mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Please help to determine year and model of this diamondback?

Is there a way to determine the approximate year and model of this Diamondback from the photo below? A stranger is selling it for around $200 and informed me it's in a working condition but no additional info. I am new to this sport and don't want to break a neck on my first ride due to bike's poor built.
    Please help to determine year and model of this diamondback?-2017-08-23_09h44_28.jpg

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Substorm View Post
    Is there a way to determine the approximate year and model of this Diamondback from the photo below? A stranger is selling it for around $200 and informed me it's in a working condition but no additional info. I am new to this sport and don't want to break a neck on my first ride due to bike's poor built.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-08-23_09h44_28.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	1153717
    Dunno what it is, but i bet it was ~200$ new.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Is dimondback considered as a low quality brand?

mtbr member
    Is dimondback considered as a low quality brand?
    Some of them. They have a department store line and then they have a higher-end line as well. The nicer ones are pretty legit IMO. Right up there with anything you'll see from the likes of Cannondale or Specialized ect for the price category. DiamondBack I think are really stepping up their game to legitimize the brand since there is a stigma against them due to the lowend stuff being what most people think of when the DiamondBack brand comes up in discussion.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

Cycologist
    Diamondback was a good brand many years ago and then they were bought out and largely produced low end bikes for big box stores, living off of their prior reputation. Interestingly, they have recently started producing some decent bikes at good prices.

A few things I notice about that bike: fork has boots and appears to be very short travel; crappy looking seat and pedals, V-brakes, cables appear to be a bit of a mess, wonky looking single pivot rear, still has reflectors in wheels and plastic chain guard behind cassette. I don't think that is worth $200. If the owner won't tell you the model and year so you can research it, I would stay away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I just received some more info. Looks like this is a 5 year old DiamondBack Trail XC endeavour DB78 full suspension trail bike.
    Probably better to skip this one?

mbtr member
    I just received some more info. Looks like this is a 5 year old DiamondBack Trail XC endeavour DB78 full suspension trail bike.
    Probably better to skip this one?
    Yes. It's garbage.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    I'd definitely skip that one. That's probably not more than a Walmart bike quality-wise. Don't know your budget but you'll be way better off looking at hardtails if you're trying to find something in that $200 range. Even then...it'll be tough to find something that's really good quality.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Thanks for steering me straight.

Slightly off topic but is this 2007 Specialized RockHopper for around $300 CAD worth it?
    Please help to determine year and model of this diamondback?-2017-08-23_12h44_13.jpg