mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Overdrive Carbon?

Does anybody have experience with the Overdrive Carbon / Expert / Pro? They appear to have good specs for the money, especially at the discounted price that I could get them for. I'm most likely looking at the Expert, which compared to the Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Carbon HT, is a much better price/components.

Hopefully somebody could chime in with some trail time / suggestions.

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The bike is sick!! My buddy has the 2014 Carbon Pro. I built it for him. Little skeptical because it's their first line of carbon mtb, and nobody had any real experience with one. But let me tell you... I was impressed. Bike was 22lbs out of the box. As soon as he put about 50 miles on it, he sold his Specialized.

He's got several hundred miles on that bike now, and couldn't be happier. He's pretty darn fast too.
    Bike Doctor

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for the information. It would be appreciated if anybody else has some thoughts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Have you made a decision yet? Can I ask why you're looking at the Expert over the standard?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Sorry for the late response. I haven't made the decision yet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Any news?

Quote Originally Posted by D_Rainman View Post
    Sorry for the late response. I haven't made the decision yet.
    Hi there. I'm in a similar situation, trying to figure out whether to go with the S or give DB a try. DB definitely has the better components at the Expert level, but it is hard to find any good reviews. I'm very tempted but would also love some more input from riders with actual ride time on the Overdrive.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The problem is the bike is new. Diamondback has been getting some pretty nice reviews on their carbon road bikes. Now they have taken their pretty successful aluminum line of mtb, and gone carbon. But you're not going to see the reviews pouring in like you do for all the big names.

All I can go off of is the bike I have ridden. I've ridden countless bikes over the years. Honestly, I think the bike ranks right up there with anything else out there at a comparable price point...
    Bike Doctor

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I like my overdrive carbon expert. I've had it 8 months and have no complaints, except the wheelset, but that's fairly easily replaced.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm thinking of getting one. I'm torn between the pro and expert as well. It looks like the components on the expert are a step down from the pro and I'm wondering if you ever felt like this was limiting?

Are the wheels on the expert tubeless ready?

Basically, I'm trying to see if it's better to get the expert and upgrade the wheels or just pony up and get the pro and not have to touch anything.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I think a roll of stans tape and a couple of valve stems would make them tubeless. They have a pretty slick plastic rim tape thing that seems pretty good but I'm not completely sure. I don't run tubeless even on my stans rim so I'm not a good resource for tubeless.

the real problem with the wheelset is it's heavy and the bearings are cheap. My rear hub would not stay tight, I was tightening it every ride. The bearing in the free hub sucked, it was super noisy and sounded like it was gonna explode after 40 miles or so, and my rear rim bent so bad that it couldn't be repaired in a pretty minor crash.

The pro looks pretty sweet so I wouldn't say don't get it, but the expert is solid, and an expert plus a set of stans wheels, is cheaper than the pro, and you could probably get an expert with some custom wheels with chris king hubs for less than the pro.