mtbr member
    May 2012

Opinions on Diamondback Response XE

I am new to the forum and I posted this in the beginner section but was hoping people might have more insight into the Diamondback here in the specific forum. Thanks!

Hey everybody. I am new to this forum. I used to ride a lot back in the day but life happened and I got rid of my old bike due to never riding it.

Well I have kids now and my wife just got a new bike just to ride around the neighborhood with my daughter and possibly do some rail trails. Because I am fat and out of shape I decided I should also get back into riding even if it is not as hardcore as I used to do it. My last bike was a Specialized Hardrock from around the 2000 model year.

I am looking for a great mountain bike under $400 that will suit my needs. Basically, 90% of the time I will end up just riding this bike around the neighborhood, on rail trails, and at the shore with my family. BUT...I know I will eventually get the itch to go out and find some trails to blaze. I want a bike that is going to last me a long time and take some abuse, but be reliable enough to always be ready to just go for a ride with my wife and daughter when they want to.

Some bikes I have looked at:

1. Raleigh Talus 3.0 and 4.0. The 4.0 is a bit out of my price range but I do like the addition of disc brakes. Don't know if I really need it though.

2. Spcialized Hardrock. I am partial to this one but a bit out of my price range.

3. Trek 820. Definately within my price range from a company that makes good bikes. Shop owner told me that this really would not hold up to the trails well.

Sporting goods store brands...

4. Nikishi Colorado. Seems to have a lot of bang for the buck. Since I am out of the game I am not sure of the actual quality of the components.

5. Diamondback Respsonse XE. Same as above.

These seem to be the brands that are readily available to me at local shops and stores.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have a 2011 DB Response XE. I really like the bike, and for 350.00 it was well worth it. I have done a lot of city riding and trail riding, mostly XC type stuff some and some downhill as well. The frame on the response is great, its very strong and probably unbreakable, its the components that are so-so.

I replaced a lot of the components on the bike already, did all SRAM x4 ( rear derail, shifters ) and I did FSA wheels with bontrager tires. Changed the freewheel 7 speed to a 8 speed SRAM PG850 cassette.

Basically I have a bike that is at least to me pretty darn nice, I am not a bike snob and I think it silly to spend 800 dollars on a FOX fork when you can get a great bike like the XE for 350.00. I would buy it and then replace the parts as you see fit, its a great bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Don't have one myself, but a friend has one, and it is decent... The components are what will be inadequet. He crashed on his first ride, and the plastic cover on the shifter broke apart, and cut him up pretty bad. Better components, usually means less plastic to break.
    It should suit your immediate needs of riding around the neighborhood, the local rail trail, and hitting the occasional singletrack fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Its a wonderful bike and you will be happy with it
    Still on training wheels

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I purchased one from ***** Sporting Goods taking full advantage of their Black Friday add last year listing it for $250. Not a bad bike, but like what's already been said the components could be much better. Bottom line, you get what you pay for. I've already had to replace the cranks, the forks, the pedals, the handlebars, the front derailleur, and the rear derailleur mounting bracket. Each time something broke I looked at it as an opportunity to upgrade. Within a 6 month time frame it's closer now to an $800 bike. Truth be known I enjoyed personalizing the bike and building it to suit me.

mtbr member
    The response xe is a good start for sure. Its a great frame. However as the previous posts stated, the components are bottom of the bucket.. It would be fine as is if all your doing is riding around the neighborhood but I personally wouldn't trust the fork (on any bike that retails for under $600) out on the trail. An upgraded fork could be had for around 200 (craigslist) which would give you the piece of mind out on the trail. After the fork I'd probably go drivetrain/wheels, whenever funds allow. (also best bang for your buck for these upgrades are found on craigslist)

So say you get the response for 350, put a $150-200 fork on it, your into it 500-550 and have a stout frame/fork setup that you could do pretty much whatever you want. On the other hand you could buy a bike for 500-550 and may have slightly better components (shifters, derailleurs) but would still have the same fork as the $350 bike had stock.. I'd personally rather live with less than perfect shifting knowing the front end isn't going to snap off on a decent of the local XC loop..

Oh, and stay away from the Colorado.

(PS. Im a bike tech at *****)