Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    19

    Overdrive out of the box (why not to buy Diamondback)

    Yesterday I received my Overdrive in the mail. As I took it out of the box just realized that a wheel spoke was broken. After further inspection something does not seem quite right with the rear derailleur. This is the first time I get a bike in a box and I try to put it together and these does not seem right.

    Too bad I got started getting it out of the box after DB closed for the weekend. Hopefully I can get a hold of Costumer service on Monday and see how can we get this fixed.

    I was so excited that I am really disappointed that my bike is not ready to go this weekend.

    What is your experience with DB costumer service?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Overdrive out of the box-spoke.jpg  

    Overdrive out of the box-img_0160.jpg  

    Overdrive out of the box-img_0161.jpg  

    Last edited by ecologito; 05-03-2012 at 04:09 PM.

  2. #2
    Singletrack Slayer
    Reputation: DavidNeiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,927
    This is why YOU DON"T BUY ONLINE Good luck, go to a local shop, looks like a new nipple and a new Derailleur hanger.. Where did u buy it from? Call them
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    19
    I bought it directly from Diamondback. I can't wait to give them a call on Monday and wort it out. I see the bike sitting in the living room and I just want to ride!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Skrapmetal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    74
    That sucks. I nearly bought this bike... the big thing I took away from the reviews was that the quality was good but their customer service is lacking these days. I hope things go well for you.
    2011 GT Karakoram 1.0

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    124
    I have had awesome experience with db's customer service! Sucks that you got it that way but I would assume they will take care of you without any issues.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    55
    What a drag...I'm thinking damage from shipping? Peeps in general have little pride in what they do or concern for the products they handle, so you see stuff like this.

    Report back how they handle you. This kinda thing keeps from buying a full bike online. Frameset, sure, but not the whole thing. Hope it goes well for ya, I dig my OD and don't care that it was only a $500 bike. Suits me great and I continue to pound on it without issue...until I can get me a Mission...
    08 D'back Response SC
    09 D'back Recoil
    09 D'back Recoil Comp
    11 D'back Overdrive 29'er

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    778
    I've had a bad experience with DB service. You call in and the automated service makes you press one for so and so, press two for so and so, and on and on. Didn't know they sold tread mills...

    Anyway finally got ahold of someone. He knew absolutely nothing about bikes, told me to go to a local shop or to Dick's. I have to admit I didn't make matters better by hanging up on him. I just couldn't believe this was the bike tech and he knew nothing about them. I think it was a central calling center for them. I was expecting to hear from someone who knew bikes.

    I loved my bike but not the customer service. Also, I've been told that if you assemble the bike yourself this voids the warranty. Check this out first. I never verified it. Allegedly if you get it assembled at a LBS they will honor any warranty issues but self assembly they won't. This made me wonder why they include a set of tools to assemble it on your own in the box. I took mine to a LBS so no problem there, but make sure about this. LIke I said I don't know if it is true or not.

    I think they make great bikes, but the service is not good.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrapmetal View Post
    That sucks. I nearly bought this bike... the big thing I took away from the reviews was that the quality was good but their customer service is lacking these days. I hope things go well for you.
    I called today and they were super cool about it. I told them that I needed a new hanger and the spoke nipple snapped.

    They are sending me a new hanger and an entire new wheel and tire

    The wheel is out of stock so I may have to wait about a week for them to come in The wait is going to kill me just staring at the bike in the living room instead of hitting the trails.

    So far DB costumer service staff was super nice, we'll see if they deliver.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    778
    I'm very glad to hear that. That makes me feel better about them next time I consider another purchase. You will like the Overdrive, good bike.

  10. #10
    Singletrack Slayer
    Reputation: DavidNeiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,927
    There service is awesome! Just like some Bike brands rather you go through a dealer. It looks like the damage was done in shipping. Should get a new der hanger and the front wheel just needs a new nipple.
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    19
    Here is the update:

    I received the hanger (the actually sent two) and a water bottle, along with the new wheel to replace the damaged one.

    After removing the tire from the damaged wheel I started to remove the screws that hold in place the disc break. When I got to the last one the head stripped (on torx screw using the wrench provided by Diamondback) and at this point I lost it. I have been staring at this bike that I have not been to ride for a week and when I think I got the parts to fix it something else goes wrong.

    I called diamondback to tell them that I am frustrated and I just want to send it back. Before we could even go into the details of what happened the rep says " well... we do no take returns, all sales are final". I asked if they wanted me to throw it away and she responded "if that is what you want to do..."

    That did not help to my level of frustration at all, now I will have to go to a shop to get the screw cut or else. and get the tire fixed.

    My frustration is that I bought this bike two weeks ago, I paid for it two weeks ago and I can't still ride it.

    Please be aware of who you buy your bike from and do not spare $30 and go with your LBS, I am sure not all LBS are the same but at least you have somebody infront of you to yell at and not say "if that is what you wanna do.." and blow you off.

    I will repost and call them back as soon as I calm down, at this point I would give two thumbs down to Diamondback.

  12. #12
    Singletrack Slayer
    Reputation: DavidNeiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,927
    You should just take it to a bike shop get a tune up and let them do it. Just because you stripped out a bolt and blam them shows your level of experience and knowledge... Diamondback hooked you up with a whole new wheel, two hangers and a bottle and your still pissed!! Please let this be a lesson in bicycing and not some rant against a brand that got you taken care of.

    It's not that bad to get a stripped bolt of there, just callm down and chill
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    19
    David Neiles,

    I don't blame them for s stipped bolt, that just pushed me over the edge because I was working on a bike that I bought new and should not be this much work or time to get it in riding conditions.

    This has been both, a lesson in bicycling (or online shopping) but also let me get some steam off. Now that I rode the bike I have calmed down and actually get to enjoy my new toy

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    38
    I just picked up an Overdrive for my wife from performance bike. I'm glad I did too. It needed quite a bit of adjustment on the brakes, and the other usual stuff.

    Even after we got there, and the bike was "set up", I had to have them re-route the rear brake and deraileur cables, as they would get caught on the fork. The front disc had a "shimmy", which required some adjustment.

    After they got everything sorted, the bike feels great! My wife loves it, and it was a very good price. I wouldn't have any issues in buying another diamondback, but I would tend not to buy direct unless I was very comfortable with setting up the bike myself.

    From the sounds of your experience, diamondback did their due diligence by sending you new stuff. You got upset that a screw stripped (it happens), and took it out on the phone support people. Sorry for your bike trouble, but it sounds like they tried to make it right.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by ecologito View Post
    Here is the update:

    I received the hanger (the actually sent two) and a water bottle, along with the new wheel to replace the damaged one.

    After removing the tire from the damaged wheel I started to remove the screws that hold in place the disc break. When I got to the last one the head stripped (on torx screw using the wrench provided by Diamondback) and at this point I lost it. I have been staring at this bike that I have not been to ride for a week and when I think I got the parts to fix it something else goes wrong.

    I called diamondback to tell them that I am frustrated and I just want to send it back. Before we could even go into the details of what happened the rep says " well... we do no take returns, all sales are final". I asked if they wanted me to throw it away and she responded "if that is what you want to do..."

    That did not help to my level of frustration at all, now I will have to go to a shop to get the screw cut or else. and get the tire fixed.

    My frustration is that I bought this bike two weeks ago, I paid for it two weeks ago and I can't still ride it.

    Please be aware of who you buy your bike from and do not spare $30 and go with your LBS, I am sure not all LBS are the same but at least you have somebody infront of you to yell at and not say "if that is what you wanna do.." and blow you off.

    I will repost and call them back as soon as I calm down, at this point I would give two thumbs down to Diamondback.
    How is it Diamondback's fault that YOU stripped out torx bolt? It sounds like diamondback really hooked you up sending you 2 new derailleur hangers, a NEW WHEEL instead of just a spoke and nipple, and a bottle. You had no right to go off on them. It sounds like they went over the top in taking care of you. Really It sounds like you should of just taken it to a shop to be built.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by bballboy388 View Post
    How is it Diamondback's fault that YOU stripped out torx bolt? It sounds like diamondback really hooked you up sending you 2 new derailleur hangers, a NEW WHEEL instead of just a spoke and nipple, and a bottle. You had no right to go off on them. It sounds like they went over the top in taking care of you. Really It sounds like you should of just taken it to a shop to be built.

    It is not DB's fault that I stripped a bolt. I do have a right to go off on them just like you have the right to read my rant.

    I also have the right to admit that I was really upset with the damaged bike and the bolt was what pushed me over the edge. DB did what they could the best they could, it was not helpful when I called to send the bike back and they pretty much shut the door on my face.

    Like I mentioned above this has been a learning experience to NEVER buy a bike online and got to a local shop.

    I do want to thank TonyEder from Diamond Back, he was the first person that I talked to over the phone and he was very helpful to hook me up with the parts I needed.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    11
    sorry to hear about the trouble. My overdrive arrived perfect. I really like the bike and I think you will too.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    74
    Any bike you have shipped straight ( online, what not) you should still take in for a pre-ride tune-up at a LBS unless you are a bike mechanic. My first bike was a DB response comp. I bought it online as well. Loved the thing and beat the living snot out of it. Though I didn't take my own advice and paid for it in a couple small repairs that would've not been needed, and a busted knee, if I had a LBS tune it before I rode it.

    DB are good bikes, and sounds like they dealt with you very fairly. Just take the bike in, have it tuned. Go ride. Be happy.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    19
    Lesson learned and I am sharing that with others. Your advise is spot on Numbtoyou, I will account for adjustment / tuneup at a LBS.

    The benefit of buying from the LBS to begin with is that you don't have to think about adjustments after buying the bike or worrying about shipping damages, once you buy it you know that you will be walking out of the shop with a new ride ready to go.

    So far I rode around the block a couple of times (this is my therapy after knee surgery), and I really like the way it rides. As soon as the Dr. releases me and the knee gains more strenghts it will be going down the 10 mile trail in the neighborhood.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Numbtoyou View Post
    Any bike you have shipped straight ( online, what not) you should still take in for a pre-ride tune-up at a LBS unless you are a bike mechanic. My first bike was a DB response comp. I bought it online as well. Loved the thing and beat the living snot out of it. Though I didn't take my own advice and paid for it in a couple small repairs that would've not been needed, and a busted knee, if I had a LBS tune it before I rode it.

    DB are good bikes, and sounds like they dealt with you very fairly. Just take the bike in, have it tuned. Go ride. Be happy.
    +1

    that goes for bikes from the big box stores as well....

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,584
    This is a great post to use as an example of why not to buy online. This type of thing used to happen all the time at the shop with bikes we got. The difference was that during the build up, I would notice these defects and either fix them or get the warranty parts...all before the customer got the bike (shipping damage like this was not uncommon). This IS why the LBS bikes cost a little more...to pay for you not having to deal with this crap. I think DB did what they needed to do. The hanger was clearly bent and the rim actually needed to be completely replaced based on that picture. The stripped bolt isn't their problem. Take it to a shop, pay $50 to get it fixed, and move on with your life.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    This is a great post to use as an example of why not to buy online. This type of thing used to happen all the time at the shop with bikes we got. The difference was that during the build up, I would notice these defects and either fix them or get the warranty parts...all before the customer got the bike (shipping damage like this was not uncommon). This IS why the LBS bikes cost a little more...to pay for you not having to deal with this crap. I think DB did what they needed to do. The hanger was clearly bent and the rim actually needed to be completely replaced based on that picture. The stripped bolt isn't their problem. Take it to a shop, pay $50 to get it fixed, and move on with your life.
    Ti, I stopped at REI and bought a bag of bolts for $6.00, used a grabbit tool and got it done myself.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,584
    Great job eco!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •