 which I bought on 5/19/99! I rode it a bit back then but never got serious. Well, now that I'm almost 37 and weigh 320 lbs my outlook on moutain biking has changed! I want to run disc brakes on the bike and luckily it came with bosses for discs on the fork and the rear triangle. I bought some Avid BB5 mechanical brakes and a WTB wheelset with the hopes of upgrading my bike at a low cost. I got the BB5 brake and new wheel installed on the front tonight, (needs some more adjustment, but it is going to work great!), but I think I am going to have a big problem trying to get somehting to work on the rear. The bosses for the brake adapter are INSIDE the triangle near the end and not on top of the outside of the triangle. From what I can tell, the adpater might fit into the bosses but there is no room for the brake to fit due to the limited room in the "corner" of the triangle.

I hope some of you old-school DBR guys and girls can be of some assistance. I want to run the discs and the cool black wheelset I bought, so please help if possible! Thanks in advance for any and all assistance! Hope you all have a great week!

MODS - If you don't mind I am going to post this in other areas of the forum to expand my audience. Thank you in advance for you understanding, but if it isn't cool no problem!

John Galt
    I think some of those came with Forumla disc brakes of a specific size that's not easy to find now. I have heard (here on MTBR) that it's possible to mount a Hope Mini std. front caliper for the rear, using a 165mm rotor. You may find more info Googling the X-2, X-6 and X-10, as I believe they all have the same disc mount. See the X-10 photo here (http://www.geocities.com/cegrover/Di...99_DBR-X10.jpg) and note where the caliper is mounted. I believe that mount type/location was also used on the Schwinn Rocket 88; so you might something out searching for info on that frame.

Bad news is that the brakes you already have may not work. Good news is there is likely a solution out there.

mtbr member
    I was thinking of having bosses welded on to the outside of the trianlge so the brakes I have will work and if I wanted to upgrade in the future to juice brakes that would make it eaiser also. What do you guys think of that solution? Thanks for the info; I am going to call Diamondback and see if they still have the setup that was offered on the X10 - I doubt they will but it's worth a try!

John Galt
    I agree it's worth a try, but I called a few years ago looking for bushings or a rear triangle for my V-Link and was told that the current DB has no info or parts for the 'old' DB's (previous ownership's) bikes.

I've always heard you can't weld to aluminum, but your mileage may vary. It's possible an A2Z adapter will fit - I've seen photos of them on V-link and V-bike frames - just not sure about an X-bike.

RIP Friendgirl

Question

I've owned a 1999 X2 & still have 2 1999 X6's & think i can help with your dilemma. First off I'd like to know if you still have the original Z3LT fork on the bike & how did you fit the avid on it?

mtbr member
    PM sent to Bordershy - Thanks for the help!

About the Avid... I was checking it out this afternnon and realized that I only have about 1/4 of the pad on the rotor... The mount seems to orient the caliper backwards from the direction it should go (I hope this is making sense to everyone), and the caliper is off the rotor too far. It does fuction, but I would prefer that it function 100% correctly and not be a rigged up mess! I thought about fabricationg a custom mount, but I am starting to feel like I am spinning my wheels with trying to make the older stuff work with the new stuff. I could always upgrade to a new fork but I want to use the stuff I have since it is pretty much in new condition. And before anyone suggests it, I know I can always defer back to the trusty V-brake setup that was on the bike just yesterday, working just fine, but then I would be the proud owner of a disc brake wheel set and some mechanical brakes that I can't use...

Does anyone feel sorry for me yet?

John Galt
    Sounds familiar - I contemplated lots of solutions when I decided I wanted discs for either the V-Link or V6, and I just ended up getting a new (to me) frame. My disc excuse was that I'd moved from dry Socal to wetter TN and noticed the lack of brake performance after creek crossings...

Do you have any photos of the X-2?

mtbr member
    Hey Guys,

For anyone who cares about the current X2 Disc Brake Saga, Bordershy is going to hook me up with a Formula brake package from one of his old bikes. The only thing missing is the adapter for the fork but I hope I can fabricate one from aluminum that will work. Bordershy's help will greatly reduce the potential headache and strain to the wallet I was surely going to feel! And having a proprietary system on the bike will surely work better and I'll feel better about the setup rather than rigging up a bunch of mess and hoping it would work. Thanks again Bordershy!

mtbr member

Pic Of The Beast!

Hey Guys,

As requested, here are a couple pics of my bike in it's current state. Bordershy has shipped the brakes and they will go on when they arrive. I'll post more pics after the disc wheel set and brakes are installed. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I know this is an old thread but did you ever get a disc brake set up on the rear of the dbr x2?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nashwillis View Post
    I know this is an old thread but did you ever get a disc brake set up on the rear of the dbr x2?
    Wow! This was a big dig into the archives! Yes, I did run the Formula disc setup on both ends and they worked just fine with just a bit of modification to the frame bosses so I could fit the caliper mounts to them. All I had to do was drill out the boss so it would accommodate the spacing for the bracket.

I ran the bike that way for a bit but then came to my senses, sold the bike and upgraded to a Kona Unit which has and will continue to serve me well for a while!