Thread: PSA: Pivots

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

PSA: Pivots

I was doing this anyway, but Diamondback says to disassembly the rear assembly without rear wheel on and the shock/chain unhooked from the assembly.

But mallets shouldn't be used.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Hah.. its a defect in the bolt or improperly seated bearings, atleast in my case it is. You can't get the bolt thru the bearings without a mallet or some sort of press. The bolt gets hung up and mallet required.

You can see resistance marks on the actual bolt where it binds up. Even bypassing the linkage entirely it still gets hung up on the bearings. Its a joke, especially on something that needs to be serviced potentially several times a year.

They must use some sort of hydraulic automated press at that factory to quickly put these in, otherwise anyone with common sense would have seen the issue and it would have been resolved before mass producing these batches..

I did the upper one, lucky went back in and threaded properly, but had to tap that sucker with a mallet. As far as I know the rear only has a 1 year warranty I had a squeak in the upper so checked it as directed by my customer service rep.

My experience was nothing like whats shown in the DB "Maintaining your level link pivots" video.

They should just slap a zerk fitting on these and problem solved.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by tw!stedAxle View Post
    Hah.. its a defect in the bolt or improperly seated bearings, atleast in my case it is. You can't get the bolt thru the bearings without a mallet or some sort of press. The bolt gets hung up and mallet required.

You can see resistance marks on the actual bolt where it binds up. Even bypassing the linkage entirely it still gets hung up on the bearings. Its a joke, especially on something that needs to be serviced potentially several times a year.

They must use some sort of hydraulic automated press at that factory to quickly put these in, otherwise anyone with common sense would have seen the issue and it would have been resolved before mass producing these batches..

I did the upper one, lucky went back in and threaded properly, but had to tap that sucker with a mallet. As far as I know the rear only has a 1 year warranty I had a squeak in the upper so checked it as directed by my customer service rep.

My experience was nothing like whats shown in the DB "Maintaining your level link pivots" video.

They should just slap a zerk fitting on these and problem solved.
    I would love a zerk but the other problem is the upper pivot is actually exposed to water grit and grime near the seat tube. so that also doesn't help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DGrothen View Post
    I would love a zerk but the other problem is the upper pivot is actually exposed to water grit and grime near the seat tube. so that also doesn't help.
    Noticed that when playing with my pivots. Have been thinking of adding an additional spacer or seal to help keep water and grim away from the bearings. I will have to wait a couple weeks before I can tackle it.