Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

post pics of sortie's

8K views 74 replies 24 participants last post by  dgw2jr 
#1 · (Edited)
Im trying to gather ideas for my next bike and this is what i want to build just looking for some motovation

#30 ·
bballboy388 said:
looks good man... only thing im worried about is the length of that steer tube. I know its a xc bike but ive seen pics of them snapping under to much torque. (those were dj bikes though)
Thanks. I played around with the steerer tube length for about two weeks or so after I put on the fork, since I was afraid to commit (and risk cutting it too short.) That picture was taken right after I gave it a bath, and just before I cut it again (for the last time.) I was still sitting too upright with it that long and yes, I was worried about it snapping. :eek:

It is at a much more "normal" length now, and it rides like a dream too.

#32 ·
Racing pic

Here is some pics of me racing on my Sorties;)

I've been so busy working and riding and doing the Diamondback Team stuff that I have kinda forgot to keep up on this site too, but have been real busy on Diamondback HDXC facebook page if anyone wants to check it out, lots of pics from others too and video too.:D

Attachments

#34 ·
Lovin' my new '09 Sortie 1

Hi. First post on this great forum. I'm an old hardtail rider, but when I saw a new '09 DB Sortie 1 marked down at the local Dick's Sporting Goods from $1500 to $599, I HAD to buy it! After a few decent rides through the hills/mountains of Brea and Chino Hills over the past few weeks, I think I picked the right bike.
Lee in Yorba Linda, CA

Attachments

#35 ·
Hey Lee, good to see someone else making the same decision. I too spotted the marked down bikes at the YL store and kept circling the small one they had. Finally picked it up on Sunday. I'm new to mountain biking and had always wanted to get into it...so figured this was an economical way to get into a decent bike (considering $600 doesn't go too far elsewhere).

Near term changes will be pedals and am thinking of getting a shorter stem to help me with leverage to jump with it. I figured that if I really get into the sport then I'll start swapping stuff out cause right now I doubt I'd feel the impact between a Fox fork/shock versus the stock stuff. PM me if you'd like to get together for a ride...I'm in AH.

#37 ·
GoRovers said:
Hi. First post on this great forum. I'm an old hardtail rider, but when I saw a new '09 DB Sortie 1 marked down at the local Dick's Sporting Goods from $1500 to $599, I HAD to buy it! After a few decent rides through the hills/mountains of Brea and Chino Hills over the past few weeks, I think I picked the right bike.
Lee in Yorba Linda, CA
WHAT:eek: They sold it to you for $600 dollars:eek: :eek: Someone goofed, that bike is 1100 on clearance and 25% off that @ Dick's, so it should be $899.97 ! That is below stores costs. You my friend just stole that bike, That is cheaper than a Prodeal:eekster:

What a find and thank the person that signed it wrong! :D :D

#39 ·
Naaa, they knew the price and even the sales guy said the same in that it was below their cost. They were glad to see it go as a few store associates and the mgr came by and said 'finally'. All of them acknowledged it was a great deal but they were tired of having people bust their chops on why they only had a small frame and no other sizes.

#40 ·
DavidNeiles said:
WHAT:eek: They sold it to you for $600 dollars:eek: :eek: Someone goofed, that bike is 1100 on clearance and 25% off that @ Dick's, so it should be $899.97 ! That is below stores costs. You my friend just stole that bike, That is cheaper than a Prodeal:eekster:

What a find and thank the person that signed it wrong! :D :D
David,
Dicks Sporting Goods slashed the price of their '09 Sortie 1s in all stores. Savvy shoppers snapped 'em up within days. I needed a large frame, but the local (Yorba Linda) store just had a small frame left. The only store in SoCal with a large Sortie still in stock was Murrietta, so I had the manager reserve it for me, and I drove the 110 mile round trip to buy the bike there. It was worth it, obviously. I'm really lovin' this bike.

I'm open to suggestions for first upgrades to the Sortie. I know I have to replace those cheap stock pedals. The seat post seems to slip, even when cranked down, so maybe that's next...?

#41 ·
GoRovers said:
David,
Dicks Sporting Goods slashed the price of their '09 Sortie 1s in all stores. Savvy shoppers snapped 'em up within days. I needed a large frame, but the local (Yorba Linda) store just had a small frame left. The only store in SoCal with a large Sortie still in stock was Murrietta, so I had the manager reserve it for me, and I drove the 110 mile round trip to buy the bike there. It was worth it, obviously. I'm really lovin' this bike.

I'm open to suggestions for first upgrades to the Sortie. I know I have to replace those cheap stock pedals. The seat post seems to slip, even when cranked down, so maybe that's next...?
No, that was a signage mistake, I work there and know what they are going for!! You just got lucky as hell!! I still have a S,M L left over of the Sortie 1 and Mission 1 09 going for $1,100 bucks with the discount!! S, M, L instock too :eek:

#42 ·
Oh and seatbinders are a warranty issue and will not cost you anything unless u want to buy something else which I don't think you need to, Have several DB's with stock binders and no problem, You need to make sure it is good and tight. Or go for a bolt on one if you must, Sometime people put way too much grease in the seat tube. Just a little dab will do:)

#43 ·
Thanks for the info David. Which location are you at? How do we exercise the warranty...directly through Diamondback? I haven't had any issues with mine yet, but does this apply to other models? I ask cause we bought a DB for my wife and I've noticed it's been slipping. I really tightened it the other day to the point that she couldn't lift the lever to adjust the seat but I've noticed it had shifted sideways a bit.

thx

#44 ·
DavidNeiles said:
No, that was a signage mistake, I work there and know what they are going for!! You just got lucky as hell!! I still have a S,M L left over of the Sortie 1 and Mission 1 09 going for $1,100 bucks with the discount!! S, M, L instock too :eek:
David,
I had the guys in the Yorba Linda store call all the other stores, trying to find me a large frame '09 Sortie. They'd almost all sold out as soon as word of the price cut got around. All stores quoted the same ($599) on sale price, so I grabbed the last one (size large) from Murietta. Doesn't sound like a single store signage mistake. This was in the Dick's computer system, company wide.

Now the 2010 Sortie 1 (white color, not gray like the '09) has some improvements...better components, and the new/improved Knuckle Box design which DB is promoting on their website. Maybe the sale was a "dump the '09s" thing...but that doesn't make sense if you're now still selling '09s for $1100...:???:

#45 ·
GoRovers said:
David,
I had the guys in the Yorba Linda store call all the other stores, trying to find me a large frame '09 Sortie. They'd almost all sold out as soon as word of the price cut got around. All stores quoted the same ($599) on sale price, so I grabbed the last one (size large) from Murietta. Doesn't sound like a single store signage mistake. This was in the Dick's computer system, company wide.

Now the 2010 Sortie 1 (white color, not gray like the '09) has some improvements...better components, and the new/improved Knuckle Box design which DB is promoting on their website. Maybe the sale was a "dump the '09s" thing...but that doesn't make sense if you're now still selling '09s for $1100...:???:
You read what I wrote wrong, the 2009 Sortie 1 is 899.97 which is the 25% off price of 1,100!!!!!!!!! I have scaned it in the system and that is what the price gun says. It is corporate so all stores should be the same price??:confused: Not sure what the hell is going on here. But who the hell cares, you got it and it was a great find. I wouldn't be surprised if was a human error as to what the price gun really said and what they thought the 25% off price means:madman: . Whatever, that just sounds crazy to sell a 1500 msrp bike at 600 bucks and loose a crap load of money,:skep: no right business person would do that but I guess I'm wrong:madmax:

#46 ·
trsills said:
Thanks for the info David. Which location are you at? How do we exercise the warranty...directly through Diamondback? I haven't had any issues with mine yet, but does this apply to other models? I ask cause we bought a DB for my wife and I've noticed it's been slipping. I really tightened it the other day to the point that she couldn't lift the lever to adjust the seat but I've noticed it had shifted sideways a bit.

thx
Chattanooga TN location and you must go through the dealer for warranties.:thumbsup:

#47 ·
DavidNeiles said:
You read what I wrote wrong, the 2009 Sortie 1 is 899.97 which is the 25% off price of 1,100!!!!!!!!! I have scaned it in the system and that is what the price gun says. It is corporate so all stores should be the same price??:confused: Not sure what the hell is going on here. But who the hell cares, you got it and it was a great find. I wouldn't be surprised if was a human error as to what the price gun really said and what they thought the 25% off price means:madman: . Whatever, that just sounds crazy to sell a 1500 msrp bike at 600 bucks and loose a crap load of money,:skep: no right business person would do that but I guess I'm wrong:madmax:
David,
A to-remain-nameless Dicks employee at one of their stores told me, "We're getting rid of the high-end bikes (i.e. Sorties) because people primarily come here to buy low-end bikes." (He was referring to $300 hybrids, and $250 beach cruisers...) Who knows, who cares...like you said, I'm happy with the deal I got.

#48 ·
LOL, too funny, I have been building up the store I run, to be able to carry the high end DB's, we sell them and will continue to in the future. I have new 2010 Sorties in the store and a Sortie 2 and 3 on the way! Have sold a lot of Missions as well in the last few years. I run one of the few nice highend stores in the nation and love to share my cycling passion with others. It is hard to have a nice higher end bike in a store when someone has no "Shop" experience, that is exactly why that store is not selling high end bikes!! I totally understand what you are saying. Most stores are lucky to have a Response Sport if that !!!!!!!!!!!:D :D We have got a lot of lucky customers that live around here to get the best service for the money and good quality products at unbeatable prices for sure. Each store is only as good as the tech running it.
It's crazy to think; but my Chattanooga TN store is one of the top volume stores in the nation and I do some of the most amount of bike services in the company too. After so many years at a LBS I had to get a job with Health INS/ benefits, Chron's diease is a ***** :mad: Been with the company 5+ yrs and enjoy my work, as do my loyal customers and Diamondback too:D .

Enjoy the Sortie, It will treat you well and is a great riding bike:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.