mtbr member
    Aug 2009

picked up a Response Sport today.. *PIC*

I believe it's a 2007. Has a bontrager bar and stem, marzocchi bomber fork. Other than that it's pretty stock from what I can tell. Rides nice, definitely an upgrade over my Trek 820. Paid $200 for it, and the guy threw in an extra tire because the rear is getting a little worn down.

I'd like to get some clipless pedals and a chainstay guard, and that should keep me happy for awhile.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Like that "muted" look. I picked up an '08 not long ago in that Sport Chalet 'root beer' color, totally clean and really like it as a spare bike. Came with the clipless pedals and Shimano shoes in my size- and a pump and Fox underseat bag for $175.

The tires were still about 90% even. I guess I've become a Diamondback fan...
    08 D'back Response SC
    09 D'back Recoil
    09 D'back Recoil Comp
    11 D'back Overdrive 29'er

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 67Xer View Post
    Like that "muted" look. I picked up an '08 not long ago in that Sport Chalet 'root beer' color, totally clean and really like it as a spare bike. Came with the clipless pedals and Shimano shoes in my size- and a pump and Fox underseat bag for $175.

The tires were still about 90% even. I guess I've become a Diamondback fan...
    It rides nice, I took it out and got it muddy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Nice looking bike my friend! Looks better dirty!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    nice muddy decals! suits the bikes color well! hehe

mtbr member
    Nice! But the fork doesn't match...

Need More Bikes
    good looking bike. Is it light?

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    The fork looks to short. Is that an 80mm fork?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Senor StrongBad View Post
    The fork looks to short. Is that an 80mm fork?
    yes. You think I should upgrade it?

What would be a good bang for the buck? I like rooty and fast downhills.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    The responce was built to take a 120mm fork so the lower fork will make it twitchier on decents and lower the bottom bracket which will cuase more pedal strikes. I would recomend a 120 or 130mm fork. My favorite forks are Rockshox Rebas and Revelations, but they are expensive brand new. I have seen some great deals on Marzocchi's and have heard good things about the last few years of production. there are a lot of good deals out there right now with companies getting rid of the last year models they have in stock.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Sorry to semi-hijack your thread but I am a newbie here and can't post until I have 5 reply type posts. My college son is looking for a bike to ride around his hilly college town and I am wondering if the Black Friday deal at Dick's Sporting Goods listed below on a DB Response XE is worth it. Can others please comment on this bike? He has a little riding experience but isn't into riding trails on a regular basis...mostly needs something decent to ride from one side of campus to another and hop some curbs and potholes in the process. He thinks he might prefer some suspension on the back but isn't sure it's absolutely necessary. This would be an early Christmas present to him.

Diamondback Men's Response XE Mountain Bike 2012
    ITEM NUMBER: 11492818
    (Sorry, again, I can't post a link until I've got 10 posts on this message board)
    ( 12 Reviews )
    Price: $349.99 $549.99*
    You save: $200.00 (36%)
    Now $249.98! Men's Response XE Mountain Bike! Early Bird Special! (See Promotion Details)
    Frame: DB 6061-T6 Aluminum w/ Hooded Strongbox Top Tube, Formed Down Tube, DB Snake Stays, replaceable hanger
    Fork: SR Suntour XCT 100mm travel coil fork
    Rear Shock: N/A
    Cranks: SR Suntour XCT V3 42/32/22t
    Bottom Bracket: Cartridge
    F. Derailleur: Microshift M-20
    R. Derailleur: Shimano ALTUS
    Shifter: Shimano EF-51 7spd EZ-Fire
    Brake Levers: Promax 3 finger Alloy Linear w/ reach Adjust
    Brakes: Tektro Novela Disc 6" rotors
    Cog Set: Shimano 7spd (14-28)

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I think it's a great price on a beginner's/amateur's bike. I like mine and prefer a hard tail over full suspension. When I caught the MTB bug, I picked up a used Recoil Comp and found it too much work for the riding I do. Then I saw an Overdrive 29er and after testing it out, bought it and love the thing. I decided then that my oldest son would get my Recoil, then found another great buy on a base Recoil for my younger boy. Then...the Response came my way and I couldn't pass it up. I switch around and now have a spare bike for a friend or if working on the other.

That's a long, roundabout way to give a thumbs up on the Response, but I think it is an ample bike for most, just not for downhill racing.
    08 D'back Response SC
    09 D'back Recoil
    09 D'back Recoil Comp
    11 D'back Overdrive 29'er

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 67Xer View Post
    I think it's a great price on a beginner's/amateur's bike. I like mine and prefer a hard tail over full suspension. When I caught the MTB bug, I picked up a used Recoil Comp and found it too much work for the riding I do. Then I saw an Overdrive 29er and after testing it out, bought it and love the thing. I decided then that my oldest son would get my Recoil, then found another great buy on a base Recoil for my younger boy. Then...the Response came my way and I couldn't pass it up. I switch around and now have a spare bike for a friend or if working on the other.

That's a long, roundabout way to give a thumbs up on the Response, but I think it is an ample bike for most, just not for downhill racing.
    Thank you for your reply. We will go to DSG tomorrow and hopefully find one in the store for him to test out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Well I ended up finding a Marzocchi MZ Race 100m for $60 on craigslist, so I put that on to replace the 80mm fork. Geometry is much better. Maybe still not optimal, but the price was right, and it feels better now.

Thanks

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    you could also buy an Overdrive for $299 on-line

Diamondback Overdrive V 29'er Mountain Bike 2012 - Dick's Sporting Goods

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by Senor StrongBad View Post
    The responce was built to take a 120mm fork so the lower fork will make it twitchier on decents and lower the bottom bracket which will cuase more pedal strikes. I would recomend a 120 or 130mm fork. My favorite forks are Rockshox Rebas and Revelations, but they are expensive brand new. I have seen some great deals on Marzocchi's and have heard good things about the last few years of production. there are a lot of good deals out there right now with companies getting rid of the last year models they have in stock.
    You just answered my question cuz i was planning on getting a 100mm to replace my 120mm.