mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Newbie to mountain bike riding

Need advise on bike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    I'm new to mountain biking. I have been with my friends to just local trails here in modesto CA. But will be going to. Ore advanced trails such as toro Park. Anyways they all have giant 29er bikes that cost starting about 800. I saw at a local target store a Diamondback that has the same features as the giant. It has disc brakes and from adjustable shocks. I'm sure it's not the same quality as a giant. But is it a good beginner bike? Or should I go with a giant? I have been Riding for about five months so it is something I will continue on doing. Just wanted to get your thoughts. Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

mtbr member
    Congrats on getting into mountain biking. I grew up in Modesto myself, there isn't much to ride around there except for maybe Dry Creek. As for the bike, you were probably looking at a Diamondback Overdrive. I don't have one but they are great bikes. They are available in different models and have different levels of components ranging from cheap to very high end carbon fiber. I started out on a Diamondback recoil and switched to a Mission. Diamondback makes very high quality bikes and despite what people will tell you, they are not a Wal-Mart bike. Far from it! That would be a good beginner bike depending on what model of Overdrive it is. Diamondbacks quality is definitely on par with Giant and pretty much any other major bike company.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    ThanK you for the information. Dry Creek is the only place here to ride. I'm going to expand more to the bay area to ride. I went to world of wheels. The sales man ask what I was looking for an I explain and he took me straight to the Giants and specialized bikes. He didn't even mention Diamondbacks. I belive it was the respond bike I saw. I'll have to look to make sure when I go back to target. I did Alot of looking at suspension and what not. Hard tail will be just fine for what I'll be doing.

mtbr member
    I work for a unamed big box that sells DB (rhymes with "Rick's") and I've worked on a lot of them. Anyways, I don't have an issue with the bike per se, but I've see some pretty horrific builds by "mechanics" at big boxes. Just be sure to have the bike checked out by some one who knows what their doing.

mtbr member
    Ugh, World of Wheels lol. I used to work at that store, also the one in Stockton (closed), and Fun Sport Bikes in Mchenry Village. They are owned by the same guy (Steve). He is a real crooked individual and they are way overpriced. Granted, I worked there about 11 years ago before I joined the military but I wouldn't set foot in those stores if my life depended on it. Yea, figure out which model of Diamondback it was and then you can get an idea of what you want. You can usually find them cheaper online but it is also good to support your local bike shop if they carry Diamondback. However, I think the only shops in Modesto are the overpriced ones owned by Steve and they haven't carried Diamondback since the mid 90's anyways.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Toddre I will definitely take it to a bike shop and have them tune it up. Desert_rat I heard that Alot from people about those two shops. Sad because I would love to help the local stores. But at the same time I don't want to be ripped off. And pressed into a bike I don't want or need.