mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Overdrive Pro....any love?

I'm getting back into MTB after 15 years or so. Currently riding my dad's old Stumpjumper 26" and I'm having a blast. Looking to join the 21st century and join the 29er club to try to make trail riding easier and more enjoyable here in the northeast. From what I've read and the industry opinions I've gotten, it seems the Overdrive Pro is undeniably unbeatable anywhere near it's price point as far as specs and components. Looking for any feedback and opinions of you guys regarding the 2014 Overdrive Pro and maybe how it compares to the Overdrive Comp because I may want to save a little money.

Fwiw I only weigh 160lbs and will only be doing some pretty basic trail and single track riding in New Hampshire / Massachusetts. I know everyone is going to compare the forks on these two bikes a ton but please consider my size and weight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I have the Pro. It's not just the forks, it's the components as well... However!
    The wheels are the same. And I will tell you, they are C R A P !!! Unless you don't mind pushing those round boat anchors around. Took the wheels off and weighed them(with tires and rotors). Over 11lbs! Put a new set of wheels/tires on the bike. Dropped over 3 lbs of rotating mass. Feels like a completely new bike!

Comp is a nice little bike. If you are thinking on a budget, I would buy the Comp, and spend the extra money you saved on new wheels. You will be happy!
    Bike Doctor

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Do you kind sharing what wheels you went with? I would appreciate it. I've been reading the whole time about the junk wheels on all the overdrives. Trying to figure out what would be good replacements. I was looking at the WTB frequency i23 set but unless I'm reading it all wrong they don't seem that much lighter than stock? Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    2014 Easton Havens. I will weigh the SL7's today at work. The WTB would not be my first choice, but they would still be an upgrade over stock. If you don't want to break the bank I would look at the Stan's Crest EX or Arch EX depending on your weight.
    Bike Doctor

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Despite you being a Blackhawks fan, I really appreciate your help. Just to revisit the original post, do you think a guy my size would benefit greatly and notice a significant difference with the fox shock vs the xc30 on comp? I know the components are better on the pro but it's not like the deore stuff is junk? Do you think I'd be ahead of the game with the comp with new wheels over the pro stock? Thanks

Go Bruins!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I had the pro and a buddy bought the comp. There is no comparison between those two forks in my opinion. I'd get the pro, ride the hell out of it until you can afford the upgrade a bit down the road. Those wheels are heavy but can take a beating as well though and from my experience they did ride stiff enough.

My concern with the bike was geometry, which always felt a little off to me. The stand over height on my medium was ridiculously tall as well which bugged me a bit. The bike was an outstanding way to get me back in to riding after 10 years off of a bike. I've since moved to a FS rig.
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon XP

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    John,

It really doesn't have anything to do with weight. You could adjust the air on both forks to accommodate weight whether you were 160# or 250#. Just the stiffness, adjustability, and smoothness is better.

As I said. I would buy the Comp and immediately upgrade the wheels. Not that I wish I did that. I'm saying from what you described you are looking for.
    Bike Doctor

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawks01 View Post
    2014 Easton Havens. I will weigh the SL7's today at work. The WTB would not be my first choice, but they would still be an upgrade over stock. If you don't want to break the bank I would look at the Stan's Crest EX or Arch EX depending on your weight.
    SL7 wheel set weighs approx 2250g +/- a few grams. I didn't have my good Park scale handy.
    Pretty bullet proof. Buy HEAVY!!
    Bike Doctor

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks for doing that! Yeah that does sound pretty heavy. Are these hubs particularly heavy or are they contributing? Can I get away with just replacing the rims and that making a difference?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The whole thing is heavy. Lol. Obviously if the hub was a little heavy it wouldn't affect the feeling of the bike as much as the weight of the hoop. Because that's what's turning with the greatest amount of internia.

But with your weight. If you dropped to something in the 1700 gram range, and went tubeless? The bike would feel totally different! You would not only drop almost 3 lbs off of your bike, but it would accelerate and feel quicker.
    Bike Doctor

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Is the rear axle 9mm or 10mm QR?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    ^^ On the Overdrives?

On the Comp they are standard QR's 9x100mm front, and 10x135mm rear.

On the Pro they are 15mm thru axle front, and 10x135mm rear.
    Bike Doctor

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Some more research and brainstorming gave me this question. It seems like the Fox fork on the Pro is about 1.5lb lighter than the Rockshox on the comp. Isn't this about the same overall weight difference that upgraded wheels would give on the Comp? I'm sure fork weight and wheels weight are different effectively when riding though?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The Pro will be a little lighter due to the upgraded fork and components. But you would notice the -1.5 lbs. in the wheels more than the fork.
    Bike Doctor

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I ordered my overdrive pro last weekend and it looks like I'll have it Monday! I couldn't be more excited about it. I have one last question that I'm hoping to get an answer to. After reading a lot about the fox ctd fork it seems like the 2013 version was less than desire able but it was totally reworked for 2014 and everyone seems to like it a lot better. I know the bike is a 2014 but is there any way to tell or confirm which version of the fork I will have?

Also just wanted to add that Blackhawks01 you are awesome. You've answered all of my questions, as well as others', and done so in great time as well. It seems the diamondback forum here doesn't get much traffic but it's nice to know there is at least one person here to help us that knows what they're talking about. It makes a big difference to a noob like myself.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    No worries! You can go to Fox's site and type in the model number on the upper fork tube and it will tell you the model/year. Should be 2014...

I have 2013. Only issue I had was that the CTD selector stopped working correctly after about 5 months. Sent it back to Fox at the end of the riding season, and the fork was completely re-done along with new decals and everything. Only thing it cost me was $13.00 to ship it to Fox.
    Bike Doctor

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Old thread revive! I ordered an overdrive pro from price point this week, I'm a sucker for a sale. Do you guys who have ordered online know if the bb comes installed? I don't have an external wrench and I was just trying to figure out if I needed to have one quick shipped to beat the bike here. Also, does the bike/fork come with a pump? Or do I need to quick ship one of those too?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    BB is installed and it does not come with a fork pump.

You are going to love the bike though. Let us know what you think!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Awesome, first non walmart bike so I'm pretty stoked. My brother has a pump so I should be good on that. Really hoping it makes it in by Friday so I can have it put together and ready to ride the trails Saturday.
    Again, thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Had a good ride this past weekend, putting it together was super easy. I still need to dial a few things in but all in all I was surprised at how easy it was, RD needed extremely minimal adjustment. The pedals that came with it are junk tho, I've got a new set on the way. I'm also having a pretty tough time getting the rims to seal good ghetto tubeless, I'm going to ride for a few more days and see if it does any better before I break them down and re-wrap.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Ben I will save you a lot of trouble... If you are attempting to run ghetto tubeless with the WTB Wolverine tires that came on the bike? Stop. You're wasting your time. lol

If you want to try it with the tubeless ready tire, it might work a little better. But the SL7 wheels are heavy! And, I don't think they seat very well for tubeless apps.
    Bike Doctor

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawks01 View Post
    Ben I will save you a lot of trouble... If you are attempting to run ghetto tubeless with the WTB Wolverine tires that came on the bike? Stop. You're wasting your time. lol

If you want to try it with the tubeless ready tire, it might work a little better. But the SL7 wheels are heavy! And, I don't think they seat very well for tubeless apps.

It blows my mind. I went ghetto tubeless on a set of mongoose rims with a pair of wtb Bronsons and never had an issue, I may pull the wolverines and try tgose.. I'll upgrade rims eventually just gotta let the toy money fund rebuild a bit.