mtbr member
    Jun 2011

New Response problems

I just bought my diamondback response and love it. I am having problems adjousting the rear derailur, i cannot for the life of me get it to go to the smallest gear. It also wants to skipp the second gear. this is all being tested from the largest front gear.

I appologieze as my terminoligy is not good on the high low gears.

any help would be appreciated though!

thanks!

Singletrack Slayer
    Take it back to the shop for a free adjustment. Ask them about it and try to learn. Usually the cable tension needs tighten as you "break in " your bike. Sounds like you could have bent your derailleur hanger, H limit screw could be too tight . Also don't crosschain, run big and big or small and small, gives for a bad chainline and you can get better gearing in 2x4 vs 1x8 ie ... Will make skipping and rub the front derailleur cage too when you crosschain.
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I know your not supposed to but i bought this online and assembled it myself, the deraileur was already put together i just could not get it adjusted right. I might just give up and take it into a shop and pay the 50-70 bucks to have them fix everything up right......I just like doing things on my own, with my own tools.....

Singletrack Slayer
    Well, no offense. take it there, buying online, at least you'll support your local shop now! A good tune-up/Bolt check is a good idea if you are not a seasoned bike mechanic. Lots of little things to check for; It's safer for you and your bike.
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Unscrew the barrel adjuster little bit while turning cranks intill it goes threw all te gears good. Next set your "H" and "L" screws. These screws allow you only to go to big ring and small ring out back. The. Adjust the "b" screw so that the small pulley is right above the cassette teeth.
    2011 transition 250
    2009 DB scapegoat

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I will agree with Dave on this one. Being a bike tech, I have seen people go through this many many times before. The problem is, if you don't have all of the tools at home (i.e. the park tools drop out hanger alignment tool) and don't feel like spending 50 some odd dollars for that one tool, then do it right and have a shop take care of you. When I was running my Response Comp last year, I had a ride that somehow bent my dropout hanger by a millimeter. This deviation in the dropout hanger was all it took for my shifting to go whacky. Luckily I have a collection of tools at home and got it fixed asap. I've seen people let this go though, and not change the "L" limiter screw (for example) and then when they go to shift to the lowest gear, the derailleur cages gets in the line of the spokes and next thing i know, I have a bike rolling into the shop with a busted derailleur, a few bent chain links, and a bent dropout hanger. Granted, this is an extreme scenario, it happens. So just get it looked at by a shop and have them go over the torque on all of your bolts to make sure you and your bike are happy customers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    well i found some better tutoirals and got everything alligned last night. everything flows through each ger quickly and with out hesitation. everything is working awesome now. For people like me that would rather learn how to do than pay someone else to, check out these videos:

well if i had 2 more posts i could post links

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    one more post

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    rear deraileur video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzvfCaIbyQ

front deraileur video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngm6d...eature=related

these two are super helpfull for people that would rather learn (even if they break things in the process) than pay someone else to do it. I hope its helpfull to some people.

now i have searched the forums and cant find the info i am looking for, does anyone know if the stock diamondback response base bike can support aftermarket disc brakes? I would like to upgrade to some bb7's or similar but am unsure as if the stock rims can support them, i know the fork can as it has mounting locations for the calipers.

thanks!

mtbr member
    I found them vids to help me as I was having issues with shifting. Still going to bring it in for a free tune up for life..lol Also people should think about the classes REI and other shops do around your town. Great ways to meet others and get more involved with biking as you learn/work on your own bike.
    As far as upgrading I dont think the stock rims can mount a disc. Do you see a place to mount the disc on the rim axle?
    Teach me the way..

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Great! I am glad they helped you out.

I am not sure if they have mounting locations on the rim itself or not, i know the fork has it. Do we know if the Response Sport and the Response base use the same rims?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    They do not. The Response Sport uses a "disc brake only" version of the same rim, and the hub has the bolt tabs to mount a rotor to the hub. The Response has a v-brake compatible rim with a standard hub. You would need to buy new wheels if you wanted to convert to disc brakes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    yep i checked that out, kinda stinks.....thanks for finding that for me!