mtbr member
    Jul 2005

newly rebuilt 1999 Diamondback X-6

Here's pics of my newly rebuilt 6" travel Diamondback X-6. Some "old skool": seat, frame); some new school: cranks, wheels, rear shock; and some middle school: brakes, handlebar, fork. Rides even better now than it ever has. So easy to manual over things it's ridiculous.
    Attached Images Attached Images

John Galt
    Sweet ride - looking good!

Devolution is real!
    Very nice. Do you do a lot of jumping with it?

MattSavage

How much travel?

I'm assuming 6".

That's a pretty sweet looking set up.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    yes, 6" in the rear via the new romic shock. By the way, if anyone is interested, the frame is for sale with seatpost/seat/f. der. for $350 + shipping.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    thats a sick looking bike... i've been using this as a point of reference for fixing up my x6

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

99 Diamondback X-6 long travel rear suspension option

I have owned 2 of the 99 x6's, one pearl and the other yellow/blue. I installed the factory long travel rear links to get the 6 inch travel and installed a latter model Fox air spring shock (7.5 X 2 inch ) and it worked quit well. You would probably have to have a machine shop build them for you as they are very difficult to find. I would think the Fox DHX 5.0 air would work well on this bike. The attached picture of the long travel links identifies the 5 inch travel shock mounting hole with the plastic plug in it and the open 6 inch hole. I can add pictures of the 4.5 /5 inch stock links if requested - I have a pair of these.
    Last edited by gschacht; 07-01-2009 at 06:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    does any one have a set of these links they want to sell?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    point and shooting the x-6 in missoula, mt... see pic

mtbr member
    Nice looking x-bikes. I'm in the processes of updating my 1999 x-10. I remember back when I was 17 I decided I wanted this bike instead of getting my license and a car! A choice I still do not regret.

For those of you who have/had this bike what would be a good fork (mid or new school) recommendation for this bikes geometry.
    Last edited by Fluffy_Unicorn; 08-20-2009 at 06:51 PM.
    [SIZE="1"]"Now that we're official, you think we have room for one more on the Rad team?" - RAD[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Anyone have a line on some of those 6" linkages? I am looking for a set.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

1999 Diamondback 6 inch travel rear sus. links

Attached is a picture of the link. It has a 5 inch travel mounting position (identified) and a 6 inch travel position. The correct shock is a 7.5 X 2 - the Fox air on 6 inch setting is great. You could have a machine shop make the links from the picture - it will be difficult to find the links, but good luck - I owned a 1999 X6 pearl and blue, size large at one time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails newly rebuilt 1999 Diamondback X-6-b0000601-2-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. I have a grey metallic '00 that I am looking to update to a more F/R friendly bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback_X6
    Anyone have a line on some of those 6" linkages? I am looking for a set.
    I actually used some Intense M1 plates(the separate plates...not the one-piece linkage) on the rear of mine for a while. Gave it around 7" of travel in the rear and adjustments for head angle and BB height. I have a set if you're interested...PM me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Lookin good. I actually found that with a long travel setup like that my x6's front wheel came up almost too easily, so I played around with it and discovered that decreasing the front travel by about 10mm solved it. Now I'm running a 120mm fork and I get 130mm of rear travel and the wheelie problem is gone. Just fyi in case someone else was bugged by their front wheel popping up almost immediately on ascents.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    -Albert Einstein
    On the Theory of Relativity-

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Rear linkage

Hey, I just bought a 1999 X6. Can anyone tell me how to adjust the rear suspension travel. Do just change the mount hole (which one is 5in) or do you have to flip the link? Would anyone have an old user manual for it?
    Thanks.

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by paulino4
    Hey, I just bought a 1999 X6. Can anyone tell me how to adjust the rear suspension travel. Do just change the mount hole (which one is 5in) or do you have to flip the link? Would anyone have an old user manual for it?
    Thanks.

Just change the mounting hole. The rearward one is 5" the forward one is 6"
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

RIP Friendgirl
    Only with the DH links do you have the option for 6" of travel. The original links are 3.75" & 5". The 5" hole is forward facing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Any luck finding replacement bushings for the X link frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

What rear disc brakes did you get to fit?

Quote Originally Posted by joncmack View Post
    Here's pics of my newly rebuilt 6" travel Diamondback X-6. Some "old skool": seat, frame); some new school: cranks, wheels, rear shock; and some middle school: brakes, handlebar, fork. Rides even better now than it ever has. So easy to manual over things it's ridiculous.
    I have one of these also, but haven't been able to find a disc brake that fits the mounting bracket. What did you get to fit or did you have someone change the frame bracket to fit standard disc brakes.

Thanks for any info.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

brakes

=javguy;10931104]I have one of these also, but haven't been able to find a disc brake that fits the mounting bracket. What did you get to fit or did you have someone change the frame bracket to fit standard disc brakes.

Thanks for any info.[/QUOTE]

I have an x10 and an x6. If you have a modern post mount fork, any modern shimano brake will fit. The bracket for the rear I bought at an online bike shop, wiggle or chain reaction, and my local shop fitted shimano deore brakes with no problem. I'm away for work, but when I return I can find the adapter model.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hi, this is the mount I used for the rear brakes - Hayes Adapter-OEM Front IS 20mm - 8 "- from chain reaction, with a few washers, the bike shop fit 8" disc shimano deore. There might be a similar adapter for other sized discs.