Post pictures of your DiamondBack

499K views 1K replies 479 participants last post by  dongskie2 
#1 ·
Everyone post pictures of your DimaondBack

Attachments

See less See more
#30 ·
Diamondback XSL frame
Stratos Helix Expert rear shock (progressive coil-over with air assist)
Manitou Sherman Firefly fork custom tuned - RTWD II travel adjust TPC+ dampeners
Azonic Shorty Stem
Azonic Headlock
Hayes HFX 9 disc brakes
Hand laced Alex wheels
XTR rear derailleur
XTR cassette
SRAM PC-99 chain
Ritchey seatpost
Raceface Prodigy DH cranks

Shop scale says she weighs in at 33 pounds.

Picture is pretty recent, but have added qutie a few parts since then.

#36 ·
My diamondback... slightly modified

I bought this bike in 2000, and its been love ever since, the only thing stock left on it is the seat clamp, and the grips. I beat the crap out of this bike, but i also maintain it very well. I'd say it rides as good as the day i bought it, but after $2000+ worth of upgrades and almost 6 years of fine tuning, it rides 1000 times better than the day i bought it. some of the component highlights are the Raceface Next LP crankset, the Cloud nine rear shock (which i custom fitted to the frame myself) the hand made mavic wheels, (which i also made) with DT swiss Huggi 240 disc hubs, its full shimano XT, and has thomson elite stem/ seatpost.

Since i've owned this bike, its gone through 4 sets of wheels, 3 forks, 3 sets of rear brakes, 4 sets of tires, 4 saddles, 3 stems, 5 sets of pedals, 4 chains, and alot of money, she's a gold digger. :cool:

Attachments

#37 ·
lizardx said:
The back end is a bit wobbly now, but its probably got another year or two in it.

If the pivots are wobbly, you can put many more years on the bike if you either, get new bushings for the rear, you can get a kit from diamondback that includes the links, and all new bushings for about $40, also try using locktite on the threads of the links, i have routinely maintained the 4bar linkage of my x-link for 6 years, and its stiffer than any full suspension bike ive ever ridden. I dont plan on getting a new frame until mine cracks, and considering what i've put that bike through i dont think thats happening any time soon.

#38 ·
jhazard said:

I never have luck posting images, so I'm sure this wont be visible to anyone else, the link is
https://www.pbase.com/image/26710037/original

Just curious, if anyone knows: Is the XTS series comperable in weight to bikes by other manufactures in the same "class" ? I may not have bought mine if I'd known how heavy this mother was beforehand. But, I love it now and wouldn't trade it away...
any other frame of the same strength and travel is going to weigh about the same. you can make them pretty light, when i used to race XC mine wieghed about 27lbs. i've built it up to more of an all mountain bike now, so its pushing 30, but its alot more versitile now, hasnt seemed to slow me down at all.

#46 ·
Here's my late 80's early 90's DB

It was my father-in-laws bike until I took it. I added the x-tra long seatpost and stem extention. I also put toe clips on it. I used to be my commuter with full fenders but I started riding x-country last fall and tor all of the extra weight off. Now that i have a new Raleigh Ram 4.0, I am going to reconfigure it as a commuter.

This was a great, reliable, bullet-proof bike.

Attachments

#47 ·
Here's my '01 Apex. This frame was my first good mountain bike, bought it when I came to college, not stock by any means, but rebuilt with nicer stuff. I stripped this frame December '04 to build up an AC1, but held on to the frame, hoping to build it back as a second bike/HT play bike someday. Then sold the AC for a Stumpjumper FSR when I started racing XC. So I've had the stumpjumper for almost a year now, and here we are two days before I'm supposed to ride the Ouachita Challenge, and I find that the link on my FSR is broken almost in two. So I stripped the FSR this afternoon and built the Apex back up for it's re-inauguration ride: 62 miles through the Ozarks.

#48 ·
Vintage Diamond Back MTBs

Well not quite vintage vintage......

First one is a '93 Axis, True Temper Ox double butted tubing, XT thumbshifters, Avid Ti V-brakes and all XT running gear (derailleurs, hubs, BB and cranks) and a 2003 Duke SL fork.

Second one is '96 DBR Axis, Richey Logic Prestige tubing, Avid Ti V-brakes, 2003 Marzocchi Marathon S forks, XT hubs, shifters and derailleurs, Raceface crankset & BB and a fresh set of Maxxis Medusa tyres. Both have Syncros seatposts and one with a Flite seat and the other with a Vetta seat.

Love those steel frames and great to see Diamond Back have a following and are quite well regarded. First one has probably covered 11000km and the second about 4500km and are ridden regularly, if I don't get out 4 times per week I'm not happy!

Attachments