mtb guide

problems putting xt crankset on '11 mission 3

I'm trying to replace the hammerschmidt with an XT 3x10 crankset on a 2011 Mission 3. I replaced hammerschmidt BB with the XT BB, but when I put the crankset in, I can't get the spindle to reach all the way through. Its like is just barely too short. The driveside of the crankset appears to be flush with the BB, so I'm at a loss. Has anyone else replaced their Hammerschmidt with something else and did you have any problems?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    That crank should fit any frame with the spacers supplied, 68 to 73. Nothing special about the mission frame. I put a new LX crank on my hard tail and was surprised at how tight you have to push the crank on to the BB to get it to seat. The spacers adjust the BB for 68 or 73 width or to tweak the chain line. Try pressing the crank on harder; it might take a tap with a rubber mallet. The Granny gear should be well on top of the BB cup; it seats deep inside the crank.

mtb guide
    Problem figured out! Apparently, while I wasn't looking, my buddy stuck my XT crankset through his chris king road BB and pulled out a spacer with it. So this spacer was pretty well stuck on my crankset spindle and I thought it had always been there. All good now!