499K views 1K replies 479 participants last post by  dongskie2 
#1 ·
Everyone post pictures of your DimaondBack

Attachments

See less See more
#406 ·
My first Diamondback bike!

'09 Mission one

I've had it less than a week and I am dying to get out and ride it.

Does any one have experience with the sun ditch witch wheels that came stock on this bike. Can they handle drops 5-6 feet?

#408 ·
grantw9066 said:
My first Diamondback bike!

'09 Mission one

I've had it less than a week and I am dying to get out and ride it.

Does any one have experience with the sun ditch witch wheels that came stock on this bike. Can they handle drops 5-6 feet?
Your wheels should be OK for a while if they are tensioned properly, and you stick to drops with decent transitions, and you're a smooth rider. But, that kind of riding will eventually make any wheel not specifically designed for FR or DH fail. Keep in mind that all it takes is one bad landing to kill even a very strong wheel.

I think it's fair to say that you should be prepared to spend money on fixing stuff if you do drops and jumps on a regular basis.

Not that I'm discouraging it or anything:D.

Attachments

#410 ·
I know how to tension spokes, and I've done it a couple times. It's pretty easy; just need a spoke wrench and tension meter. I've been letting my shop take care of it for now though. That's just because I haven't invested in the necessary tools yet (a spoke tension meter costs ~$60). I've been too busy getting upgrades:D.

Anyways, proper spoke tension depends on the rim. It looks like Sun recommends 110 kg max.

http://www.sun-ringle.com/support/

My rims require 100kg, so I try to keep them around there. Too tight will cause the rim to crack. Too loose causes all kinds of trouble. So if you let a shop work on your wheels, make sure they check the tension as well as true them.

#429 ·
My Overdrive. Nothing stock on here except the frame. I really love this bike, and it has taken the place of my Sortie 3 as my primary ride.

Easton Ea50 bars, stem and seatpost
Cane Creek 110 IS headset
RockShox Tora Solo Air set to 80mm travel
WTB Silverado Seat
Lizard Skins Northshore lock-on grips with Cane Creek Ergo Bar Ends
LX cranks, XT rear derailleur setup as a 1X9 with a BBg bash guard
Hayes Stroker Trail brakes
Red Industry 9 classic hubs laced to Stan's Arch rims
Kenda Slant Six tires (29X2.2)

And my Sortie 3 that doesn't see as much trail time these days: