Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Overdrive Carbon anyone

8K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Anwallac 
#1 ·
#4 ·
#9 ·
So I had my eyes on the Carbon Overdrive Expert for a few months, and ended up buying it on a deal I could not pass up. I put on my sunringle black flag pro's and shimano xt pedals (pd-m785), and it is around 24.5 lbs. Still looking to get it down to 22 lbs is my goal. Gonna go with 1x10 wolftooth sram spiderless chainring and lighter seat/carbon seat post, and maybe lighter pedals. Will report back with weight savings. Overall, geometry fits me perfectly, fox float forks are awesome, definitely quite a bike for the price.

#10 ·
The carbon is an awesome bike. I have had the Overdrive Pro for about a year. I got the Carbon Pro when they hit the market in October. Bike is truly incredible. Took the bike out of the box, and removed the tubes. Weighed it with basic Shimano spd pedals and it was 22.4 lbs. You will be hard pressed to see 22lbs. on your Expert unless you swap out nearly everything or start removing stuff... You already have a nice, light wheelset(comparable to the EA90XC that comes on the Pro). The Pro also comes with an EC90 cockpit, and full XO Carbon group. You will spend nearly what you paid for the bike to shave those 900 grams. Swapping out the 2x for a 1x, removing the front shifter and derailleur will save you about 450 grams. That gets you down to about 23.5 lbs. Carbon post and bars will save you another 150 grams. That will get you really close to 23 lbs. Lighter seat, pedals, and stem you could shave another 250g. That gets you into the 22.5 lb range. Add it up. How much did it cost you?

#13 ·
What I have to do is spread that cost over time so my wife doesn't realize lol. I think my next step is new seat & new pedals and I will probably stop there. Then down the line go for the stem/bars/seatpost since the easton EA70 parts are actually pretty darn good.

So looking at additional cost: $80 chain ring, and $300 more for pedals and a seat. Not to mention paid $500 for wheels/tires. Currently looking at Xpedo M force 4 TI pedals but I weigh 183lbs so not sure about the 180 weight limit

#15 ·
Resurrecting an old thread. But anyone getting ridiculous creaks from their carbon frame? I only notice it when I'm in the saddle (I don't notice it when I'm standing up) so I'm guessing it's something in the seatpost area. But damn, if it doesn't sound like I'm going to rip the BB out of the frame. I don't notice any cracks in the frame but am curious if other people have encountered this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.